Quantcast

Cams

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lenny

I myself could slam dunk a set in about 2 hours provided I had the proper shims. Ymmv

Jarrad, wish you were here to slam dunk mine in. I figure it will take me 3-4 hours, not including dealing with the shims. Kinarfi, you found a place that had some thicker shims. what were they for? I'm going to need some when I do my cams. I can grind them to the correct tollerance if I can get my hands on some.

Lenny

Isn't Silverbullet going to sale a shim kit? What is the average guy suppose to do? Bet ya he's working on it already!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Quote from silverbullet site

Trooper & Viper1100CC Cams.Custom grind for low end toque COMES WITH EVERY THING YOU NEED TO INSTALL

Jarrad, wish you were here to slam dunk mine in. I figure it will take me 3-4 hours, not including dealing with the shims. Kinarfi, you found a place that had some thicker shims. what were they for? I'm going to need some when I do my cams. I can grind them to the correct tollerance if I can get my hands on some.

Lenny

Monarch Honda motorcycle Orem. Let me know what you need and I can pick them up for you and mail them. If you like, I can give them a call tomorrow, or you can and you'll have the information first hand.

Monarch Honda Powerhouse

398 West 800 North

Orem, UT 84057-3860

(801) 224-4070

kinarfi

Guest Lenny

Monarch Honda motorcycle Orem. Let me know what you need and I can pick them up for you and mail them. If you like, I can give them a call tomorrow, or you can and you'll have the information first hand.

Monarch Honda Powerhouse

398 West 800 North

Orem, UT 84057-3860

(801) 224-4070

kinarfi

Thanks Kinarfi, appreciate your input and willingness to help. I will wait to see what all comes with the cams and proceed from there. Should know shortly.

Lenny

Just found this site.

http://www.mawonline.com/google/P137630.HTM

Lenny

Thanks Lenny, just added that info the parts and pieces

Valves shims are 25mm, Joyner shims start at 2.18 and increase in increments of .02 up to 2.80, The Honda shims come out of CB450s and GL1100s, start at 2.30 and increase in increments of .05

http://www.mawonline...gle/P137630.HTM

http://stores.ebay.c...&_sid=120606839

kinarfi

Guest Lenny

Lenny, can you check this link out, I don't think it's for the kit, I'm finding $136 for shim kits

Kinarfi

You may be right but I'm seeing $116. Guess some retailers can't seem to make themselves clear on what they want. I think the $28 is for a pack of 5. Go figure. Gosh, I thought I had it solved.

Lenny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lenny

Lenny, Have you received those cams yet or anybody else have the cams

Should receive them in a day or two now. Silver Bullet had them and got them sent out to me probably yesterday or today. I'll let you know how it all goes. I will also be advancing my cam timing by a few degrees to get more torque yet. Should be interesting to see what the dyno says. One thing I think we have to deal with is that the 86 HP shown by Joyner for the 1100 cc engine is over stated. It is actually 67 HP. From what I understand, Joyner has admitted overstating the HP but who cares. The Troopers run the way they do rather the specs says 5 HP or 5000 Hp. The Chery engine manufacture shows the engine at 67 hp. They still run pretty good stock. If I'm right about this, I won't have the 160HP I'm thinking I might see but instead 2 times the stock HP. I figure I'm getting about twice the air through the engine and thus should develope about twice the HP. At least the dyno run printouts will give us an idea of how much preformance we can get from the little engine that could after substantial preformance mods. I think to get more then I am getting would require going to very expensive exzotic engine mods. Of course adding nitrous would add some but I'm not going there. Don't want to push my luck any further. Engine seems to handle the current power fine.

Lenny

Silverbullet.

As you know we have the cams and will sell it as a complete kit.Lenny is going to be the first to try them out.He has been vary helpfull to getting it set up for us and we appreciate all the

hard work he has done .

