Quantcast

Southern Utah Jamboree - The next Get Together

Kinarfi

I was talking to a friend of mine about riding and he suggested that the area west of Blanding Utah might be good, said some of it was quite isolated/remote and should be traveled with multiple vehicle in case you have a problem. It's south of Moab and there are some famous places there like News Paper Rock and Kane Creek which I went down and got stuck on and would do it again in a heart beat, very enjoyable!!!

2258552610104110397mcLLNZ_th.jpg

I plan on going there in the next month or so just to see what's there, if anyone's interested in going too, let me know.

Kinarf

• Like 1

We are in! Remember we need room for the Rig.

Just looked at historical weather. What timeframe were you thinking? Times we are not available, Apr & early May, end of July & early Aug, end of Sept & Oct.. Len (Lenny), we would tie this with a visit to your area & Coral Reef.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

We are in! Remember we need room for the Rig.

Just looked at historical weather. What timeframe were you thinking? Times we are not available, Apr & early May, end of July & early Aug, end of Sept & Oct.. Len (Lenny), we would tie this with a visit to your area & Coral Reef.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Did you mean Coral Pink Sand Dunes, what year are you thinking for the later months? Looking at those date -end of- I'd have to guess that you're going Going Camping all the Time, Trooper driving Help group. :lol::blink::rolleyes::D Remember, we're here for you when you need us!!

kinarfi

• Like 1

Guest Lenny

I was talking to a friend of mine about riding and he suggested that the area west of Blanding Utah might be good, said some of it was quite isolated/remote and should be traveled with multiple vehicle in case you have a problem. It's south of Moab and there are some famous places there like News Paper Rock and Kane Creek which I went down and got stuck on and would do it again in a heart beat, very enjoyable!!!

2258552610104110397mcLLNZ_th.jpg

I plan on going there in the next month or so just to see what's there, if anyone's interested in going too, let me know.

Kinarfi

Sounds interesting. Let me know when you plan to expore the area and Jeanne and I may meet you and Linda over there. I'm a bit busy for a few weeks though. Check out these sites

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?

zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=4wheeldrive&cdn=autos&tm=147&gps=142_828_1005_734&f=00&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.atvutah.com/southern/canyon.htm

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/od/utahtrails/Utah_Off_Road_Driving_Trails_and_Maps_For_4x4_Trucks_4WD_SUVs.htm

Lenny

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kinarfi, Looks like not far enough West for you. Also nave not seen anything about trails.

rocmoc n AZ/Baja

Haven't made it down there yet, Hoping later to call Lenny and see if he want's to go check it out later this month or early next month.

It kind of seems we have settled on this area for our Jamboree #3, does every one concur?

If so, Now we need to come uo with a date.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Rocmoc, I haven't really accepted this task yet, just seem to be doing it, guess that's good enough, but please, make suggestions or is Blanding Utah the area and we just need a date. Please post dates you would like, dates you can't go, and any good info. I have a couple of calendars in the first post, and will update them as info comes in.

Kinarfi.

• Like 1

No dates have been proposed by any one!!!! Here's my suggestion for the Blanding area early May, I looked at the monthly climate summary. Still planning to go preview the area, My friend suggested it, my son's inlaws go there for family reunions and Rocmoc jumped on the idea and tagged me with heading it up. Just a thought, but does any one have any interest in going there to check it out next month (HOPEFULLY)

If the copied page doesn't post properly, go to http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?utblan

BLANDING, UTAH (420738)

Period of Record Monthly Climate Summary

Period of Record : 12/8/1904 to 12/31/2005

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual

Aver Max. Temp (F) 39.1 44.9 52.7 62.2 72.3 83.3 88.7 86.2 78.2 66.0 51.4 41.2 63.8

Aver Min. Temp (F) 17.2 22.3 27.8 34.3 42.1 50.7 57.9 56.2 48.3 38.0 26.7 19.2 36.7

Aver Total Precip (in.) 1.39 1.21 1.05 0.87 0.71 0.45 1.15 1.38 1.28 1.45 1.05 1.33 13.32

Ave Total Snow (in.) 10.8 7.3 4.4 1.9 0.2 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.3 3.3 9.8 38.2

Aver Snow Depth (in.) 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1

Percent of possible observations for period of record.

