Quantcast

Another weekend report, more problems

ERV JR

Well I had alot of fun, but the first day out I had tube in my right rear tire and the valve stem ripped off the tube. Stupid me left the jack and ratchet at camp so walked back and took the golf car back to change the tire. Fixed intime to go to the lake for the firework show. Next the wife and sis inlaw took off in the mornin in the trooper thru the trail to the lake to set up to get us a spot on the beach. After a few hours of us all swiming on having fun so lady came walking out the trails and asks for help ,said they had a truck that was stuck and just needed a "little" tug or pull to get out. Turns out its a 3/4 longbed chevy on a single track fire road, the edges of the road were really soft wet sand and he decided to make a u-turn there and got the thing stuck up to the diff cover. I told him i would not be able to help but he insisted I try ,so on the second tug my tow strap popped off and tore the connector off for the cooling fan which i didnt know. I went back to the beach swam and had a few more beers only to see the same lady come walking back and asked for a ride to her camp to get a jack since they were still stuck. I gave her a ride back and on my way back to the beach the cooling bypass hose from the head to the radiator hose burst as a result of the fan not working. i wasnt watching the gauge since it was a narrow single track on the side of a cliff. Parked the trooper off the side of the trail in a wider spot ,of it was 95 deg out also. Got a ride to my truck ,drove into town and bought some hose. Got a ride back to the trooper fixed it and got to the beach to load up all our stuff.Went for a morning ride and on the shift the roll pin for the shift fork shattered, really shattered into 5 pieced and fell out so i only had second. i had a few machine screws in the storage comparment so I used that and a sliver of the roll pin and tapped that in and was on my way back.

All in all it was alot of fun and got to enjoy a good weekend camping with the family.Now I am going to have to try to use a sidewall patch and fix my tire or try a tube agin ,but dont like that idea since i couldnt find the right size the first time and the valve stem ripped off.

I also noticed that my trailing arm mount brackets were cracking at the weld, I belive this was due to a poor fit. I can see that there was a gap that was just filled with a poor weld bead. i am going to take this thing apart and gusset and brace a few things,also mount a jack and tool box to the roof rack, build rock sliders, and rebuild the rear cage

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Jon C
      Hello to anyone who reads this. I am Jon and I own J&M Outdoor Power, a very small, small engine repair shop. I was approached by Coleman about 6 months ago to become one of their Warranty Centers.
      I recently received 3 different UT400's and a UT500 all with similar issues. These units range from 2 months to 2 years old. Customers state that the unit(s) was/were running fine, then heard a pop and a loss of power, two would no longer start. The two that would run would not achieve normal operating speed (around 20mph I would say) without redlining the RPMs. I quickly found that the Valve lash on each unit had become too large on some(both intake and exhaust) and too tight on one(just intake). 
      After setting the gaps to .005(I found multiple different people suggesting bigger and smaller gaps, but no definitive Coleman Spec number yet) every unit starts, runs, and achieves top speed without issue.
      I don't know how many others have come across these issues, and I wanted to get something out on the web for others in the same predicament. 
      Please let me know if you have had similar issues.
      Edit: I realize that this will not be a fix all solution for this issue, as the oil level and condition should be verified before moving to the valves. Many times improper oil conditions will cause valve lash to change. These units all have good oil and proper oil changes.
    • By aefron88
      Since I've seen some questions on this I took some pictures and will provide instructions on a valve adjustment for the UT400. This should be the same for the 550's and other various Coleman/Hisun single cylinder models with the cylinder slanted aft.
      I have seen several people ask of it is really necessary, and read several reports of valves being out of adjustment from the factory. My valves were .004" intake, and .010" exhaust with about 5 hrs on the machine.  I've seen different numbers thrown around for factory spec, but I decided to go with 0.005".
      This is called valve lash. What is is is a gap between the rocker arm and the valve then the camshaft isnt opening the valve. Why does it matter? If it's too large the valve doesn't open all the way, if it's too small the valve dosent close. This can cause valve damage (overheating) as well as loss of engine power (burned fuel is going out exhaust rather than pushing the piston dow).
      Tools required : 5MM Allen wrench, 10MM box wrench, needle nose pliers, flat feeler gauge set, rags
      First you need to remove the fan cover on the passenger side. There is a cooling vent hose on the back side, remove the hose clamp and slide it off. From there there are 4x 10mm bolts holding the cover. The forward ones can be accessed from under the seat.
      Next remove the spark plug from the drivers side. Carefully wiggle the spark plug wire off. Grip it as low as possible and give it a little twisting motion as you pull it off to help free it. Its a tight fit for a socket, but there is a sheet metal wrench in the toolkit that fits it. Unscrew the plug and set it aside. This allows you to spin the motor over freely with no compression to fight. When you reassemble this is a good opportunity to switch to an NGK iridium plug for better performance/less fouling DR8EIX)
      Next you need to remove the intake and exhaust valve covers. The intake us the forward one. There are 3x 5MM Allen screws to remove. The Exhaust is the rear with 2x 5MM Allen bolts. Both covers have O-Rings instead of gaskets and are reusable. When you remove the rear be careful and use your rags as there will be oil that drips out.
      Next up we need to spin the motor over to top dead center. Grab each rocker arm and give em a little wiggle up and down. Spin the engine over by grabbing the fan with your other hand. Spin the engine over until both rockers have some wiggle and are loose.

Once both rockers are loose slide the feeler gauge in like shown above. Try different feelers as needed to determine your starting spec. You should feel some drag but still be able to move the feeler without too much force.
      If you need to adjust, use the 10MM wrench to slightly loosen the locknut, then with the correct feeler gauge in place, tighten the top square nut while wiggling the feeler in and out. Once you have it right you need to tighten the 10mm lock nut without moving the square head bolt. Once the lock nut is tight recheck the clearance.
      That's it, button everything back up and make sure you have it all reassembled before running it again.
      If you find this helpful give me a thumbs up or comment. If you have any questions or need more help let me know. If there's interest maybe I'll do some more of these
    • By Wesley
      I have a 2022 500 Hisun product, I have had them in the past. I change my oil myself and trying to drain through the hole where I remove the plug is a mess.  How does everyone keep the belly pan clean during the oil and filter service?

Wes Jackson
    • By TBoss 560 2023
      Got a new 2023 TBoss 560 with 40 miles on it now. Noticed after about and hour of plowing snow coolant started hissing out the overflow tube. Initially made a pop or blow kind of noise and then saw some steam and smelt coolant. Coolent level is in the middle between low and high (running or not). Coolant under radiator cap is full when cold, appears nice and green. Checked oil doesn’t look milky. The temp ranges from 160-180 F running for 15-20. Noticed the other day there was some more coolant that blew out the overflow tube. I called the dealer and they said the system could be purging air. Dealer is 2+ hours away so wanting to get more thoughts before considering to bring it in. Also noticing hot/burning rubber smell but I think this is from the belt breaking in? Also notice the coolant smell from the exhaust when in higher RPMs. No white smoke from the exhaust. Also another possible issue. I notice that there’s a little bounce when on pavement. You can also hear the CVT kind of make noise with this bounce in tandem. Is this normal?
    • By lowgear52
      Does anyone out there have a rear differential for a trooper for sale?