Quantcast

Trooper rear end

bigdan120

Ok guys I know I have beat this horse before but it needs done again. The one center pin on the spider gears broke again! You can tell by knock knock knock driving down the road. I do not have a clue why it broke again. Everything is tight in the rear end. So anyways back to point A does anyone have any?

It just has the physical dimensions that it may be the best to squeeze in. Other then that I believe you can get a limited slip gear ratio is 3.?? I believe so it would be better for crawling. I am going to a machine shop today just to bs alittle about getting gears made. Or maybe comeing up with a fix for our rears.

The guy at the machine shop told me that the cross shafts we have are poor design with the wrong materials.To hard and heat treated. Keep in mind I am NOT a machinist.... Being that said unless they changed the rears design it will never be better unless we get cross shafts made. He told me unless I had a bunch for him todo he wouldnt considerate to do because of cost to me. So i dont know if will be worth it. Going to go look at some other options. But im welding it up at this point...... Unless I come up with something soon because its my snow plow...

If your missing a spherical shim from behind one of the spider gears, It could cause the cross pin to break. When I provided diff upgrade kits, I would

actually have the installer grind the center of the first cross pin shaft, weakening it maybe 10%. This was necessary in order for the spider assembly

to be able to go back together after it was shimmed correctly, The factory didn't shim them right when new. Out of hundreds of kits I sold I never had

anyone mention of ever having a pin brake. Sounds to me like you might have something else wrong.

I did install the kit. and I went through it pretty good. Im not really a newbie at this stuff..Just saying. I dont know what else it could be. I can say I run it hard hill climbing and mud and stuff. The rev limiter gets banged almost all the time. The rear spider shafts have broken 2 times so far. 1st time one broke this time both broke. I dont know what the answer is but Im weary of buying a new rear if this is a continuing issue for me. Any input is Very welcomed.......

I have had my rear differential go south twice, had to buy a new one, which got Lennyized and had that one blow a bearing, so I put the innards of the first in and I'm driving on that now. I'm not sure if I did the complete Lennyizing of that one, but I definitely put the grade 12 bolts in, I think that is the minimum requirement and the rest is refinement and improvement that should be done if possible. I haven't rebuilt the one that needs bearings yet, but I think I have every thing I need. Probably do it this winter, since I can't drive it any way, too cold. The first failure had the spider pin slide out and grind up my case, probably still usable, but probably not advisable.

http://www.utvboard.com/topic/3214-rear-diff/?p=18543

Are your pins comming out or just breaking. If there coming out and then braking, the fix is all together different. Don't trust the

wimppy little set screw, their tips can shear off. Use the punch set technique.

Well If you notice the tired of this bullshit applied to the center carrier pins along with some of the tired of pulling apart crap applied the the outside spider gear pins. To answer your question the pins broke then worked there way out to try to ruin my case. So I applied the tech knowledge of the Lincoln gods. I figured either way if it breaks again it's gonna be junk looking at my rear inside. It was prob 3 licks to the center of blowing it apart. It beat the one pin round off my pinion shaft.

post-1572-0-58947600-1416608829_thumb.jpg

post-1572-0-31349800-1416608857_thumb.jpg