Quantcast

new joyner T2 owner

I have been reading this forum and decided to buy a T2. I think that this will be the first one in Montana. I am a disabled vet from the Iraq war. I served 13 years as an 11B and a Sniper. My trooper will be delivered tomorrow, needless to say, I am just a little excited. I am glad that there is a forum like this and many people willing to help with problems. I am looking forward to riding in the mountains of Montana with my trooper. I most likely will be asking alot of questions about the upgrades on the mechanical aspects, so please be patient with me. Thanks to all the good people on this forum...

I have been reading this forum and decided to buy a T2. I think that this will be the first one in Montana. I am a disabled vet from the Iraq war. I served 13 years as an 11B and a Sniper. My trooper will be delivered tomorrow, needless to say, I am just a little excited. I am glad that there is a forum like this and many people willing to help with problems. I am looking forward to riding in the mountains of Montana with my trooper. I most likely will be asking alot of questions about the upgrades on the mechanical aspects, so please be patient with me. Thanks to all the good people on this forum...

welcome to the forum,yes many good people on here to help.Thank you for your service and sacrifice for this country.

(edit by kinarfi) Amen!!

What did get, what year, got a photo?, and WELCOME

Good to have you fellow Vet. I just watched a pretty powerful story on CNN's website about a returned Veteran struggling with the horrors from war--pretty powerful. As an Air Force guy I never had to go outside the wire while I was there, yet it still left a profounding life-long affect on me. I served at Balad Air Base during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Daily, they tried to kill those of us that were on the base. I could'nt imagine what those who went off base were subjected to. I quickly gained a deep respect for those who did--thank you.

This is an excellent forum for information about your Trooper. Without it, many of our Troopers might be in the boneyard. There are few questions that go left unanswered.

Guest Lenny

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your service to this country. It's kinda of like we are all good buddies and looking out for everyone. Just ask and someone will jump on it. Enjoy your Trooper, I know you will. Be sure to read the pinned topics at the top of the forum page for things that should be addressed. Some are fairly serious and concern your safty.

Lenny

Thanks for the welcome! My T2 should arrive today. When it does, I will get pictures up. It is a 2009 trooper, I got 2 sets of tires with it, and a full cab with a heater. This will be great for hunting in montana. I live in Florence, just south of missoula on the western edge by Idaho. I am trying to contact the previous owner to find out what upgrades he has done to it. If not, the first thing i will do is the diffs, and a hinged hood. Other than that, I will know when I drive it.....Steve

Welcome dynamic1, that’s unbelievable commitment and sacrifice that you have made. Thanks for helping make this world a better place. Steve, the very first upgrade on your list should be a muffler. Even with a high powered rifle, the Trooper is just too noisy and will push game away. It will go from sounding like a Rally car to your Grandmas car with a good muffler.

Cheers Mike.

My vote for important upgrades is get the air filter out where it doesn't have to eat dust and put a k&n on it. Had to rering mine with only about 3000 Kilometers on it because of it's location and bad air. If you get a chance to go to the jamboree in June, and need place to camp, I have a nice back yard.

Kinarfi

Thanks guys. I will get a new muffler for it to keep it quite. The air cleaner has been snorkled, but i dont know what kind of air cleaner it has. If it does not have a K&N, I will get one...As far as the jamboree, I wont be able to make it. I am have another surgery on the 14th of June, my 4th from the injuries I sustained while in Iraq. I am hoping to be at next years. being retired, I have more time to do the things that are fun..Thanks again for the welcome..Steve

Good to have you fellow Vet. I just watched a pretty powerful story on CNN's website about a returned Veteran struggling with the horrors from war--pretty powerful. As an Air Force guy I never had to go outside the wire while I was there, yet it still left a profounding life-long affect on me. I served at Balad Air Base during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Daily, they tried to kill those of us that were on the base. I could'nt imagine what those who went off base were subjected to. I quickly gained a deep respect for those who did--thank you.

This is an excellent forum for information about your Trooper. Without it, many of our Troopers might be in the boneyard. There are few questions that go left unanswered.

I know where you were. I was medivaced through Balad to Germany. A good group of people there. A hard area to work, the hajies knew thats we used that base for medivac, so they hit it pretty often...Steve

Make sure you have the rear CV drive shaft. The stock one with U-Joints can go at any mileage. I would put the diff upgrade on your list of things to do, but it isn't a no go on driving immediatley if you do a quick check of your diff bolts. Jack up the front & rear of your Trooper and look through the oil fill plug. If all of the bolts are there and they don't appear to be loose then I would drive it and do the upgrade when you get some downtime. My Trooper has 1300 hard kilometers on it and they are still holding strong, but I will be doing the upgrade soon.

Welcome and I echo the thanks for your service. And by the way, thanks as I am not the new guy anymore :). The guys here are great and have been very helpful. Kinarfi helped me with my rear diff work (Lenny's kit) down at his shop here in Utah and I have fixed the front ball joint bolts as well as the air cleaner (though still not snorkel'd yet). Now am ready to take it out if it would just stop snowing and melt so I can get out around here.

Welcome dynamic1, that’s unbelievable commitment and sacrifice that you have made. Thanks for helping make this world a better place. Steve, the very first upgrade on your list should be a muffler. Even with a high powered rifle, the Trooper is just too noisy and will push game away. It will go from sounding like a Rally car to your Grandmas car with a good muffler.

Cheers Mike.