Thanks

Lenny

what happend to the other guy were your add said you got more toqure 2-3 gear? lenny's is supercharged how will everboby elce know if they help on stock set up? dedub

Guest Lenny

what happend to the other guy were your add said you got more toqure 2-3 gear? lenny's is supercharged how will everboby elce know if they help on stock set up? dedub

Cams are in and I'm running. For the first time since I bought the Trooper I actually feel a surplus of torque in most any situation. The supercharger provided a nice increase in low end torque and the new torque cams with some cam timing advancing added another nice increase. This thing rips from the get-go. With the cams, I went up a hill ( the curved hill shown in the video I posted a while back ) for the first time in 3rd gear almost as easy as before in 2nd gear without the cams. These cams provide a good bit of extra torque and should work just fine with a stock machine. If someone adds the upgrade computer and the cams, their Trooper should be pretty impressive. I doubt anyone will be disappointed. I'm really excited to get this thing out in the country to play with. Still have to do the final dyno tuning yet so there is more power yet to find. I never expected a little engine like ours could be made to push something as heavy as the Trooper around so aggressively. Did someone say rally or desert racing. Not just yet, can't seem to get the front suspension just right. Think I'm going to re-mount the front shocks for more workable geometry. Right now the top of the shocks are about 10" apart and will probably try moving them to about 16" apart to get the tops more directly over the lower mounting points.

Maybe Caterpiller should consider this engine for their D12 Dozer.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

Lenny, You say upgrade computer what upgrade compurter are you talking about. How long did it take to put them in and was everything you needed in the kit.

SilverBullets computer. I haven't done his computer but everyone on here that has, has said good things about the low end torque gain. The kit should come with everything necessary to install the cams. I'll let Rick of SilverBullet detail what will come in the Torque Cam Kit. You can tear down the front of the engine and have the cams out in about 45 minutes, maybe 1.5 hours for the first timer. Installing the cams is simply reversing the process. I suspect 4 hours would be a good estimate. However you will have to provide SilverBullet with valve lash measurments when you order. Agian, Rick will fill in all the details on the kit. I'm very happy with the kit, it definetely adds torque. The computer and the torquecams are the way the Troopers should have beed made to start with. No more having to rev the engine to get it to do anything. Your Trooper will be much more driveable. I have to hand it to Rick at SilverBullet, he has come up with a combination to making these things run a whole lot nicer and more powerful that actually is very noticable.

Lenny

So I will ask the questions everyone will be thinking.

Lenny, ballpark figure on how many dollars $ it takes to get to the point where you have finally arrived at? If you were starting over, would a engine & trans replacement with another manufacture be cheaper / as cheap and a better route to go?

This was that concern always of racers, build the small block or replace with a big block.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Guest Lenny

So I will ask the questions everyone will be thinking.

Lenny, ballpark figure on how many dollars $ it takes to get to the point where you have finally arrived at? If you were starting over, would a engine & trans replacement with another manufacture be cheaper / as cheap and a better route to go?

This was that concern always of racers, build the small block or replace with a big block.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

It's really not a matter of how much it cost and rather it would be cheaper to go another direction. I rarely look at anything from a cost standpoint. Did I spend more money then I could have switch out to another engine and drivetrain for, probably so. Could you buy say from SilverBullet a supercharger kit, if he offered one, and fuel controller along with cams etc. for a price cheaper then switching out to a completely different set up, I'm not so sure. If you can do all the fabrication and switching out labor yourself along with machining needed items as I can, you could probably switch to something cheaper then buying from someone like SilverBullet. Here to date is all I have done to my Trooper.

Dual brake calipers at each wheel.

Modified gas tank to not run out of fuel when going down hill.

Added extra 6 gal fuel tank with transfer pump to main tank.

Went to 31x10.5-15 tires and wheels.

Aquired 33x16-15 and 33x12-15 paddel tires and wheels for the sand dunes.

Moved fuel pumps and fuel regulator behind passenger seat

Replaced front ball joints with better joints with greese fittings and securred better from pull out.

Replaced steering rack with electric power steering from Smart Car.

Added Viair air compressor with 3 gal tank

Eliminated front 2 piece drive shaft with u-joints with one piece of DOM tubing without any u-joints (saved 28 pounds)

Re-did entire hand brake system to include all 4 wheels and better rachet lever mechanism.

Rebushed clutch and brake pedals to eliminate rattles

Eliminated all switches on dash and replaced with good quality military toggle switches.

Built manual mechanism to replace electric 4x4 actuator

Re-wired the entire Trooper.

Replaced tail lights with LEDs

Switched to all Fox shocks and setup for 14-1/2" of travel both front and rear

Added bump stops all four corners.

