Quantcast

Southern Utah Jamboree - The next Get Together

Kinarfi

Guest Lenny

Done checking out site south of Hanksville, Ut that I sujested some time ago. Both kinarfi and myself feel it's a go. Good trails, some purely 4x4 off road only vehilcles and I don't mean that you can take your Toyota Four Runner because you can't. There are medium technetical trails, some including some of the most awesome scenery you'll find on any trail. There are easier trails and graded trails for going to and from other trails. There are also a number of trails that are susposed to be off road jeep trails only that we didn't get the chance to explore. Large flat camping site is just off the main road and everybody will have easy access with out sand or rocks to drive through. Rocmoc, your good to go with that 5 star hotel you bring along. I'll post pictures soon and Kinarfi has video and his comments to post, also soon. Lots of trails, more then we can ride in the alloted time. This should be the best site yet with something for everyone including those who just want off road scenery. A camera will be a must.

That said, It's time to vote, and I vote we go to this south of Hanksville site.

You will see video and pics shortly and then it will be time for everyone who is interested in comming to vote. I sujest we close the vote on April 15th.

Lenny

I drove thru town and made some notes and then did it again in the opposite direction, so starting at the west end of town at the Fremont river, on highway 24 going east, this is what I noted.

Speed limit 40

Dept of transportation compound on left

Indian Artifacts, rocks closed on right

Blm office on right & up 1/2 mile

Bull mountain market on right with motel office inside

Henry mountain motel hide out on left

Henry mountain access road on right

Post office on right

Shell gas 3.799

Hanksville Inn on right

Red Rock restaurant and camp ground on left

turn off to Green River on highway 28 on left

Phillips 66 gas 3.899 on left

Blondie eatery and gifts on left

Closed Sinclair gas on right

Hanksville Medical Clinic and Information on right

Whispering Sands hotel on right Probably the nicest one

chevron gas 3.899 with burger shack and food mart on right

out of town toward Jamboree on highway 95

kinarfi

Guest Lenny

The trails looked very interesting to me. All trails have access from the Jamboree camp site.

The poison springs trail goes down to the Dirty Devil River thru high walled canyon and by June we should be able to cross the river to explore the other side too.

The other trails go up into the Bull Mtn. area for a higher elevation rides that can run 68 miles (after the snow melts away) plus many side trails to explore...elevations around 10,000 ft.

PROPOSED JAMBOREE LOCATION: DATES; June 24th - June 26th, 2011

The dry RV site is approximately 20 miles south of Hanksville on Hwy. 95. Len or Jeff will be able to give you the GPS coordinates. It is located between the 20 & 21 mile markers, it's located on the west side of Hwy. 95, and you will see a brown sign stating Bull Mtn Rd Scenic Backway. There is a large flat area that is big enough to accommodate everyone with enough space to allow everyone to park away from others so each can have some privacy and are away from the generator exhaust of others. It turned cold Thursday morning and I didn't get a picture of this site...sorry. Local history articles show there was a brief gold boom in this general area in the early 1890's.

LODGING:

You will find lodging in Hanksville:

Whispering Sands Motel, 90 S. Hwy. 95, Hanksville, UT (Phone 435-542-3238)

There are a couple others in town (Henry Mtn Hideout & Hanksville Inn) but Whispering Sands looks the best and newest. Don't expect anything fancy!

EATING OUT:

You will find food in Hanksville too. Again, nothing fancy! Stan's Burger & Blondie's Eatery. Stan's is next door to Whispering Sands Motel and Blondie's is across the street. These are all located right as you turn off of Hwy. 24 onto Hwy. 95. There is a 3rd restaurant located on the north side of Hwy. 24 - Red Rock Restaurant, 226 E 100 N

GAS:

You will have gas in Hanksville (near lodging and food, just south of Hwy. 24 & 95 intersection).

If you are traveling from the south on Hwy. 95, you will have gas in Blanding (north of the Hwy. 191/95 intersection). The gas and restaurant are CLOSED at Fry Canyon on Hwy. 95.

The Hite Marina (approx. 20 miles south of the dry camp site) should be open and have gas this time of year. Plus a marina store.