I used a Turbo muffler from a muffler shop, it has the best flow of any car muffler and is very quiet. Since I put it on I have driven as close as forty yards to herds of Elk before they look my direction showing they had heard me. Now when I open it up the waste gate from the Turbo makes more noise when I shift then the muffler. Putting a snorkel and a good filter on is huge like Jeff said, also check your rear diff, I had 1700 miles on before any problems then I was driving real easy about 15 mph when I had some noise from the diff and it started leaking fluid. I was able to drive it back but it could have been worse and left me walking. Tore it down and found it had sheared three bolts, had the upgrade done and now it is running great.

I have owned two Rhino's and a Prowler, the Trooper is by far the best on the market just fix a few issues and you will have a great machine. I have taken my T2 places I would have rolled or been stuck with others. The guys on this forum are great and know their stuff which is good for me because I don't. Good Luck.

Here's some stuff I found on Google, but also of concern is the offset, it's on this forum somewhere and if someone will provide it, I'll put that information in parts & pieces.

Kinarfi

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/catalog_fitment.asp?height=14&bolt=115&lug=4

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/catalog_fitment.asp?height=15&bolt=115&lug=4

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/images_all/STL63733U.jpg

STEEL WHEEL, 15 X 5.5, 16 HOLE

1991-7 HONDA ACCORD COUPE

1991-7 HONDA ACCORD SEDAN

1991-7 HONDA ACCORD WAGON

http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/images_all/STL63730U.jpg

STEEL WHEEL, 14 X 5.5,

1992-6 HONDA PRELUDE

Yes as Kinarfi say, beware of the backspacing/offset in the front wheels. If it is not correct the tie rods will hit the inside of the rim & you will not be able to turn the steering from side to side. No problem in the rear.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Thanks to all on this forum.. Your are the Americans that I fought for! The willingness to help each other is the true American Spirit. I thank you all. I went for a ride last night with my 17 year old son. We road up the mountains behind our house. I found out that the trooper drives like its on rails. My son has raced motocross, and when I went around the coners he said that I scared the hell out of him. This was good for me...I loved it.

On another note, I need to get some parts. I need new tie rod ends for the front, new ball joints, and I have a small leak in the right rear out put shaft. Is this the time that I should rebuild the differentials? My son is an excellent and loves to work on his dads stuff. I was wondering it this is the time to do the diffs. Do you guys know of any other Joyner owners in Montana? Steve

Thanks to all on this forum.. Your are the Americans that I fought for! The willingness to help each other is the true American Spirit. I thank you all. I went for a ride last night with my 17 year old son. We road up the mountains behind our house. I found out that the trooper drives like its on rails. My son has raced motocross, and when I went around the coners he said that I scared the hell out of him. This was good for me...I loved it.

On another note, I need to get some parts. I need new tie rod ends for the front, new ball joints, and I have a small leak in the right rear out put shaft. Is this the time that I should rebuild the differentials? My son is an excellent and loves to work on his dads stuff. I was wondering it this is the time to do the diffs. Do you guys know of any other Joyner owners in Montana? Steve

You can get all that stuff from Silverbulletmotorsports. Next time I look into tie rod ends I will be looking for something better than OEM. I bought new ones a few hundred KM's ago and they are already starting to get a little loose and the boots are cracked--again. I may go to a rod end with high misalignment spacers. Silverbullet sells ball joints with zerk fittings and better rubber boots. For the biggest improvement in steering slop, I HIGHLY recommend Lenny's steering improvement kit. He usually has these on EBAY. If you move your steering wheel back and forth you will notice the forks of the steering box move up and down prior to the tires moving. This is the source of most of the play. Lenny's kit will elliminate 90% of that. I have also seen that Silverbullet is marketing an upgraded steering box, but I don't know much about it. It is inherent in the design of these boxes that they will wear out internally. Lenny's kit allows you to keep tightening as the housing of the box continues to wear (it is adjustable).

Thanks for the welcome! My T2 should arrive today. When it does, I will get pictures up. It is a 2009 trooper, I got 2 sets of tires with it, and a full cab with a heater. This will be great for hunting in montana. I live in Florence, just south of missoula on the western edge by Idaho. I am trying to contact the previous owner to find out what upgrades he has done to it. If not, the first thing i will do is the diffs, and a hinged hood. Other than that, I will know when I drive it.....Steve

Hi Steve its nice to have you aboard, this forum is great alot of good people here, always willing to help you!!! goodluck with your trooper I am sure you will have a great time with it. I know I do with mine.

Stevozz

I am probably the closest one to you. I am in North Dakota.

You can get all that stuff from Silverbulletmotorsports. Next time I look into tie rod ends I will be looking for something better than OEM. I bought new ones a few hundred KM's ago and they are already starting to get a little loose and the boots are cracked--again. I may go to a rod end with high misalignment spacers. Silverbullet sells ball joints with zerk fittings and better rubber boots. For the biggest improvement in steering slop, I HIGHLY recommend Lenny's steering improvement kit. He usually has these on EBAY. If you move your steering wheel back and forth you will notice the forks of the steering box move up and down prior to the tires moving. This is the source of most of the play. Lenny's kit will elliminate 90% of that. I have also seen that Silverbullet is marketing an upgraded steering box, but I don't know much about it. It is inherent in the design of these boxes that they will wear out internally. Lenny's kit allows you to keep tightening as the housing of the box continues to wear (it is adjustable).

I have power steering now, but as you drive it, the steering wheel will make a 360 in about 50 miles, that I cant figure out. I will look at silver bullet and and get the parts I need. I will most likely get the new boot for the tie rod ends that they have. I think that these are the repairs that I need to make right away. My sons will upgrade the diffs when I have my surgery. Its great to have kids that love thier dad....Steve