Quantcast

Back to shocks

Kinarfi

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed my shock supplier, [email protected], and asked a few questions, thought you might be interested.

QUESTION:

When I got the shocks, they were fully collapsed, I thought they would be extended or held collapsed because of the nitrogen pressure, I assume they are charged, am I correct? and for troopers, you need to shorten the eye adapter to .630". I had to grind mine down and .63 seems to work. Why are the bolts so long, are the intended to have the limit straps mounted on them?

ANSWER:

We send the longest bolts to fit the longest Joyners out there, after selling a lot of sets, we have seen they have alot of different bolt lenghts.

They sent the wrong eye adaptors, the should have sent the Joyner ones, they sent the long ones, sorry and I would put about 50 PSI of air pressure on them to start and see if they are too soft, if so, add 25 PSI air until you like the ride. Mike

I shortened the straps so I only had 26 1/4" from bracket to top of 2 X 2, used for straight edge, and took everything off the jacks, sits good, slight droop, put bungees on to pull the play in the straps forward away from the exhaust.

Drove it down to fill with gas and got a surprise, I had pumped all the gas out of the tank into the surge tank and when I filled it ------- I expected to put about 10 gallons in. To my surprise, I only got 7.619 gallons, so I went home and measured my tank, did the math, 8.25 gallon, read the manual, 30 liters = 7.925 gallons. With the aprox 1.5 gallons in the surge tank, I'm still short of 10 gal. Just an FYI.

Kinarfi

I emailed my shock supplier, [email protected], and asked a few questions, thought you might be interested.

QUESTION:

When I got the shocks, they were fully collapsed, I thought they would be extended or held collapsed because of the nitrogen pressure, I assume they are charged, am I correct? and for troopers, you need to shorten the eye adapter to .630". I had to grind mine down and .63 seems to work. Why are the bolts so long, are the intended to have the limit straps mounted on them?

ANSWER:

We send the longest bolts to fit the longest Joyners out there, after selling a lot of sets, we have seen they have alot of different bolt lenghts.

They sent the wrong eye adaptors, the should have sent the Joyner ones, they sent the long ones, sorry and I would put about 50 PSI of air pressure on them to start and see if they are too soft, if so, add 25 PSI air until you like the ride. Mike

I shortened the straps so I only had 26 1/4" from bracket to top of 2 X 2, used for straight edge, and took everything off the jacks, sits good, slight droop, put bungees on to pull the play in the straps forward away from the exhaust.

Drove it down to fill with gas and got a surprise, I had pumped all the gas out of the tank into the surge tank and when I filled it ------- I expected to put about 10 gallons in. To my surprise, I only got 7.619 gallons, so I went home and measured my tank, did the math, 8.25 gallon, read the manual, 30 liters = 7.925 gallons. With the aprox 1.5 gallons in the surge tank, I'm still short of 10 gal. Just an FYI.

Kinarfi

I'm susprised that they didn't say anything about using nitrogen. You can also use argon. When the shocks are charged, they are extended. By the way, If you need longer bolts, I can probably find some 12"-15" long but be careful they don't hit the tires. I'm susprised the FOA people weren't more professional.

Lenny

.......... I hope he forgives me for saying this, but, he placed 2nd overall in the Baja 1000 and that deserves a tremendious amount of respect. He could very well drive my Trooper and tell me that it could be a lot better and I would listen......

Lenny

Lenny or Flatbed, tell us more about the Baja 1000 race. Congrats Flatbed, that's no mean feat.

Cheers Mike.

Shock / Ride Report----Shocks are F.O.A. 10" stroke and 26.3 fully extended with 400 over 600 springs,----- Kinarfi

Went 117 Kilometer/ 72 Miles, about 5 hours, down load GPX file and drop it in google earth. The shocks worked great and I am very satisfied with them and I haven't put any air in them yet. Think I'll back off the preload in the front shocks to soften them up now, the rear is very smooth. :) :) .

2685060310104110397jrSjot_th.jpgHere's the first of several photos taken today, some have a red dot added to show where I'm going to be in a while from where I took the photo. Does that make sense? I think the best way to see these is to use the slide show function.

Enjoy,

Kinarfi

Rocmoc, i do not use limiting straps on the front or rear. When instaled the shocks i mounted them so that when they were fully exstended the cv's were free on the front and rear. After i did that i removed the ends of the shocks and instaled a longer rubber snuber around the shaft to control how far the shock could colapse so you do not pull the cv's out when you bottom out. The way you get the ends of the shaft is by taking a alum block, drilling a hole the size of your shock shaft, splitting it in half so you can get it around the shaft, hold it in a vise, heat the shaft end to release the lock tight (very important or you will strip alum threads). than you can twist it off. use blue lock tight when you put it back on, not red. One thing to keep in mind is that if you set your swing arms up courect you cv angles get better when the susp drops or compreses.