PRIVATE CAMPGROUND:

In Hanksville, on Hwy. 24, just east of the Hwy. 24/95 intersection there is the RED ROCK Campground (435-542-3235) for those who do not want to dry camp. The campground also has a restaurant.

OTHER CAMPING:

Bullfrog has developed and primitive camping available plus the Bullfrog RV Campground. Halls Crossing has developed camping plus the Halls Crossing RV Park. Hite Marina areas has primitive camping near the launch ramp, in Farley Canyon and along Dirty Devil River. Natural Bridges Natl Monument and Manti La Sal national forest both have camping (south Hwy. 95).

GROCERIES:

There is a grocery store in Hanksville /Bull Mtn Market on the south side of Hwy. 24 (east of Hwy 24/95 intersection). Also, you will find limited groceries at two gas stations.

BLM OFFICE:

There is a BLM office in Hanksville. When heading east on Hwy. 24 from the Hwy. 24/95 intersection, you will see a sign directing you to turn south. The BLM office is several blocks down on the right. Maps, brochures, points of interest, ect.

POST OFFICE:

You also have a post office in Hanksville on Hwy. 24. It is not too far from the Red Rock Restaurant and Campground.

It's a small town, you should be able to locate everything easily. All within 20 miles of the trails and proposed Jamboree Camp Site.

Best Regards to all,

Jeanne (Lenny's wife)

--------------------------------------------------------

If you have never been to this area, you may want to add a few extra days to explore other attractions. Most are off of Hwy. 95 and south of Hanksville but the first three mentioned are off of Hwy. 24.

-North of Hanksville is GOBLIN VALLEY STATE PARK (off Hwy. 24).

-San Rafael Route Designations...north of Hanksville off Hwy. 24. You have access to this area off the same road that takes you to the Goblin Valley entry road. Len and I have explored and camped in this area several times - we still have not completed it all yet. You can get a BLM visitor's guide of the San Rafael plus a map provided by Emery County at the BLM office in Hanksville. Both are free.

-East of Hanksville is CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK (off Hwy. 24).

- South of Hanksville, North Hwy. 276 / MM 26.2, brings you down to Bull Frog Bay on Lake Powell. You will find camping in this area.

-South of Hanksville at approx. the 29 mile marker is what they call a Geologic Wonderland

-Hog Springs Rest Area / Picnic Area at mile marker 33.3

-South of Hanksville is GLEN CANYON NATL RECREATION AREA / the HITE location. The Dirty Devil converges with the Colorado river (off Hwy. 95 / approx. 41.1 mile marker) - Hite Overlook. In 1964, the rising waters of Lake Powell engulfed the "boom town" of Hite. Case Hite found gold in 1883. Population increased to 200 following WW II because of uranium.

-At approximately 46.3 mile market - Hite Road / Flint Trail. Off highway vehicle access road to the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park. Stop at Park Service Station (mile marker 48.6) before traveling into the Maze for road conditions (some of the most rugged and forbidding country in southeastern Utah).

-At approximately 64 mile marker - Jacobs Chair.

Len and I explored some of these trails in this general area last year when we were traveling home from Blanding.

-Fry Canyon lodge/store/gas is closed now (mile marker 71). Once a busy hub for uranium mining. Many hike this canyon.

-South Hwy. 276 / MM 83.8, road to Hall's Crossing, brings you down to Bullfrog Bay on Lake Powel/ Ferry Crossing. Camping available.

-Further South is NATURAL BRIDGES NATL MONUMENT (off Hwy. 95). Mile marker 91.5.

Len and I enjoyed camping and exploring the Manti-La Sal Natl Forest about five years ago after viewing the Natural Bridges.

-MILE MARKER 93.2 -

Hwy. 261 (mile marker 93.2). Off of this highway you have GRAND GULCH PRIMITIVE AREA (there is a Ranger Station), MOKI DUGWAY, VALLEY OF THE GODS, and GOOSENECKS OF THE SAN JUAN STATE PARK.

-MILE MARKER 97.1 -

Salvation Knoll. Historic Marker - Christmas 1879, four scouts of Mormon Hole In The Rock Expedition were lost in a blizzard.

