Quantcast

Power loss for 5 seconds at a time

All I have been reading but not finding what is happening to me yet. I have been fighting the same problem for months now.

The t-4 will flat out go at times then it will loose power down to 500 rpms or so for 5-15 seconds then you hear it regain the rpms and off I go again.

I have completely cleaned the gas tank, repositioned the filter changed the filter numerous times. Added the a higher pressure Bosch pump.

I thought it was a dirty tank with debris getting in the way since when I took my foot off the gas it would recover in a few seconds 5-15.

I read the post about the IAC but most of them were about over revs. I thought maybe it was the computer protecting itself, if too high of revs.

I'm too the point just just throw this engine out and put a VW in it.

I just posted a thread about the engine malfunction signal, it may be worth your while to hook it up and see if it tells you that the engine has malfunctioned or not during these episodes http://www.utvboard.com/topic/1834-trooper-computer-outputs-we-can-use/page__view__findpost__p__14692 Let me know if you need help, as for the actual problem, no real ideas about it, can't be rev limiting can it?

Guest Lenny

Rev limiting kicks in when you reach as specifit rpm and then turns off when the engine gets to an rpm maybe 100-200 rpms lower. It's mmore of a bap, bap, bap, on and off and not a 5-15 second delay. I would run a fuel pressure gauge directly from the fuel rail input and put it where you can see it when this happens. it the fuel pressure stays ok then it's not a fuel problem. Could be something might be heating up and loosing connection. Could be in the computer.

Lenny

I HATE problems like this.

This sounds like a computer or fuel injection problem.

Check:

Does this happen only when hot?

Does it sound like its being bogged down from excessive fuel, or is it being starved?

What's the fuel pressure read when this is happening? You might want to relocate your fuel pressure guage. (I've thought of it myself, cus it would look so darn cool to have it where I can ACTUALLY SEE IT)

Check your plugs immediately after the event. What is their color? I'd check both oxygen sensors. Perhaps one is sending the wrong signal intermitantly...are the O.S. cables ok?

Check your comp. Jeese, after reading a thread on water entering the ECM, you never know.

I'll probably dream up a few more useless questions tonight.

Thanks to all so far. I hope to get time this weekend to dig in with the mechanic

I will relocate fuel gauge if possible, I believe it is dropping but unsure because it sounds starved of gas. New Bosch pump put in a few months ago, could be an intermittent bad pump.

It is has happened both hot and cold, but moe when hot.

I will keep this thread updated until the problem is fixed or I put in VW motor.

I will also IAC valve and the computer for moisture.

Will also see if someone has the equipment to read the fault codes.

If the fuel pressure drops, the fix is pretty simple. Hope the fuel pressure drops. Check all your plugs too.

One more question. Does it sound like a cyl or two is getting cut out, or is it some weird knocKing sound, or is it just like you throttled down? If it's a comp or CPS sensor issue, your plugs will likely tell you.

Crank position sensor. If your CPS is bad or CPS wires are shorting, you'll have the ECM confused.

FYI, I'm speaking from motorcycle experience. I've just gotten my Joyner, so I have next to nothing on it. However, it does have electronic ignition, so it may suffer many or most of the same issues I've faced before.

Guest Lenny

If you need a CPS, you'll have to get one from Casey or Silverbullet. I managed to find one the would fit up, not easy to do, but the computer wouldn't read it. Had to get one from Silverbullet for it to work. It's not the IAC. I have my fuel gauge comming up in between the seats behind the parking brake handle. If something is acting funny, I can quickly glance at it and see if it's the fuel system or eliminate it as the problem. I find it really nice to be able to monitor it at will.

Lenny

All I have been reading but not finding what is happening to me yet. I have been fighting the same problem for months now.

The t-4 will flat out go at times then it will loose power down to 500 rpms or so for 5-15 seconds then you hear it regain the rpms and off I go again.

I have completely cleaned the gas tank, repositioned the filter changed the filter numerous times. Added the a higher pressure Bosch pump.

I thought it was a dirty tank with debris getting in the way since when I took my foot off the gas it would recover in a few seconds 5-15.

I read the post about the IAC but most of them were about over revs. I thought maybe it was the computer protecting itself, if too high of revs.

I'm too the point just just throw this engine out and put a VW in it.

Not sure if you came across this topic http://www.utvboard.com/topic/1423-power-loss/page__hl__%2Bloss+%2Bof+%2Bpower__fromsearch__1 but it sounds like the problems you are having is very close to the same as what i was having. I checked everthing and like you pulled the tank a couple times as well as new fuel filter,air filter fuel lines regulator, checked all wire connections and finally replaced the computer and have not had the issue since.Too bad your not close to someone with a trooper to switch them out just to see if that is it.

Guest Lenny

I've recently was given a Trooper ECM to sell. Was getting ready to put it on Ebay. Asking $350.00. This came out of a running Trooper and to reconfirm it being good I tested it on Kinarfis Trooper when we were at Coral Pink Sand Dunes. The computer is good. I don't like to ship stuff back and forth like computers so if it doesn't solve your problem it will be up to you to resale it to get your money back out of it. Let me know if your interested and I won't put it on Ebay.

Lenny

Lenny I will take it. Dumb question same computer for the T-4. I understand once I buy it's mine if I don't need it. I'll probably hold on to it or put it on eBay.

I've recently was given a Trooper ECM to sell. Was getting ready to put it on Ebay. Asking $350.00. This came out of a running Trooper and to reconfirm it being good I tested it on Kinarfis Trooper when we were at Coral Pink Sand Dunes. The computer is good. I don't like to ship stuff back and forth like computers so if it doesn't solve your problem it will be up to you to resale it to get your money back out of it. Let me know if your interested and I won't put it on Ebay.

Lenny

Lenny I will take it. Dumb question same computer for the T-4. I understand once I buy it's mine if I don't need it. I'll probably hold on to it or put it on eBay.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

Lenny got the computer. Just back from 3 days at the Baja 500. Will try to get the computer changed soon but weather is getting hot already to spend too much time testing.

Good luck

Lenny