Added limit straps all four corners

Added HID lights across top.

Replaced all relays and fuse boxes in rear.

Added GPS with seperate 12v wet cell battery isolated from main battery.

Switched to Optima marine battery

Increased storage box size under drivers seat

Added large storage area under hood.

Redid the upper and lower steering column u-joints

Modified front frame and sheet metal work for larger tire clearance including paddle tire clearance

Remade all four fenders

Added 1/4"alumjinum plate under gas tank for protection against rupture

Added heavy 3/8"aluminum plate under rear diff for protection with additional 3/8 inches directly under diff.

Added water cooler and 5 gal gas can racks on rear

Snorkled the intake

Added supercharger with after cooler

Changed out to larger radiator and high CFM fan while moving radiator farther away from engine

Flipping the intake manifold to the top side.

Opening and port matching both intake and exhaust passage ways

Shaving pistons and opening up head combustion chamber to lower compression.

Added Megasquirt aftermarket engine management computer

Installed heaters below the fronts of both seats

Strengthened swing arm pivot points and swing arms to prevent twisting

Strengthened the roll bar

Installed torque camshafts and advanced cam timing

Switched to Renegade differential gearing

Built larger throttle body (52mm from stock 38mm)

Ran PVC pipe from rear to front for better running of wires from rear to front

Added good commercial turn singal controller

Moved the steering column and wheel to center on the drivers seat

My mind is starting to get num. As you can see, I am truely retired and I have created a money pit as the wife says. Just the same I probably have put an extra 8-10K into the vehicle. This is almost entirely offset with money I earned by selling items for the Tooper on the internet. This is money I've earned but wouldn't have if I didn't buy the Trooper to begin with. Now if you add all the expirmenting and labor in, well, priceless. I have a huge mount of hours into it. If I spent that same time peddeling news papers, I would probably be rich. But that is not the story, I've loved every bit of it and have learned a huge amount about the operation of vehicles. I've always wanted to build one from scratch but without this expirence I couldn't have built anything of value, now I can. Bottom line, this has been the happiest part of my life so far and that includes when I was worth a couple of million. I wasn't happy at all then. Now I have far less money but figured it out correctly. Retirement isn't about money but about getting your time to do with as you please. Working in my little machine shop is heaven. My guess is you could duplicate what I did for 5-6K for the engine preformance stuff and the suspension and you would be buying bolt on kits. For that you get to have all the fun without the pride of accomplishment. That's just an ego thing anyway.

Lenny

It's really not a matter of how much it cost and rather it would be cheaper to go another direction. I rarely look at anything from a cost standpoint. Did I spend more money then I could have switch out to another engine and drivetrain for, probably so. Could you buy say from SilverBullet a supercharger kit, if he offered one, and fuel controller along with cams etc. for a price cheaper then switching out to a completely different set up, I'm not so sure. If you can do all the fabrication and switching out labor yourself along with machining needed items as I can, you could probably switch to something cheaper then buying from someone like SilverBullet. Here to date is all I have done to my Trooper.

Replaced front ball joints with better joints with greese fittings and securred better from pull out.

Eliminated front 2 piece drive shaft with u-joints with one piece of DOM tubing without any u-joints (saved 28 pounds)

Re-did entire hand brake system to include all 4 wheels and better rachet lever mechanism.

Eliminated all switches on dash and replaced with good quality military toggle switches.

Modified front frame and sheet metal work for larger tire clearance including paddle tire clearance

Remade all four fenders

Added heavy 3/8"aluminum plate under rear diff for protection with additional 3/8 inches directly under diff.

Snorkled the intake

Changed out to larger radiator and high CFM fan while moving radiator farther away from engine

My mind is starting to get num. As you can see, I am truely retired and I have created a money pit as the wife says. Just the same I probably have put an extra 8-10K into the vehicle. This is almost entirely offset with money I earned by selling items for the Tooper on the internet. This is money I've earned but wouldn't have if I didn't buy the Trooper to begin with. Now if you add all the expirmenting and labor in, well, priceless. I have a huge mount of hours into it. If I spent that same time peddeling news papers, I would probably be rich. But that is not the story, I've loved every bit of it and have learned a huge amount about the operation of vehicles. I've always wanted to build one from scratch but without this expirence I couldn't have built anything of value, now I can. Bottom line, this has been the happiest part of my life so far and that includes when I was worth a couple of million. I wasn't happy at all then. Now I have far less money but figured it out correctly. Retirement isn't about money but about getting your time to do with as you please. Working in my little machine shop is heaven. My guess is you could duplicate what I did for 5-6K for the engine preformance stuff and the suspension and you would be buying bolt on kits. For that you get to have all the fun without the pride of accomplishment. That's just an ego thing anyway.

