Quantcast

Can we come to a conclusion on shocks?

Guest Lenny

Lenny which Fox works best in th e stock mounts? Robert.

I can't tell you which shocks will work with the stock mounts. I never went that way. There are suppliers out there that have shocks that will work like Silverbullet and others. Some of them have posted here on this thread. Any shock that will fit between the two mount points will work provided it has enough stroke to handle the swing. The shock wants to be set up to bottom at the max compression of the suspension without causing the cv joints to bind. The max extension can be limited with limit straps, again to stop the travel before the cv joints bind. You can tell where the cv joints bind by removing the wheel and with the the Trooper in neutral, turn the wheel spindle as you raise or lower the swingarm or the A-frames. You will feel the cv start to hit inside as you rotate it when it gets to it's limits. You want to stop the suspension swing short of this point, probably at least 3/8". I run mine to within 1/4" for the max travel but I'm real careful with my stops to make sure I don't go any farther. It is possible to pull an axel cv apart it gets stretched too much but this isn't a normal problem and it can be slid back together. Joyner, I think, at one time made a slightly shorter axel which had this problem but it was corrected with a slightly longet axel in later vehicles. I've never had the problem, knock on wood.

Lenny

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The max extension can be limited with limit straps, again to stop the travel before the cv joints bind.

This is where I have a concern. Wouldn't the nylon strap eventually stretch; thus continually needing adjustment? (Again, I'm nit familiar with race buggies and the "norm" so pardon my ignorance)

Guest Lenny

This is where I have a concern. Wouldn't the nylon strap eventually stretch; thus continually needing adjustment? (Again, I'm nit familiar with race buggies and the "norm" so pardon my ignorance)

I use a piece of 2" wide strapping like what a trucker would use. It's so strong that stretch isn't a problem. I never have to adjust mine.

Lenny

Excellent, sounds like you have the customer service. Now we need a GREAT price.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Pricing can be found on my website. www.makintraxsuspension.com The three setups I will offer for the Joyner will be the AFCO MT-1, AFCO MT-3 and AFCO Silver Series. Look in the Polaris RZR catagory. The lengths will be designed around available travel for maximum droop and maximum compression or bump without tearing the fenders off. More up travel is available but will require fender trimming or wheel offsets.

Makin Trax Suspension

www.makintraxsuspension.com

951-782-1479

Below is a link to one of many places to purchase adjustable limit straps. You are correct, limit straps do stretch over time. This way you can adjust the stop location very easily. These are used on most Offroad Racecars.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PC&Product_Code=RA18901&Category_Code=

Pricing can be found on my website. www.makintraxsuspension.com The three setups I will offer for the Joyner will be the AFCO MT-1, AFCO MT-3 and AFCO Silver Series. Look in the Polaris RZR catagory. The lengths will be designed around available travel for maximum droop and maximum compression or bump without tearing the fenders off. More up travel is available but will require fender trimming or wheel offsets.

Makin Trax Suspension

www.makintraxsuspension.com

951-782-1479

Took a look. Price is better than Kings! For the guy that can't do the work / sizing, looks like a fair price.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Below is a link to one of many places to purchase adjustable limit straps. You are correct, limit straps do stretch over time. This way you can adjust the stop location very easily. These are used on most Offroad Racecars.

http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PC&Product_Code=RA18901&Category_Code=

Thanks MTS ;)

Great then I will be getting them, Thanks Rick.

HOWEVER...........The conversation between Flatbed and Lenny revealed that an 8.5 stroke shock is 2.5 inches too long for the front mounts. I wanna purchase some too; but I'm afraid that they won't fit. I sent a PM to Quig and asked for the specs on the shocks he tested. I also sent an inquiry to MakinTrax suspensions. Haven't heard back yet.

Getting info through e-mail is like pulling teeth. But I want it on paper.

So if I'm understanding right. The AFCO shocks are 2.0 and 8.5 inch stroke, and dual rate springs for around $1500 ?

