Quantcast

windshield mount

Hey,

I'm looking to build my own windshield but i want to be able to take the windshield off when i feel like it.

What do you guys use to mount your windshield and maybe make it readily quick release too?

Need to call and see what size they are http://www.extrememe...37e70d5a6f624be When I bought my windshield they were for 1 3/4 tubing and they used a piece of rubber in it to make it fit

Great I'm now debating on if i should use acrylic or polycarbonate plastic or should i just go for automotive grade windshield?

I ask because i find acrylic shatter easily if hit by a small rock under 15 mph but have better clarity and there also is impact resistant acrylic and also scratches is easily polished out of acrylic and with polycarbonate its very solid but soft and easily scratched and fogged up

I just made one within the past two weeks. 1/4 aluminum 48" length and forget what height but it goes up to light bar/roll bar and had to cut out notches on each side for the light bar tabs. Then I had someone plasma cut the inside about 2 1/2" inside each edge. Went to glass shop and had them put in automotive glass with tinting that they sized up for the opening I had made. Total for this was about $250 or so as plasma cutting was free from someone I know along with welding 1/2 square aluminum at the top and bottom for rigidity. Glass covers almost the entire front and then the best part is I used Lenny's windshield mounts that came with the Lexan winshield I bought from him. I had four - two on each side and ordered four more at $11 a piece. They sent those to me and I put two more on each side for a total of 3 quick release mounts on each along with two up top. I did not drill out for the two up top yet but tightened around the roll bar and pushed up against frame of windshield. Lexan windshield just got too scratched up and dirty. Very tough to keep clean and see out of when riding into sunlight as well. Lenny, Ricksrb and Tom all had glass windshields at the Jamboree and that pushed me over the edge to finally do it. The nice thing now is that I do have a quick release with 3 knobs on each side thanks to Lenny's engineering. It came out very nice and I am extremely pleased with it. No issues putting it together and the nice thing is that I can remove quickly if I wanted to. Will send pictures later.

Bruhaw, are those clamps same thing extreme metal products or different?

Your window look good, does it fold down? I believe i see bolts for hinges on bottom?

Also I'm wondering how did you manage that metal around glass? It looks like more than just L angle metal brackets welded up together.

Its just my 27 year old brain can't imagine how to do that haha.

Thanks guys for all the information though

Bruhaw one more question... Since lot people complain about dust with full windshield, do you drive in dusty condition? Do your cab become a dusty smoking cab?

Im asking because i drive mostly in dusty or muddy condition

I don't know about Bruhaw but on my windshield I had to drill seven 4" holes across the bottom because of all the dust it was sucking in

Dust will come in if there is not some vent holes at the bottom. I also had a vent gap at the top of the windshield. I sucked very little dust and this also helps to keep the engine air filter clean since the cleaner the air in the seating area, the cleaner the air going to the engine filter. RainX helps keep dust off Lexan!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

It was a full sheet of aluminum that I had the inside cut out and any good glass shop will then make it to fit the opening. As far as driving - yes in dusty conditions and I do know that dust will get in the cab if you don't have the venting. On both sides of the windshield there is about an inch opening which I am hoping is enough to prevent some of that. The lexan windshield I had on it prior fully enclosed the front and it still wasn't that bad. The small openings should help some and If need be I can add some holes but I don't have a lot of area around the windshield to go 4" that is for sure. Also, I put some more pictures up in the gallery and a couple of them show the clamp very well. It does have rubber inside that wraps around the tubing. They are very similar to the ones on Extreme Metal Products for sure. No hinges on the windshield. What you are seeing is hinges for the front hood.

Bruhaw, how thick is the aluminum sheet u used? If u don't mind me asking, how much did u paid for the metal?...

Plumber, do you have same set up as bruhaw or you did it differently?

No I don't have the same set up as Bruhaw If you want to see mine go to ebay motor and type in joyner trooper mine is the blue one

Rocmoc also, I'm wondering did the 3 inch gap on top and 1 inch gap on bottom for venting worked good for you? I'm thinking about making that big vent holes in the sheet metal if i do it like bruhaw but not as nice due to using a air powered cut off wheel freehand

YES, I had about 1-2 inches at the top and 2+ inches at the bottom. The bottom was open from the hump on the driver's side to the passerger's side.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Guest Lenny

I've had a marine canvas top made for my Trooper and when doing this I had them make a closure for the top and bottom of my windsheild that velcros on. I have about a 4" space across the entire top of the windsheild and also a 4" space across the bottom. Opening or removing the one on the bottom makes a big differance on dust. The top one helps too but not as much. I can also fold my windsheild forward and anchor it onto the hood if I choose which I do quite often. I can now close it all off if it's cold out and there isn't a dust problem or open it up completely if I want the wind in my face or anything in between. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Lenny

Lenny, that's good idea but I'm not going with a canvas top i have plans to put sheet metal on top inn place where safari rack used to be. Then I'm going to junkyard and pull a manual sunroof and maybe install it and also paint the roof panel

Rocmoc so from what i understand you have more gap on bottom and windshield stop at driver side hump on dash correct?

I made my own.

I live in rain hell. It usually rains every day where I am, but you never know. So I have two windshields - one emergency one and a solid one for those olympic-sized-swimming-pools-dropped-on-your-head events.

My quicky is made of Mica that is usually rolled up and tucked inside my roof. The second one is Lexan, which rides inside aluminum tracks upper and lower, for those long wet rides to keep wife happy.

The quicky one works surprisingly well, but leaves me seasick on long rides. It is the perfect solution for surprise showers. I'll take pics tomorrow.