Quantcast

New shocks

Jarrad

I got some new shocks for the trooper, Monday I will be installing them on one of my new units and testing them out. These are supposed to be the the best thing going for the trooper. Looks like retail will be about $800 for a set of 4. I have these at my shop now. Stay tuned for results of my testing.

I got some new shocks for the trooper, Monday I will be installing them on one of my new units and testing them out. These are supposed to be the the best thing going for the trooper. Looks like retail will be about $800 for a set of 4. I have these at my shop now. Stay tuned for results of my testing.

How about some pic Please

• 2 weeks later...

Have anyone try these shocks yet

• 3 weeks later...

Almost anything was an improvement over my stock rear shocks.

Seems like I read somewhere that these are nitrogen charged "like" the originals, and are not adjustable other than the coilover preload setting. I know the "other" brands are really spendy; but for me; I'm just gonna wait until I can afford the King shocks at $2300. Thats the single biggest upgrade i want to do to my Trooper.

For simplicity; could you just tell me what to buy? :D

But actually; I'm looking at several shock manufacturers, and i just don't have the knowhow to even use their shock compression/dampening/rebound/preload calculators. How would I get the weight of each corner? (I've broken 3 bathroom scales already and my wife is pissed) :blink:

How do I come up with an idea of the right valving for compression and rebound? Well; I leave it up to you guys who are saavy with this technology; but by the time I get through 5 or 6 posts; I'm at a loss because I'm just a hobbiest off roader.

And Rocmoc and Lenny have modified suspensions. So is there a list of pertinent information for stock suspension Trooper 2s; and do shock manufacturers have the "Hot setup" for the Trooper dialed in so when you inquire; you don't really have to admit you are a dummy? :unsure:

I've contacted FOA and am having quite a cunundrum trying to get an idea of what I want/need. And I do feel like a dummy

I want "cushey"....... I want "travel". I think I read somewhere on one of the posts that their Trooper rode like a Trophy Truck. Yeah yeah! I want that! B)

But I don't want what the Trooper already has....a non adjustable nitrogen charge and a MUCH too stiff spring. I don't understand why Joyner would put a non working shock system on their vehicles. Mine rides like a hardtail Harley (even with lowering the preload adjustment). The rear Bighorn tires helped SOME; but not much

x2

But actually; I'm looking at several shock manufacturers, and i just don't have the knowhow to even use their shock compression/dampening/rebound/preload calculators. How would I get the weight of each corner? (I've broken 3 bathroom scales already and my wife is pissed) :blink:

How do I come up with an idea of the right valving for compression and rebound? Well; I leave it up to you guys who are saavy with this technology; but by the time I get through 5 or 6 posts; I'm at a loss because I'm just a hobbiest off roader.

And Rocmoc and Lenny have modified suspensions. So is there a list of pertinent information for stock suspension Trooper 2s; and do shock manufacturers have the "Hot setup" for the Trooper dialed in so when you inquire; you don't really have to admit you are a dummy? :unsure:

I've contacted FOA and am having quite a cunundrum trying to get an idea of what I want/need. And I do feel like a dummy

I want "cushey"....... I want "travel". I think I read somewhere on one of the posts that their Trooper rode like a Trophy Truck. Yeah yeah! I want that! B)

But I don't want what the Trooper already has....a non adjustable nitrogen charge and a MUCH too stiff spring. I don't understand why Joyner would put a non working shock system on their vehicles. Mine rides like a hardtail Harley (even with lowering the preload adjustment). The rear Bighorn tires helped SOME; but not much

X3,sounds like a good time to start a club.I could be president because of all the experience i have at being a dummy. :D

You guys should have been at meeting!! "Quig" won dummy of forum hands down, it was unanimous,,no one is even close!!! True!!!! : )

PS, he was voted nicest dummy? Well? maybe not? lol

The only off-the-shelf option right now is the Kings at $2600--unless you want to buy the new T2 shocks, which I wouldn't waste my money on. They don't look any different from we already have, just new and shiny. So, you can go high-end or low-end if you don't want to make any modifications to your stock suspension. If you are willing to modify then, as you have discovered, there are lots of different routes. If you want a trophy truck ride then you will have to make some modifications. The rear of the trooper is actually relatively easy to modify. The front is not. However, I think you'd be happy with just an upgraded shock from stock tuned to your liking.