-MILE MARKER 101.7 -

Mule Canyon Ruin. RUIN of an Anasazi pueblo (AD 1000-1150) including a block of rooms, kiva and tower. INDIAN RUINS

-MILE MARKER 102.2 -

Texas Flat Road. Primitive camping and off-highway vehicle access to the north and south forks of Mule Canyon with many Anasazi cliff dwellings.

MILE MARKER 102.6 -

Cave Towers. Off-highway vehicle access road to ancient towers sitting precariously on the rim of Mule Canyon. INDIAN RUINS

-MILE MARKER 107 -

Comb Ridge & Comb Wash. Comb Ridge is an 80 mile long monocline from Elk Ridge in the north down to Kayenta, AZ, formed over 65 million years ago and is a major drainage for the area.

-MILE MARKER 107.4 -

Arch Canyon Road. Off-highway road going north along Comb Ridge to Elks Ridge.

-MILE MARKER 111.2 -

Butler Wash Ruin. Overlooks a small Anasazi cliff dwelling. INDIAN RUINS.

- MILE MARKER 112.3 -

Butler Wash Road. A 20 mile long off-highway vehicle road along the eastern titled side of the 80 mile long Comb Ridge monocline. Connects with Hwy. 163, just west of Bluff and the Junction with Hwy. 191.

-MILE MARKER 115.4 -

Off-highway vehicle access road to Manti-La Sal Natl Forest and the Blue or Abajo Mountains (Peak 11,360 feet).

-----------------------------------

Guest Lenny

And Moab is 4 miles closer for us.

Isn't Moab just as hot? Actually 96 degrees in dry heat isn't too bad. I have no problem with Moab if that is what is preferred by everyone.

Anyway, I'm posting the pictures I took at the Hanksville site. Kinarfi had already posted some of these but I didn't get the chance to correct them before he copied them off my camera. These pictures will show the color and detail better.

2957894450104928832yreRvS_th.jpg, 2735051640104928832WXjRRx_th.jpg, 2083888430104928832KXHhqa_th.jpg, 2814082900104928832mpTxwQ_th.jpg, 2269817180104928832mPeXhv_th.jpg, 2769967990104928832mRfIvT_th.jpg, 2069353720104928832iyzYQF_th.jpg, Lenny

Guest Lenny

I looked closer at the map of where we were and the trails go all the way up to around 10,000' elevation. There is a graded gravel road that goes to the mountain top with several interconnecting trails off of it. Jeff and I ran the lower trails. I broke down so Jeff and I did the riding in his Trooper. Jeff developed an oil loss problem and wasn't keen on more riding and it was decided to head home on Thursday. Besides stormy weather was coming in and we didn't want to get caught in it. Glad we got home when we did as the roads north of us were starting to get heavy snow fall but we made it through before any buildup. There were 4 Quadrants to explore. We did the three that were at about 5000' elevation. We missed doing the forth quadrant that goes to the higher elevations (cooler). Also the upper elevations were snowed in and blocked. This is where the BLM told me the Jeep only trails were. She said that others can't get through. Anyway the trails we did are for sure worth riding and are exceptionally good trails. These could be run in the mornings before it gets hot and then explore the upper elevations in the afternoons. As far as dust goes, we didn't have any and it seemed to be very dry. I don't know if it rained before we got there but it didn't appear that way. The other thought is that it was quite windy and if that area is naturally windy then the wind is blowing the area free of the fine powder dust stuff. I think it is worth a go.

Jeannie and I will for sure be going back there to re-ride the trails Jeff and I did and also finish exploring the higher elevation.

Lets get some more input.

Lenny

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Start with 2585417860104282158HELGVs_th.jpg, the first after the error on page 1 to the error on page 2 are from the poison spider area, after the error on page 2 2018314220104282158BngoKK_th.jpg is of the Temple Mountain area.

I'll get my recommendations posted tomorrow. Already been working on this for hours & hours.

Guest Lenny

Hey Kinarfi, you like that area north of Hanksville. Jeanne thought you would, that is why she mentioned it to you. Looks like it could be a good sujestion for the 2012 Jamboree. Jeanne and I both liked the area but we haven't taken the time to ride it yet. It's been on our list of places to go and ride for over a year now. Seems that everytime we went through the area, we were on our way somewhere else. If you look at the description Jeanne wrote up and posted earlier when describing the area south of Hanksville, you will see that she also included a lot of features of the area north of Hanksville. It's a pretty neat area. Glad you had a good time. You stayed out quite a while.