Max. Temp.: 96.1% Min. Temp.: 96.6% Precipitation: 96.9% Snowfall: 91.9% Snow Depth: 70%

Kinarfi

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a problem, what do you want to do at the jamboree? Some want to test their equipment to the limits, others want to go sight seeing in a new area.

While Lenny and I were out, West of Monticello, Utah, I don’t think we accomplished much, except for those who want sight see. Lenny proposed the idea of creating a route of about 100 miles which sound good, but in reality, I personally believe that’s too much. After Lenny & Jeanne headed home, Linda & I took off on a 109 mile ride. The specs are:

5:15 Moving

1:13 Stopped

6:28 Total

109.4 Miles

42.6 Max Speed

16.8 Ave. Speed

This was just the two of us with no problems and one stop to eat, plus some other necessary stops, on forest roads that were nearly as smooth as pavement in a lot of places and the thing that slowed me down the most was the scenery, very beautiful, I loved the green stuff and the deep canyon stuff.

My first opinion was that the jamboree might be held at or near Devils Canyon, It APPEARS to have lots of trails and set up for ATV play and has paths to long trails for the easy drivers.

Right now, there are still no planned drives or places or even a good camp site.

We need to find a local that can do most of the work like Devin did for the last get together.

I asked Lenny for a report and here’s his report, Plus some comments to me about his trip home that I have pared down.

Lenny:

We went west on Highway 95 out of Blanding on around the north end of lake Powell towards Hanksville. This is one fantastic route. Outrageous scenery, but very slow going… All up and down curvy roads, but it was worth it. There is a trail south of Hanksville that I have wanted to run, so I had a chance to go by it and check it out some, didn't ride it though. We did however take a short ride on a trail we first thought was the trail I was looking for. It was a different trail. We went in only about a mile or so. Wow, perfect stuff. These aren't forest roads but old miners roads and exploration roads so they weren't put in with the idea of regular travel like forest roads. This is all canyon lands stuff but outside of the national park. The road's run the canyon and go up and down and in and out of them. It looks perfect for the Jamboree. We can do real long runs like all day ones going out and backs. Room for Rocmoc to park his monster rig too. We need to plan a trip of about 5 days to check them out properly. Maybe a few days here and a few days looking more around Blanding. This is a colder weather riding area like October or November time or maybe spring but runoff may make it impassable. The mile in we went was already lifetime memorable. You won't believe it when you see it. This has the potential of being a Jamboree that is talked about for years to come, no kidding. Until this new spot is checked out. We will have to move each night to a new camp site but, not that far and that's not to big a deal for everybody. Load up the Trooper, move and unload. Look at these trail starting points. We went on the first one and you will see a good camping area just off the road about 1/8 mile. Track the trail in for a mile or so and check the elevation changes. This is good stuff. The drive between the first and the last is some of the most beautiful scenery on earth. They won't regret the drive, I promise. Look at some google perspective views to see the terrain.

N37 4.497 min W110 deg 12.452 (went into this one about a mile or until the first 200' elevation change to the top of the mesa above the canyon. An easy climb but memerable)

N37 deg 41.062 min W110 deg 13.235 min

N38 deg 8.495 min W110 deg 36.584 min ( this is the one I have always wanted to ride )

The trails at Blanding were more forest type roads. They are quite smooth and there are few surprises and challenges. I like some challenges and I’m not talking rock crawling challenges, I like that too, But neat stuff that makes you appreciate the Troopers capabilities. There were a few good trails but not a good network of trails where we road but there is quite a bit of area we didn’t cover. I'm looking for trails that everyone can navigate in a stock trooper and a T4 also, even though there may be a few spots that the T4 would need a bit of assistance but not much. I don't want trails that are all foot ball sized rocks either, even though there will probably be at least a bit of that on any trail. On the way home I may have found some good stuff but I'm not going to get into it until after Jeff and I check it out. All I will say is it appears to have all the making of being one of the most memorable trips you will ever take in your life, both scenery wise and ride wise. If it turns out to my expectations, all day rides packing a lunch and camera would be available. More like a Safari. The Poison Springs area goes in about 40 miles according to a write up I read where someone adventurous took their Suburban down the trail. He had to be nuts to try that but he made it. The trails are mostly smooth with occasional challenges here and there.