I'm susprised that they didn't say anything about using nitrogen. You can also use argon. When the shocks are charged, they are extended. By the way, If you need longer bolts, I can probably find some 12"-15" long but be careful they don't hit the tires. I'm susprised the FOA people weren't more professional.

Lenny

More questions to and answers from [email protected] at F.O.A.

QUESTION : Most people use nitrogen instead of air, do you think there is much difference? Can you send me the correct eye adapters? While I did get mine ground down, on a grind stone, I'm sure the machined pieces will fit better.

So Far, I'm very happy with the ride I'm getting.

ANSWER : Yes, I will send them today

Air is 87 percent N2 and it never touches the oil so you are fine. The main reason people use N2 is because, air pressure in most shops only goes to about 100 psi and many times (not me) but many people like to run up to 200 PSI so, N2 is the easy way to get the 200 PSI But start with 25 and move up 25 at a time ..... Mike

As of today, I have to give these shocks and springs my endorsement, only flaw was they took a while to get here and I got the wrong eye adapters, I like the low pressure which I think will help keep it from blowing seals, the price was good and the ride is great. Two Thumbs UP!!!! :D

Kinarfi

we use nitrogen because there is no moisture in it, when the oil gets hot the preasure does not go up in the shock as much. Your valving will stay alot cleaner. As far as the preasure, the shock is not a joyner shock which is alot different story

Flatbed I wrote to you awhile back and didn't get an answer or I missed it. Being a newby that could surely be the case. I was told by Lenny that you are the shock guru! So I wanted to know what you thought about the air shocks that King is offering. would they be a good choice or would the dule coil over fox be better. Myself and my customers are not racing just trail riding. I would sure like your advice on this.

Thanks Ed

Flatbed I wrote to you awhile back and didn't get an answer or I missed it. Being a newby that could surely be the case. I was told by Lenny that you are the shock guru! So I wanted to know what you thought about the air shocks that King is offering. would they be a good choice or would the dule coil over fox be better. Myself and my customers are not racing just trail riding. I would sure like your advice on this.

Thanks Ed

Just trail riding and no racing or trying to slide, that sounds like what my wife and I do and so far and after some replies from F.O.A. I give them a thumbs up and suggest you consider them also. My wife says they're good also.

Kinarfi

There has been alot of info put on this site about different shocks. I think everybody here knows that i am a fox shock person, I am sure there are other good shocks, but i know the fox shock is a very good and reliable shock, i do not know the others. With my trooper it does not matter how i drive it, wether it is like a idiot or just putting around with the wife, it does very well. The fox 8" shocks fit with out alot of modes on the rear, the front is alittle more difficult because the trooper does not set there front ends up with the right shock geo. I do not run any limiting straps on the front or rear, this lets the springs work in there full cycle. I have over 14" of travel in the front and rear. I am sure you can buy a shock that will bolt in, but if you do the suspension will not be right. Almost anything is better than what comes stock on a trooper, as far as air shocks there is no way i would do that, i think when you are on a side hill it would be bad news, the high side would be trying to flip you, and the low side would be helping. It cost more for good shocks but is well worth it, take your time and get what you want. Race desert.com has alot of good deals on shocks, I just like the fox shocks because they have always been great and had no problems. the coil overs are the only way to go, no ifs about it.

350 over 400 on the front, 8.5 fox shock

400 over 600 on the rear, do not go any softer on the springs. 8.5 fox shock

No resivours, you do not need them.

Rocmoc, just read some of the back post, you say you are running 300's over 600's on the rear. you are going to be to soft on the 300's, you will have a hard time staying off the 600's when crusing. if i were you(i could not be that lucky) i think i would run a 450 because of the differnt shock angle that you have. Tell me if i am wrong but when you are hauling ass around a corner the back is going to snap loose and turn the car very fast (your eyes will get big). The only way this won't happen is if you are on the 600 all the time. The 300 is way to weak.

Thanks Ed

Fast Ed .. I've got the King shocks and once you get over the price of them, they're great! Last week I inadvertantly jumped my Trooper, had it about 6 feet in the air and it landed really good absorbing the impact without any jarring ... they folks with me were really impressed and I was happy nothing broke. The only reason I chose the Kings was there was no requirement for any mods to install.