Lenny

Here's my report from several days around Hanksville, Utah.

Staring with the first photo after the error, 2585417860104282158HELGVs_th.jpg, to the one before the 2nd error, , is from the Poison Spider area, From the 2nd error, 2018314220104282158BngoKK_th.jpg ,

on is from the Temple Mountain area.

Some of my video wouldn't go on webshots, so I put them on Utube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/heystraw1

http://www.youtube.com/user/heystraw1#p/u/6/-_F7A6BSWso

http://www.youtube.com/user/heystraw1#p/u/5/2AkEr-yu19M

http://www.youtube.com/user/heystraw1#p/u/4/e9I4qow73wo

http://www.youtube.com/user/heystraw1#p/u/3/XMT3nRORDu4

http://www.youtube.com/user/heystraw1#p/u/2/tL43RRDje4U

http://www.youtube.com/user/heystraw1#p/u/1/IZkch2SFJWU

http://www.youtube.com/user/heystraw1#p/u/0/vZC4e4WaCKo

Any way, here's what I wrote up while down there, but couldn't post.

4-30-11

On the way Poison Spider, we stopped at Temple Mountain and took a short ride, good riding area, BLM, south of Goblin Valley State Park, 2 large camp grounds with toilets and lots of individual camp grounds without.

Next day, I was at Poison Spider and Linda & I went down to and crossed the Dirty Devil River, later that day, we went exploring places I hadn’t been yet and it was much like what I had seen before in that area, I started out on what ended up being a fire road headed to the top of the mountain and when I got the FAA airstrip, we were getting cold and turned it around and headed for the camper, the road crossed one of the places I had marked to explore, so we went to the camper via that trail, even though it was cold and windy. When we got to the camper, it continued to get colder and windier and it stayed that way all night. I had already come up with some suggestions for the jamboree.

I have several minor suggestions and one MAJOR suggestion.

#1 Minor; The already designated camp site, 2628430480104282158Gnghhr_th.jpg, needs to be moved down past Little Egypt, 1.8 miles and to the left,2829273940104282158TsVCKn_th.jpg, just a lot prettier & nicer camping area and not as open as the original spot.

#2 Minor; Go see Poison Spider Trail down to the Dirty Devil River, but don’t bother to cross it, it appears the road is maintained by or for cattlemen so they can drive their 2 ton dually trucks and pull 4 horse horsetrailers safely and easily and the road goes on and on and on and…..and there is NO place to get off and play. http://entertainment.webshots.com/video/3075315200104282158riafPo Notice how nice the road is.

#3MAJOR; forget about Poison Spider; let’s have the jamboree at Temple Mountain!!!!

If you’re coming past Poison Spider, stop and go down to the river, turn around, explore a few side canyons on your way in and/or out, then load up and head for Temple Mountain. Honest to goodness mine roads, great scenery, lots of trails, some harder than other, some sand / gravel washes, some fire roads, and better camp grounds and they are maintained by BLM and there is NO fee and have toilets.2542977490104282158cmYiCG_th.jpg or 2502927720104282158dkPgAn_th.jpg

As for ME, I’ve seen all I want of Poison Spider. There’s still lots to see at Temple Mountain.

If a change of location is to happen, you will have to chime in and cast your vote via individual post.

I will email everyone I have in my address book a bunch of GPX files to down load and look at on Google earth or what ever you like, If I miss you, PM me.

Kinarfi

Guest Lenny

Kinarfi mentioned the Temple Mountain area. We traveled, camped and biked this area between I-70 and Hwy. 24 several times. Mostly back in our Mountain Biking era which was prior to our Trooper in 2008. The area is nice. I've pasted a couple of web sites that are mtn. biking sites but they show pictures, give some info, trails, ect.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/temple.htm

http://www.utah.com/bike/trails/temple_mtn.htm

You will find abandoned mines all over this area... from this site near Hanksville to the west by I-15. We found numerous abandoned mines north and east of Marysvale too if you even find yourself riding in that area.

