Quantcast

Long travel for troopers

CrawlnT2

I want to custom fab or buy a long travel kit for my trooper. Has it been done? Could just any driveline shop make axles long enough? What else would I need besides longer axles and brake lines? I attached some pics of a rzr long travel kit to show what im talking about.

Lenny claims he is getting 14.5 inches of travel per wheel with stock arms & axles. How much are you trying to get? I have been studying many of Lenny's posts on his suspension set up. I believe, don't quote me here, he achieved this by lowering his differential and going to longer shocks. He also repositioned his shocks. Here is some good stuff from Lenny & Rocmoc, but there is more out there:

http://www.utvboard.com/topic/1967-shock-idea/page__st__20

Lenny claims he is getting 14.5 inches of travel per wheel with stock arms & axles. How much are you trying to get? I have been studying many of Lenny's posts on his suspension set up. I believe, don't quote me here, he achieved this by lowering his differential and going to longer shocks. He also repositioned his shocks. Here is some good stuff from Lenny & Rocmoc, but there is more out there:

http://www.utvboard.com/topic/1967-shock-idea/page__st__20

You are right aout how I did it but I'm not running stock tires but 31 x 12.5 - 15. Yes I do have 14.5" of travel and so does Flatbed. We haven't heard from flatbed for a while as he is quite busy being a crew leader for a Lucas off road truck.

Lenny

Main upgrade would be the CV Joints. Need something like they use on the ATV Mud lift kits. The stock suspension will take more travel but the CV Joints will not, They are the current limiting factor. Also the upgraded CV Joint would allow a tighter turning radius.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Main upgrade would be the CV Joints. Need something like they use on the ATV Mud lift kits. The stock suspension will take more travel but the CV Joints will not, They are the current limiting factor. Also the upgraded CV Joint would allow a tighter turning radius.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Thanks for the info. A tighter turning radius would be nice. I believe Gorilla axle is who makes most of those axles for atv/utv with long travel and lift kits. Im going to call them today.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I'm getting the 14-1/2" of travel front and rear with the stock CVs. However I am right at the point of them binding. If I even went another 1/4-3/8" either direction, they would bind. I have not had any problems with the CVs and I have now been running the longer travel for probably a year now and I push the full travel of my suspension all the time. Rocmoc is right,they are a concern. You would want to be very careful if you set up like Flatbed or I am. It does require front frame and rear swingarm mods along with dropping the rear diff.

Lenny

I'm getting the 14-1/2" of travel front and rear with the stock CVs. However I am right at the point of them binding. If I even went another 1/4-3/8" either direction, they would bind. I have not had any problems with the CVs and I have now been running the longer travel for probably a year now and I push the full travel of my suspension all the time. Rocmoc is right,they are a concern. You would want to be very careful if you set up like Flatbed or I am. It does require front frame and rear swingarm mods along with dropping the rear diff.

Lenny

I talked to gorilla he said that he could make axles for us that can with stand a 40 degree angle. Their axles are made of 4340 chromoly. The only problem is cost, coming in at 550 an axle. That is 100 dollars above the axles for the other utvs. :angry:

Lenny do you have a list of everything you did to reach 14 1/2 of travel? I want to show my dealer.

I talked to gorilla he said that he could make axles for us that can with stand a 40 degree angle. Their axles are made of 4340 chromoly. The only problem is cost, coming in at 550 an axle. That is 100 dollars above the axles for the other utvs. :angry:

Lenny do you have a list of everything you did to reach 14 1/2 of travel? I want to show my dealer.

Once you have the axles for tighter turning, then you have to get another steering box too. If you break an axle it might be worth the upgrade even at $550. The prices I have seen for stock Trooper axles outrageous.

I'll have to work something up when I get a chance.

Lenny

Once you have the axles for tighter turning, then you have to get another steering box too. If you break an axle it might be worth the upgrade even at $550. The prices I have seen for stock Trooper axles outrageous.

Don't know if I agree with that, to get a tighter turning radius, all you need to do is move the stop nuts on the rack outwards, mine are set so that the binding in the CV just barely stops, I could get tighter turns if the CV could take it.

Kinarfi

2132996300104282158GoemnQ_th.jpg

Took me a while to find this, but if you turn those rectangular nut out wards, you will get a tighter turn, when I got mine, it did turn better to the right than the left and it bothered me so bad that I had to learn the set up. Don't remember how much more you can get, but I do know it's more than the CV can handle.

Kinarfi again.

I don't see 145 too outrageous for a trooper axle. They are big and beefy. I have never seen one break that was not caused by ripped boots lots of dirt and the bad things that happen when you mix that with bearings. Although I have seen some that have pulled the joint apart over extending them.

Ge was saying that one axle is 550, but he also said stock trooper axles were outrageously priced. For one gorilla axle I can buy 3 trooper axles and have a bejamin Franklin left burning a hole in my pocket.

With the limited availability of Joyner parts I have seen used axles on Ebay for over $200. Finally, dealers are now getting some shipments in. So, I guess the going rate for a T2 axle is $145 and they supply is bountiful.

I don't see 145 too outrageous for a trooper axle. They are big and beefy. I have never seen one break that was not caused by ripped boots lots of dirt and the bad things that happen when you mix that with bearings. Although I have seen some that have pulled the joint apart over extending them.

I have never broke an axle. What I am saying is if I had broken one I would absolutely consider an axle that would most likely never break & could handled a tighter turning radius--even @ $550 a pop. You would get all new 4340 CV's and neoprene boots (even though Joyner CV boots never go bad--lol). Another added benifit would be it could handle more suspension travel. I have already decided that when I spot a room for improvement on my trooper I am gonna make it. Currently, I see no need to improve the stock axles at this time.