Lenny

sounds like to me theres a lot of dancing around the questions. is the kit all there (should be) what was that old saying ( KISS ) dedub ps good luck plumber geting a straight awser. plumber you will need to know if grind is for your motor. lennys is supercharged that takes differnt grind on cam.

Cams are in and I'm running. For the first time since I bought the Trooper I actually feel a surplus of torque in most any situation. The supercharger provided a nice increase in low end torque and the new torque cams with some cam timing advancing added another nice increase. This thing rips from the get-go. With the cams, I went up a hill ( the curved hill shown in the video I posted a while back ) for the first time in 3rd gear almost as easy as before in 2nd gear without the cams. These cams provide a good bit of extra torque and should work just fine with a stock machine. If someone adds the upgrade computer and the cams, their Trooper should be pretty impressive. I doubt anyone will be disappointed. I'm really excited to get this thing out in the country to play with. Still have to do the final dyno tuning yet so there is more power yet to find. I never expected a little engine like ours could be made to push something as heavy as the Trooper around so aggressively. Did someone say rally or desert racing. Not just yet, can't seem to get the front suspension just right. Think I'm going to re-mount the front shocks for more workable geometry. Right now the top of the shocks are about 10" apart and will probably try moving them to about 16" apart to get the tops more directly over the lower mounting points.

Maybe Caterpiller should consider this engine for their D12 Dozer.

Lenny

Lenny how long did it take to install the cams, do you think they will work as well with a turbo? Thanks Robert.

Remade all four fenders

Snorkled the intake

Lenny

Lenny,

You say you are truely retired,what do you do with all the spare time you have???(LOL) My opionion it doesnt matter if it would have been cheaper in the long run to just switch out the drivetrain,its what you enjoy doing and makes you happy.We are all better off with you not choosing that direction because of all you have done and shared with us.I think we are very fortunate to have some members on here that has the time and capability to do these modifications and share them with us so it gives others the chance to pick and choose what to do.

Guest Lenny

Lenny how long did it take to install the cams, do you think they will work as well with a turbo? Thanks Robert.

The cams go pretrty quick, probably about 4-5 hours when you buy the kit from Silverbullet. This will be a function of you providing good valve lash information to SilverBullet when you order. That way, they can provide shims to make it a plug and play kit without the shim fussing. In my case, I helped Rick decide how to address the shim issue because this part of the package wasn't yet ready by them so I spent a good part of a day doing shimming. You won't have to do that. You should be able to just reassemble and the shims will be right. The kit will be complete with everything you need. Yes it will work with the turbo. Keep in mind that the torque I get at very low rpms is because of the supercharger that produces boost even at idle. With the turbo, you have to wait for it to spin up which they can do at a fairly low rpm. If you have the fuel controller from Silver bullet which will provide a higher fuel air ratio at low rpms, the lower end torque will be better. I don't know what computer your using now but it too may be doing the same. Either way, torque at any rpm is a function of a good fuel air ratio when getting into the throttle (12:1 area), lower then normal (14.7:1 area) which includes lots of air to the engine to burn it and good breathing of the engine, this assested by the Torquer cams. The torque cams along with advancing the cam timing will provide better breathing. Silverbullet already offers this package. As you can see it is impossible to give you guys a cost to duplicate what I have done. I've done some things over 2 or 3 and even 4 times before I was satisfied. You can avoid that extra work and go directly to a fairly good way to address areas. Thanks for you guys appreciating me but you guys are my inspiration and you have helped me a lot with ideas and fixes too. I'm as happy about being able to be a part of this community as I am of my Trooper. It's all part of this being the best part of my live. Thanks guys, you are all great.

PS; By the way, I didn't use a special cam shaft grind for my supercharger. I used the standard camshaft torque grind for a naturally aspirated engine.

Lenny