Jeanne (Lenny's Wife)

WOW! I sure appreciate you guys checking out these places and having video's for us to watch. The UTube vids were awesome! Looking on Google Earth for Temple mountain shows it's 30 miles north of Hanksville? I just want to make sure that the roads are motorhome friendly. The area looks absolutely breathtaking! If the Utube vids are Temple Mountain; I vote for that place! Incredible! B)

I haven't been able to make the GPS files work on Google Earth; but it's pretty clearly marked just doing a G E search.

Guest Lenny

WOW! I sure appreciate you guys checking out these places and having video's for us to watch. The UTube vids were awesome! Looking on Google Earth for Temple mountain shows it's 30 miles north of Hanksville? I just want to make sure that the roads are motorhome friendly. The area looks absolutely breathtaking! If the Utube vids are Temple Mountain; I vote for that place! Incredible! B)

I haven't been able to make the GPS files work on Google Earth; but it's pretty clearly marked just doing a G E search.

After you pass the Goblin State Park, the road is still motorhome friendly to get you to the camp sites Kinarfi is talking about. We have never stayed at these sites because we always like to be more remote but everytime we passed these sites, there were always campers there (big toy haulers, motorhomes, ect.) If yoy don't want to stay in the developed area with the toilets, there are other areas before and after where people pull off and camp too. We never had any problems hauling on the access roads with our truck, 5th wheel trailer and trooper trailer. The developed sites are flat with enough area.

To use the GPX files, you need to download the files, I recommend storing on the your desktop, then after they are all stored, open google earth and "restore down" so you can see both google earth and your desktop files, then click and drag the file over the map and release, it will ask a question, click ok and it will then put a blue line for the trail.

As for motor home friendly, the road is paved to Temple camp 1 and about half way to camp 2, but still good road, and there are lots of sites just any where you please almost.

Kinarfi

To use the GPX files, you need to download the files, I recommend storing on the your desktop, then after they are all stored, open google earth and "restore down" so you can see both google earth and your desktop files, then click and drag the file over the map and release, it will ask a question, click ok and it will then put a blue line for the trail.

As for motor home friendly, the road is paved to Temple camp 1 and about half way to camp 2, but still good road, and there are lots of sites just any where you please almost.

Kinarfi

Thanks Jeff; I got them to work. I was just wondering if you and Lenny had decided where we would all congregate for the Jamboree.

Thanks Jeff; I got them to work. I was just wondering if you and Lenny had decided where we would all congregate for the Jamboree.

Being as no one is really the "Boss" of this shin dig, The current spot is just off of high way 24, 20 miles south of Hanksville, Utah, as voted on earlier, however, after looking that area over, my preference would be to move it down the dirt road about 1.8 miles or;

Up the road about 40 miles to the Temple Mountain area, It's up to the group that plan on going to say, so I guess we're all waiting for input from everyone that plans on going to add their comments. Also We can find out who's coming and who's not, So please, let's hear from every one either way.

Kinarfi

Guest Lenny

Being as no one is really the "Boss" of this shin dig, The current spot is just off of high way 24, 20 miles south of Hanksville, Utah, as voted on earlier, however, after looking that area over, my preference would be to move it down the dirt road about 1.8 miles or;

Up the road about 40 miles to the Temple Mountain area, It's up to the group that plan on going to say, so I guess we're all waiting for input from everyone that plans on going to add their comments. Also We can find out who's coming and who's not, So please, let's hear from every one either way.

Kinarfi

It doesn't really matter to me which area we do. Jeanne hasn't seen the site we checked out nore have I seen all of it. Both sites have a lot to offer and the one that isn't done this year can be done another time. They are both worth going to. Kinarfi, when you say 1.8 mi. down the road, are you meaning to continue in on the gravel road next to the site we last stayed at. Does that mean that we have to drive the 1.8 mi each way when we want to ride. The site we camped at seemed to be centrally located good and had pretty neat play trails right next to the camping site. I'm fully self contained so I can camp anywhere.

Lenny

If both places have that kind of scenery; and are accessable by motorhome; I'm on the same page. I only saw the videos' Jeff posted on YouTube, and i assume they were of the Temple Mountain; Goblin Valley area. It looked awesome to me! Dry camp; or developed campground; makes no difference to me. (That is if things turn out the way I plan)

I'm confused (it doesn't take much to do that either).