If you don't want to get too extreme into fabrication, I would start off by removing the stock shocks and seeing if there is any extra suspension travel that is there to be had before your CV's or suspension components bind. Take your measurement in the middle of the shock mount eyes in both full droop and full compressed. Then, try and find a quality shock that will fit. However, I cannot confirm or deny if there is much more travel to be had over the stock configuration...someone else on this forum has probably already taken this measurement. However, each of our vehicles is slightly different, so I would take your own measurements. And, your acceptable limits might be very different than someone else's. If there is a shock that is close, you can always use limiting straps to ensure you don't over-extend your suspension and bump stops can be used to limit compression.

I have lowered my front diff to achieve 12.25" of travel. In full extension I am limited to 12.25" and after that my CV joints binding. I have factored in about 1/4"-3/8" of wiggle room. In full compression I am limited to my steering tie rods binding. If you can get an honest 10" without lowering your diff, you should be more than happy.

Now, for the fun part--springs. I called King and they said they run 200lb on the front & 300lb on the rear. Personally that seems too low. But, if you crank the preload down, they may work. Call Steve at Makintrax suspension. He is willing to let you use used springs until you find the rate you are happy with if you purchase the springs from him. You know what, for that matter once you take your compressed & extended measurements, just call him. He can also outfit you with affordable, quality shocks. I think he may even offer an external adjustable rebound/compression shock now. Then, once you have come up with something you are happy with POST IT! You will save others from pulling their hair out as you will soon be doing ;)

I contacted FOA through their EBay ad. The guy got back to me and said "Oh you need to talk to my Joyner guy. Here's his info" (literally) "JD @ _________ " No email address, no number, no nothin Wow; thanks a million. I Googled JD@ for an hour and got no strikes ! Duurrrrrr. :blink:

I see guys here and on other websites selling their Troopers with "King Shocks; Fox Shocks; Rancho Shocks; and Bilstein Shocks; not to mention Walker Evans Shocks and Afco Shocks and others" but nobody is willing to say "This is what I used; this is the travel, the valving, the compression, the rebound; the spring, and they work great. Just call so and so at Shock City and he sells lots of these for Troopers, so he knows the hot setup. I emailed the guys at Silverbullet about their "Bilstein" piggyback shock setup last week. I haven't heard a word back on it.

Theres now 4 of us in the "Shocked Dummy Club" and i'll bet there will be many more soon. I really appreciate all the modifications done as far as lowering diffs, or going to 15 inch car tires, or long travel A-Arms and axles;..... but many guys just upgrade. Why is it so secretive? Believe me; I won't be passing you in the Baja 1000. I just want to crawl and cruise B)

I have the FOA shocks on mine and I love them, so does my wife. Some of the things I like are that they don't need nitrogen, they don't even need to be pressurized, easy to rebuild, I have rebuilt both of mine, not because they needed it but because I broke a fitting and lost most of the oil in one of them and figured that since I'm doing one, do both, the reservoir can be mounted in any position. The only difficulty I had was getting the limit strap right, but I think I have that covered now. EDIT they easy to adjust also, just make of metal that will fit in the notch on the adjust and spray it with wd40 and adjust away, Limit straps are very important, if you get too much travel, your CVs come apart, or at least mine do, that's why I'm laying on the ground with my hands all greasy in some of the photos.

Here's the first of my photos on webshots. 2255726910104282158SgyrNp_th.jpg

Jeff

I have the FOA shocks on mine and I love them, so does my wife. Some of the things I like are that they don't need nitrogen, they don't even need to be pressurized, easy to rebuild, I have rebuilt both of mine, not because they needed it but because I broke a fitting and lost most of the oil in one of them and figured that since I'm doing one, do both, the reservoir can be mounted in any position. The only difficulty I had was getting the limit strap right, but I think I have that covered now. EDIT they easy to adjust also, just make of metal that will fit in the notch on the adjust and spray it with wd40 and adjust away, Limit straps are very important, if you get too much travel, your CVs come apart, or at least mine do, that's why I'm laying on the ground with my hands all greasy in some of the photos.

Here's the first of my photos on webshots. 2255726910104282158SgyrNp_th.jpg

Jeff

Whoops; I didn't see that your Webshots pics were a series. Awesome! Your info makes our club obsolete. Thanks! B)

dont think we should dis band it yet,plenty more areas to cover.

This is the first time I've read a technical post concerning shocks that didn't fly over my head! And they are way cheaper than others too. (But I don't get why the bolts are so dang long!) Seems like you could just buy shorter grade 8 bolts?