Quantcast

Cams

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lenny

thanks Lenny that was what we was wondering let us know how they work thanks for in put. dedub

I may just let the guys at the Jamboree tell you what they think. I'll let them drive it if they would like. My first impression is they work real good, lots of extra torque.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

To get the valve lash information I need to give to silverbullet What do I need to do. I think I need to rotate the cam were the lobe is up then take a feeler gauge and measure under the cam and lifter is this right and what should it measure.

Yes that is correct. There is a hex at the center of the exhaust cam that you can rotate it by. Just be careful and remove the spark plugs and be sure to have it in neutral. You will be basicly turning the engine using the timing belt so take it slow and easy. The valve lash is a bit difficult to measure on the front 2 valves but you can do it. I took my feeler gauge and bent the last aprox. 1" length of it to about 45 degrees to make it easier to get into the clearance between the lobes low point and the shim that sets into the pocket in the little cup. This measurment is important you get it correct. The best way to be confident that you have it measured right is to take 2 measurments on each valve. It may take several trys to get these 2 values but it's not too bad. What you want is the "go" and the "no go" measurments. These should be .001" apart. The one that goes should slide under freely or with very little resistance. You may feel it lightly tight but not much a all. The one that is a "no go" should be .001" larger then the "go" gauge blade but not want to slide under at all. SilverBullet will want to see both dimensions for each of the 16 valves, thus 32 values. The new cams are a specific dimension different then the stock cams. SilverBullet, by providing secondary shims that will be placed under the stock shims will bring the valve lash clearance to the correct measurment range as specified by SilverBullet. By receiving your correct current valve lash info, he can see to it that even if your current lash clearance is incorrect, that you receive secondary shims that will bring you to the correct clearance range. Be sure to carefully mark which measurment goes with which valve otherwise this won't work correctly. If SilverBullet doesn't provide you with a drawing of the top of the engine head with valve numbering information, do your own drawing. Always remember that the front of the engine is always the end with the accessories, like alternator etc. On the Trooper that makes the nuimber one cylinder being at the rear side of the Trooper and number 4 cylinder being right behind the seats. Silver bullet will tell you what clearance dimensions are correct. I'm not going to tell you here so you don't get influnenced by what you think you should be seeing. What Rick wants is what you are measuring for sure and nothing else. Just take your time.

Kinarfi, could you please add this to tech articles for others to refer to? Thank you.

Lenny

Silverbullet.

I will have a better idear next week when we take ours apart.This is not a job you want to rush.Read the instruction and go step by step.

Thank you for responding. I really am interested. Even tho I can do the work, it means something else will not get done. My plate is already full.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

How hard and how long would it take to install silverbullet new cams

It will take you all day.Just read instructions.Go slow step 1 and 2-3-4

We are taking apart our trooper so we can give you step by step with pictures and text.We will try to make it as easy as possible.We will try to give you every thing you need.V/C gasket toque specs.If you need timing belt we will have it.Just go slow you should due compression test and check valve clearances so you will no spec.If vary tight then some thing is going on like valves may be worn out.If compression is about 140 on all cylinders and you have clearance you should be ok.

Compression is about even on all cylinder thats a good sign.

This is just my thoughs on how to proceed with this job.The more experance the faster it will go.Retoque cylinder head bolts

If you need tech help call us

928 344 2117.It not hard just adjusting valve clearance is a pain.We will try to make it as easy as possibly.

We are taking apart our trooper so we can give you step by step with pictures and text.We will try to make it as easy as possible.We will try to give you every thing you need.V/C gasket toque specs.If you need timing belt we will have it.Just go slow you should due compression test and check valve clearances so you will no spec.If vary tight then some thing is going on like valves may be worn out.If compression is about 140 on all cylinders and you have clearance you should be ok.

This is just my thoughs on how to proceed with this job.The more experance the faster it will go.Retoque cylinder head bolts

928 344 2117.It not hard just adjusting valve clearance is a pain.We will try to make it as easy as possibly.

I don't know if you have shims, but you should put together a shim kit that has 16 of every size available, then when someone does a cam or a valve job or just needs to do a tune up, they rent your shim kit and when they return it with there used shims, you return a portion of the rent according to how many of your shims they used.

Just a thought.

Kinarfi

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if you have shims, but you should put together a shim kit that has 16 of every size available, then when someone does a cam or a valve job or just needs to do a tune up, they rent your shim kit and when they return it with there used shims, you return a portion of the rent according to how many of your shims they used.

Just a thought.

Kinarfi

Silverbullet

Thank you for your help.We think we have solved this problem.

Thanks Kinarfi

Supercharger coming in the near future.All brackets done at machine shop.Next supercharger if any body wants call me i need to buy 5 units to get a good price.So if you are going to build one i can get you a good price.If you want our unit we will give you supercharger for our cost only let me know.If you are serous call me.I have 3 sold all ready.We can talk about it if you have questions call me 928 344 2117 We are going to have it ready in about 30 to 60 days.Cost will be about the same as a turbo system.But much more power.We are going to due it by our selves if need to 30 to 60 days.We are going to due some new things that haven't been done yet

Thanks

Rich

silverbullet

Plumber will send mid week to you.We will give you toque specs on head bolts.Timing belt about 45.00.

Thanks

Rick

silverbullet

Plumber will send mid week to you.We will give you toque specs on head bolts.Timing belt about 45.00.

Thanks

Rick

Getting ready for my cams install and air/fuel ratio gauge so I can ajust my fuel controller. What numbers should I be looking for 10.7 to 12.7 or what post-178-0-43496300-1310254986_thumb.jpg

Guest Lenny

Getting ready for my cams install and air/fuel ratio gauge so I can ajust my fuel controller. What numbers should I be looking for 10.7 to 12.7 or what post-178-0-43496300-1310254986_thumb.jpg

Read your plugs. If you look in Google, You will find charts with pictures showing different plug conditions and what they mean. 10.7 may be a bit rich. I would shoot for maybe 11.5 when accelerating hard and about 12.5 when you back off a bit. If your just crusing it should be more 14 to 15 with 14.7 being a complete burn ratio. Best power will be around 11-12 area. Like i say watch your plugs. If you run too rich you stand a chance of burning your valves even though you might get a bit extra power at low end buy being extra rich.

Lenny

Read your plugs. If you look in Google, You will find charts with pictures showing different plug conditions and what they mean. 10.7 may be a bit rich. I would shoot for maybe 11.5 when accelerating hard and about 12.5 when you back off a bit. If your just crusing it should be more 14 to 15 with 14.7 being a complete burn ratio. Best power will be around 11-12 area. Like i say watch your plugs. If you run too rich you stand a chance of burning your valves even though you might get a bit extra power at low end buy being extra rich.

Lenny

Thanks

silverbullet , What day should I be watching for the brown truck

Maybe he forgot to mention they were sent out on the slow boat from China...(LOL) I have only purchased a couple things from silverbullet but when they said it was sent it usually came in a few days.Didnt want anyone to think i was really knocking them.