After looking at what Lenny suggested, I would go with the Poison Spring area which is the last suggestion. 38 08 14.30 N 110 36 22.88 W @ 4932 ft, these coordinates are for the camp area. From here, there appear to be some good scenery trails to the East and some mountains to the West. My feeling is that there is enough to do at this one site to keep most happy and busy.

After driving 109 miles (attachment) I would go for an extensive tour of the mountain area north of Blanding it’s scenic and easy, but not challenging.

The area for the jamboree is still up in the air, Please look at these suggestion and make your suggestion and comments. My self, I enjoy the scenery of an easy road as much as the challenge of tough road.

Lenny says “Your in charge so do what you think is the best”

Well, If I'm President this year, then Lenny is Vice President and ALL of you are my advisers,

SO ADVISE, PLEASE

Kinarfi

PS If you play with google earth, look at this area near Blanding, 37 48 11 N 109 35 21 W area

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Any updates? Is it still Blanding? If not how about Ouray, Co.? High, high mountains so will not be hot. Lots of AZers go there.

rocmoc n AZ

I don't think Blanding is the answer. Kinarfi said he was turning over the location choosing to me. That means it's up for grabs by anyone. I have no problem with Colorado. I do still want to check out the area south of Hanksville UT. This is canyon lands and the trails should be exciting. I went in about a mile and it was really neat, you wouldn't have gotten your land cruser in the first 200 yds. Not hard core either, sort of inbetween. The scenery is speticular especially when comming from the south. Don't know what is further in. These are not regular trails but the old mining access lines. I'll be going there to check it out probably in the spring. It will be cold right now.

Lenny

Here are my dates,

June 24th - 26th.

Location High Country in Ut or Ouray, Co. or Saint Anthony Dunes, Id.

http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthony.htm

http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27262&highlight=ouray

We have to be in Sun Valley, Id the next weekend so whatever it is; it needs to be between Tucson, AZ and Sun Valley, ID. and in COOL weather this year. I want to run the heater instead of the AC this year, LOL! Yeah, I know Ouray is a little out of the way so that would be my 3rd choice.

rocmoc n AZ

OR July 15th -17th on our return trip.

My first choice is Saint Anthony. Camping locations look great, both hookups & dry camping. Lots of room to get in with any size of rig. Bath room & showers for those without facilities.

http://www.thesandhillsresort.com/

http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthonymaps.htm

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_st_anthony.htm

http://www.duneratt.com/Sand%20Hills%20Resort/Sand_Hills.htm

There are a couple of us, yes I have been contacted, that need to tie down a date. Guess I am the pushy one, LOL!

rocmoc n AZ

OR July 15th -17th on our return trip.

My first choice is Saint Anthony. Camping locations look great, both hookups & dry camping. Lots of room to get in with any size of rig. Bath room & showers for those without facilities.

http://www.thesandhillsresort.com/

http://www.dunereview.com/saintanthonymaps.htm

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_st_anthony.htm

http://www.duneratt.com/Sand%20Hills%20Resort/Sand_Hills.htm

There are a couple of us, yes I have been contacted, that need to tie down a date. Guess I am the pushy one, LOL!

rocmoc n AZ

I'm pretty open on a date. Can go just about anytime so you guys go ahead and set a date.

Lenny

I will try and make what ever dates are decided on.I dont have as busy a schedule as some people(rocmoc) I only have a full time 50-60 hour a week 52 weeks a year job I have to worry about.(LOL)

Always enjoy a chuckle, LOL! For being retired, my schedule is not always flexible. Long standing comments every year!

rocmoc n AZ

Depending on which date, should one of the dates I proposed is selected, we will be going to one of the other locations on the other date. In other words, if Saint A is selected for the June date, we do Ouray on the July date and the opposite with the dates switched.

rocmoc n AZ