Quantcast

Supercharger testing coming good

Guest Lenny

Guest Lenny

I'll be going out shortly to take some video of torque demonstrations for everyone to see. Don't have the higher RPMs tunned it all the way yet but am real close on the below 2000 RPM range. It's nice, for the first time I can really just crawl slow motion through about anything. I'm talking lugging down to 600-700 Rpms and will finally quit when it reaches about 450 RPMs but if it can hold the 600 RPMs, it will pull it back out. I do think that I may need to have someone with a dyno tune the upper end. I can monitor the lugging by seeing how high up a, say 35 degree it will crawl and set pulse width and timing until it goes the highest but for higher RPMs I would need a nice consistent uphill slopes long enough to run at the higher RPMs in the higher gears. I can't get it to bogg down in first and second in the higher RPMs no matter what the slope. I think third will be the same but don['t have the right slope for it either. This is all with 31" tires but I am using the Renegade gearing which changes my pinion gears from 15 teeth down to 14 teeth. That would make me equivalent to stock gearing with about 29" tires. Looking forward to doing the video.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

Well here it is. This is my first attempt at putting a video on the forum so I hope it goes well. Most of the runs are in first gear except one. You wlll be able to tell because I hold up 2 fingers for the second gear run. Pay close attention for the exhaust sound so you can hear how low the RPMs are. For some reason the camera wants to exagerate the high pitched sounds while understating the exhaust but if you pay attention, you can hear it OK. I run at about 1000 RPMs as a goal on most runs but keeping it right on is hard. The second gear run is at about 1600-1700 RPMs and the run up the smaller hill is at 600-700 RPMs.

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3037804020104928832UwSDBq

Lenny

Well here it is. This is my first attempt at putting a video on the forum so I hope it goes well. Most of the runs are in first gear except one. You wlll be able to tell because I hold up 2 fingers for the second gear run. Pay close attention for the exhaust sound so you can hear how low the RPMs are. For some reason the camera wants to exagerate the high pitched sounds while understating the exhaust but if you pay attention, you can hear it OK. I run at about 1000 RPMs as a goal on most runs but keeping it right on is hard. The second gear run is at about 1600-1700 RPMs and the run up the smaller hill is at 600-700 RPMs.

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3037804020104928832UwSDBq

Lenny

Very impressive! Good work Lenny.

Guest Lenny

Thanks Guys. I'm suprised just how much torque this little engine will produce given enough air and some tuning.. If you remember, I have my compression a bit on the low side because when I added the aftercooler it changed things and my initial compression adjustment is now a little too much taken out. Could get a bit back by changing the pistons. That would then give me a bit more torque. Still working on the higher RPMs tuning but getting close. Still cuts out a bit when I get into it. Runs lean a bit and pops some. Need to increase the acceleration enrichment and get the VE tables better. Still also learning the tuning program. I definetely get the feeling that it wants to scat. That feeling you would get on a stock Trooper when it hit about 4500 RPMs and for a bit it wanted to really go. With the supercharger this feels about the same but it starts at about 1800 RPMs and scats all the way up so is a lot quicker. Before my riding was always 3000 RPMs and up hitting the rev limiter regularly when I was hot rodding or working in hilly terrain. On a steep climb, you realy didn't want to fall off the power band or you lost it, kinda like a 2 cycle motorcycle. Now I run generally from about 1500 to 3000 RPMs and easily chug the hills and it hot rods pretty well in the lower ranges. Haven't hit the rev limiter in a long time. You can see in the video that I'm going on and off the gas as I'm climbing and each time I get back in the gas, it just starts pulling hard again that is unless it's down to 600-700 RPMs. The jamboree will give everyone a chance to see how it does. Kinarfi and I with the wives will be going to check the site south of Hanksville, Utah yet this month. Hopefully Kinarfi will be up and running shortly.

Lenny

• 3 months later...
Guest Lenny

Lenny,

Any tid bits you'd like to share with us on the supercharger? Did you dyno it yet? How'd it run for you at the Jamboree?

Thanks,

Paul

Did do the dyno work but had a fuel regulator or pump problem so couldn't complete the job. It ran acceptable at the Jamboree but still not tuned right as it stumbled and missed a bit from the problem with the fuel supply. Rocmoc drove it and I'll let him post his own feelings about what he found. When properly tuned it should produce about 20 percent more torque then it does currently which is more then stock by a good bit. The power will come in lower also. The torque cams gave me more torque also starting at about 1200-1500 RPMs, maybe lower. Won't know till it's tuned the rest of the way. It looks like the Torque curve will be flat across the RPM range when done. In other words, the torque will be as high at 1000 to 1200 RPMS as it is all the way up to 5500 RPMs which is where I have my rev limiter set to start cutting back.