No, they are a 2.0 with 7" of stroke unless someone wants to shave their fenders then 8" stroke starting at $1400.00

HOWEVER...........The conversation between Flatbed and Lenny revealed that an 8.5 stroke shock is 2.5 inches too long for the front mounts. I wanna purchase some too; but I'm afraid that they won't fit. I sent a PM to Quig and asked for the specs on the shocks he tested. I also sent an inquiry to MakinTrax suspensions. Haven't heard back yet.

Getting info through e-mail is like pulling teeth. But I want it on paper.

Your right 8.5 is too much stroke. You see with my relationship with AFCO, I have the ability to use different body lengths and shafts to adjust for extended length and maximum stroke requirements. This way the shock will allow for maximum available travel, yet yet remain a oem direct bolt application. Get info the old fashion way, give me a call. 951-782-1479. I look forward to hearing from you.

This has been my experience with Steve,, Silverbullet told me about AFCO shocks, We contacted Steve, after some phone calls, & mistakes on my end, Steve got all my mistakes fixed. I still am working on adjusting to fine tune, but they are great!! Steve is a man of his word, you can trust him completely! Quig

Get to correct "Steve" his number is 951-782-1479 ,,,,,,, lol Your welcome Steve,,: )

This has been my experience with Steve,, Silverbullet told me about AFCO shocks, We contacted Steve, after some phone calls, & mistakes on my end, Steve got all my mistakes fixed. I still am working on adjusting to fine tune, but they are great!! Steve is a man of his word, you can trust him completely! Quig

Get to correct "Steve" his number is 951-782-1479 ,,,,,,, lol Your welcome Steve,,: )

Can't even type my own number.LOL....Thanks Quig!

This would never have gotton so involved and drawn out if I could HEAR well enough to have a full phone conversation. I have 40% hearing loss and my end of the conversation would sound something like " Huh? What was that? Did you say stroke; or that I'm a joke? Huh? what?.....etc." I do ALL of my ordering of aftermarket parts on the internet; because that way I don't misunderstand what is being said and I have information in writing. I've never REALLY felt handicapped until trying to get to the bottom line of this process. I can hear partially; but it helps to be face to face so i can kinda read lips. I've just gotton used to it, and i do avoid using my cell phone (as it is worse than a hard line) Like I said; I don't consider myself handicapped; and I hate the feeling of a hearing aid (which really didn't help much anyway.) In a casual conversation I can nod and agree, and go

"yeah.....uhhh huh.....OK' and I don't have a clue until someone says "Did you hear me?"; but it's easier than having people constantly repeat themselves until I get an idea of what they are saying. One good thing to come out of it is I am starting to understand shock technology a bit. So there's THAT. :P

This would never have gotton so involved and drawn out if I could HEAR well enough to have a full phone conversation. I have 40% hearing loss and my end of the conversation would sound something like " Huh? What was that? Did you say stroke; or that I'm a joke? Huh? what?.....etc." I do ALL of my ordering of aftermarket parts on the internet; because that way I don't misunderstand what is being said and I have information in writing. I've never REALLY felt handicapped until trying to get to the bottom line of this process. I can hear partially; but it helps to be face to face so i can kinda read lips. I've just gotton used to it, and i do avoid using my cell phone (as it is worse than a hard line) Like I said; I don't consider myself handicapped; and I hate the feeling of a hearing aid (which really didn't help much anyway.) In a casual conversation I can nod and agree, and go

"yeah.....uhhh huh.....OK' and I don't have a clue until someone says "Did you hear me?"; but it's easier than having people constantly repeat themselves until I get an idea of what they are saying. One good thing to come out of it is I am starting to understand shock technology a bit. So there's THAT. :P

I guess we all have some disability, mine is I don't know squat about this stuff so meeting you guys is a huge help for me, Thanks for taking you time with a dummy, me. MauyThai1

As I said before, e-mail for me is not the best form of communication for me. I understand you have an impairment, but a phone conversation is still best. My brother has had over 40% loss his whole life and 60% on one side. I have phone conversations with him all the time. I am used to huh, and repeating myself. So give me a call. E-mail sent.