Are we talking 2011 jamboree date? I thought that was already set and it is June 24-26, 2011.

I believe I remember some people had already taken time off from work for this slot already.

The site doesn't matter much because they are all around Hanksville (either north or south of it).

But the DATE might affect some people.

Lenny,

That post of kinarfis was back in August last year.All but exact site has been decided.Dates June 24-26 2011.(I hope)

Guest Lenny

Lenny,

That post of kinarfis was back in August last year.All but exact site has been decided.Dates June 24-26 2011.(I hope)

Yep, I see the posting dates now... Sorry & Thanks!

DATES: June 24-26 2001

Also, what is the itenerary? It would be nice if we had a set itenerary this year with tentative riding times so everyone knows what the schedule is going to be.

We have 3 days posted....Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Will everyone be arriving the evening of the 23rd? Thus, RIDING 2 days on the 24th & 25th? or RIDING 3 days on 24th, 25th, 26th?

Or arriving on the 24th? Thus, RIDING the 25th & 26th? If arriving on the 24th, will there be a set afternoon or evening riding time for that day? Ect. Ect. Ect. .....

I don't want to complicate things but if three days, we could possibly change riding locations for the last day and take in both areas North & South of Hanksville for everyone. Maybe do a moring ride the last day (Sunday) in case some need to get on the road home?

Jeanne is taking time off and we are spending the fuel to go/from the Jamboree, so I'll be doing a lot of trail riding in this area north and south of Hanksville plus other areas on our way to and from the 2011 Jamboree. Get a lot of riding for our fuel bucks spent this year!

Any thoughts? Any comments from the group?

Lenny

Guest Lenny

We will be there on the 23rd for sure. Probably head home on Monday the 27th.

Cell phone okay on I-70 and in Hanksville. Spotty on Hwy. 24 & Hwy. 95. The site south of Hanksville wasn't the best but when we were in Hanksville it was okay. You can bring phone out with you when you ride and check your calls when out of valleys and up high...probably get reception there okay. Perhaps your cell service may be different and better than ours! Kinarfi can tell you if he had reception over North of Hanksville because I never checked it when we came through there the last time.

Kinarfi ??? Jeff, Did you have cel reception over at the Temple area?

Also, Jeff, can we do a tentative Jamboree itenerary for everyone?

Lenny

Guest Lenny

We are Verizon too. Service comes and goes......You will have to move around to find the signal. Definitely a signal in Hanksville.

We will be there on the 23rd for sure. Probably head home on Monday the 27th.

Cell phone okay on I-70 and in Hanksville. Spotty on Hwy. 24 & Hwy. 95. The site south of Hanksville wasn't the best but when we were in Hanksville it was okay. You can bring phone out with you when you ride and check your calls when out of valleys and up high...probably get reception there okay. Perhaps your cell service may be different and better than ours! Kinarfi can tell you if he had reception over North of Hanksville because I never checked it when we came through there the last time.

Kinarfi ??? Jeff, Did you have cel reception over at the Temple area?

Also, Jeff, can we do a tentative Jamboree itenerary for everyone?

Lenny

I sure don't like it when I type up a post and forget to submit it, must be aaads(age activated attention deficit syndrome),

I didn't even think to check my phone, I kind of forgot how much some people depend on their phones and communications. Sorry!

Yes, I will doctor up some of my saved trails and post, maybe get it done and up later today.

I too will most likely be there on the 23rd, that way I can get the parking spot that has all the grass and the running water with a pool :lol: ha, it's a desert.

Kinarfi

Don't think I would really call this an itinerary, but here's some pictures of what I have in mind for some rides.

2171758740104282158rUdXab_th.jpgthis is a must>>>>2867493810104282158lTFcxs_th.jpg<<<this is a must 2206239070104282158PmfSQR_th.jpg 2718993760104282158twFREB_th.jpg 2251208360104282158AkClzz_th.jpg

I'm not sure which one to go on first, the trail to Dirty Devil should be done on the 2nd day, IMHO, just to make sure late comers get to see it.

I think I'll explore on my first day, and go up to the mountain.

Kinarfi

Like I keep saying, it's up to us all.

Still haven't got a good list of who's coming. Come on, speak up with a yes or a no, or a maybe or probably.