Lenny

I drove Len's Trooper. I will say the SuperCharger is Killer, it makes his Trooper scream. I am not sold on the cams! It was nice driving a Trooper that does not have a rattle and rides like a caddy. Differently helped me prioritize my next upgrades, Steering Rack upgrade, softer springs & doors.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I drove Len's Trooper. I will say the SuperCharger is Killer, it makes his Trooper scream. I am not sold on the cams! It was nice driving a Trooper that does not have a rattle and rides like a caddy. Differently helped me prioritize my next upgrades, Steering Rack upgrade, softer springs & doors.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc What up with the cams

Guest Lenny

rocmoc What up with the cams

It's hard to tell the differance when the two are running together. In my testing at home, I did notice the cams did provide a nice bit of torque. However, due to having a fuel supply problem, we were not able to complete the dyno tuning. It is not running at its best yey but my dyno guy felt that there was another 20 percent more torque to be found starting at the low end and tapering off at the high end, 5500 rpms. When this is done, the torque curve will not be a curve really but almost a straight line going across the graph and maintaining the same heigth all the way across. In other words it should put out as much torque at say 1200 rpms as at 2000 rpms and 3000 rpms and on up. As far as the cams go, there is an area that I use for testing my torque. It's a loop that is probably about 150 - 200 feet long and maybe 125 feet wide. Sort of a square cornered rectangle with one sweeping corner. This loop has a flat low side with a flat square turn (#1) coming into it. Out of this lowside. there is a square turn (#2) that is the start of a slight but straight increasing slope. This slope then takes a sharp uphill square turn (#3) where the trail then continues up to a high point on the third side where it then begins sloping downwords through the sweeping turn (#4) where it then takes the square turn (#1) again going into the low side again. I run this loop in each of the gears. I don't shift at all once in a particular gear put go around and around in the same gear if I can. Of coarse low and 2nd gear are easy. Third gear is where it starts to show the torque by being able to spin the rear wheels in lochout in the turns while accelerating fairly good. When stock, because of the square corners, third gear would not pull the corners so good and boog but manage to get through them. The 3rd turn is always the toughest because it's uphill and very square with deep ruts for the tires. Stock third gear would struggle the most here. Stock 4th gear wouldn't do it. The square turns greatly hinder any momentium getting built up to help with the uphill grades. With the super charger, I could get through the loop in 4th gear and when trying it in 5th gear it would stall about 2/3rds before getting to the high part on the 3rd side. With the cam, I can now get through the 3rd turn and up over the high point while slightly accelerating all the way. Keep in mind that I am at about 1100 rpms in 5th when doing this. the turns have to be lugged at low speed where the Trooper still pulls pretty good. From the low side to the high side of the loop there is about 8 - 10 feet of elevation chnge. Maybe this will give you some idea of what i'm finding so far. Looking forward to getting it running at its best to do the test again.

LEnny

Did do the dyno work but had a fuel regulator or pump problem so couldn't complete the job. It ran acceptable at the Jamboree but still not tuned right as it stumbled and missed a bit from the problem with the fuel supply. Rocmoc drove it and I'll let him post his own feelings about what he found. When properly tuned it should produce about 20 percent more torque then it does currently which is more then stock by a good bit. The power will come in lower also. The torque cams gave me more torque also starting at about 1200-1500 RPMs, maybe lower. Won't know till it's tuned the rest of the way. It looks like the Torque curve will be flat across the RPM range when done. In other words, the torque will be as high at 1000 to 1200 RPMS as it is all the way up to 5500 RPMs which is where I have my rev limiter set to start cutting back.

Lenny

With the understanding that your supercharger still has some fueling issues, did you walk away with any hp or torque numbers from the dyno?

Guest Lenny

With the understanding that your supercharger still has some fueling issues, did you walk away with any hp or torque numbers from the dyno?

I did but I'm going to wait until I get the final numbers. This should be soon. Should have the fuel issues fixed soon because should get the parts in a few days then on to the Dyno again. Very happy with the power so far.

Lenny

I did but I'm going to wait until I get the final numbers. This should be soon. Should have the fuel issues fixed soon because should get the parts in a few days then on to the Dyno again. Very happy with the power so far.

Lenny

Well I wish you hurry up with that supercharger kit , I want one too LOL

Guest Lenny

lenny what gear are you doing dyno in? i did mine in 4th. dedub

I think my guy was in 4th too. What did your graphs look like. I suspect you are seeing the same suprising numbers I am seeing. PM me your charts and I'll PM you mine. Does your chart show torque and HP at the rear wheels or the engine? What engine mods are you running, SilverBullets add on computer, torque cams, turbo and if so what boost, etc?

Lenny.

IMHO after driving Lenny's Trooper two times in the last few weeks, It is about twice as fast in acceleration when compared to a stock Trooper. The power was pretty smooth over the entire RMP range. Not a blast of power and then nothing like nitro and the lag was not quite as bad as a turbo. I will say I am not fond of the whining sound of the supercharger, the only neg that I found.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico