Quantcast

Interested in feedback on the 2011 & 2012 Troopers

2scoops

Well, I know many 2008 & 2009 Trooper owners unknowingly became the R&D department for Joyner. I am curious to find out how the 2011 & 2012 Troopers are holding up? Have they resolved all of the common problems? What, if any, issues have you had?

My curiosity stems from wondering to recommed to my friend buying a used Trooper (cheaper but may have problems) or a new and "improved" model.

I haven't seen any comments anywhere on the new Troopers. Maybe none sold yet? If I were going new this would be of greater interest-

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=hp-pvdt&va=renli+buggy

Casey at JMC says he will have them for sale soon. He has units currently at EPA for certification. Similar to Joyner w/Chery 1100cc and 5 sp manual trans. Available in 2wd and 4wd. Does not appear to have low range so that's a bummer. Took a ride a couple weeks ago in friends Polaris Ranger and was very impressed on severe mountain trails near Payson. It went places my Trooper would never go due to low range option. Still prefer my Joyner but this new Renli looks sweet!

Hey fellas im new here but have recently bought a 2012 trooper t2. Love the thing for sure! Only have 190 miles on it so far but it seams rock sollid really. Only chinsy thing about it are the skid plates! They are around a 16th in. Thick alluminium and for us rocky trail runners/climbers thats way to flimbsy. Almost had a rock penitrate my skid and hit my gas tank to its getting new skids built at the welders. Its an awsome rig though for sure. Not sure if the rear diff is upgraded for the 12 modle wouldnt know what to look for. Also i ordered some 29x9,50 r14 swampers for it and got lots more planned for performance wise;)

Thanks for the reply 12TrooperT2. We usually don't hear from Trooper owners until there is a problem. Good to hear you are happy with yours. Where did you buy you T2?

The stock skidplates are terrible. The screws protruding out of the bottom are even worse. I recomment a skidplate made out of UHMW.

The welder i took the skids to is building the rear diff plate out of 3/8 in. Aircraft alluminium and the mane plates out of 1/4 in. aircraft alluminium. That should do then slowly build more for the whole bottom side. You guys know if this little engine will push 29 in. tires and klimb still if its stock?

The welder i took the skids to is building the rear diff plate out of 3/8 in. Aircraft alluminium and the mane plates out of 1/4 in. aircraft alluminium. That should do then slowly build more for the whole bottom side. You guys know if this little engine will push 29 in. tires and klimb still if its stock?

I struggled with the decision to swap out my wheels and put a set of 31" on there. Did it and haven't looked back......except to smile! The extra ground clearance is awesome, and like Charlie says, 1st gear usability improved. I was worried that I would loose some of the rock crawling abilities, but I have still been able to climb all the same hills after the swap as I did before. I actually use first gear now though.

Still it should be said that the low end torque lacks the ability to impress, on an 09' model at least, regardless of the tire size.

I struggled with the decision to swap out my wheels and put a set of 31" on there. Did it and haven't looked back......except to smile! The extra ground clearance is awesome, and like Charlie says, 1st gear usability improved. I was worried that I would loose some of the rock crawling abilities, but I have still been able to climb all the same hills after the swap as I did before. I actually use first gear now though.

Still it should be said that the low end torque lacks the ability to impress, on an 09' model at least, regardless of the tire size.

What tires did you put Mariner - truck or UTV? And are you still running 14" rims?

Finally got my skid plates back and going to go test em out on an elk hunt tgis weekend they only cost me $150. Also found one problem area for anyone who has a 2012 joyner to look at. Problem is that the bolts are not locktited in place and vibrate loose on the brake callipers. Allredy rattled two of my callipers untill they fell free but nothing a little BLUE LOCKTITE not red cant fix. Also if you have had this problem pay attention to the other brakes as there is a thin washer between the mounting surfaces of the calliper and the hub housing surface. Also has anyone put any interco black momba tires on their trooper? If so how ya like em?

Finally got my skid plates back and going to go test em out on an elk hunt tgis weekend they only cost me $150. Also found one problem area for anyone who has a 2012 joyner to look at. Problem is that the bolts are not locktited in place and vibrate loose on the brake callipers. Allredy rattled two of my callipers untill they fell free but nothing a little BLUE LOCKTITE not red cant fix. Also if you have had this problem pay attention to the other brakes as there is a thin washer between the mounting surfaces of the calliper and the hub housing surface. Also has anyone put any interco black momba tires on their trooper? If so how ya like em?

That little thin washer can be a pain to deal with. On mine, I tack welded it in place, making it much easier to reinstall the calipers.

Lenny.

I went to a brembo dual caliper used on motorcycles on my front calipers. Improved the braking, but still not where I want it. I had to fab some mount brakets out of plate steel for these to work. How is the braking on the 2011/2012's? Same I would imagine...they stop you but don't really provide much feel or grab?

I run 30" dominator 540's from superatv. They have been bullet proof. I don't even worry about carrying a spare. I hit a rock in Moab and felt the tire pinch hard against the rim, the kind where you cringe and wait to hear the hiss. Upon inspection I had a small cut in the sidewall, but nothing into the threads. My friends with Maxxis Bighorns have had 4-5 holes each in their sidewalls since I have owned these. They are soft though, so if you run on the road alot I would not recommend them. When we run on the slick rock in Moab I hear other tires churp on steep inclines/declines where mine just bit & stick.

• 2 months later...

Hey fellas have had a couple more isues with my 2012 trooper one was a problem that evaded me for a week before i figured it out. I came down a steep grade and i mean STEEP to and the fuel pump started getting loud after i leveled out it would get quiet like it got gas now and again so luckaly we made it to camp with only a few spits and sputtrers. After getting back i noticed fuel pressure dropping off and finally syopped falling at 10 psi so i bought the pump and filter (pump out of mid 90s Ford truck & filter from a Chevy) only to find out the fule regulator set screw had came lose so watch the regulater. And the other problem is with the right front break. When aplying break it slaps like it is grabing and is lose but all looks to be good and tight anyone else have that prob? Other than that this machine is great!

T2 Trooper has 370 miles on it as of post.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there 2Scoops! So far i have almost 1200 miles on my 12 mod year T2 and its had minor problems. Some of which i have covered. The break caliper that was slapping was due to a sticky mud plugged port which the calliper floats on. One other isue i have is the lower hiem joints on the front a arms are getting sloppy but easy fix got new ones strait from Joyner for good price think 60 dollars total. Had one shock blow a seal on the front too but this is all due to 1000 miles of rough roads so something has to give eventually i guess. Oh and the headlamp wireing was ziptied way too tight which caused a short and killed the original lamps but new set of led lamps work great. So far my setup has only changed with adding the led head lamps and 15 inch m12 diesel wheels with 29x10.50 super swamper sx bias tires. Have lots more planed tho. Hope this help with your wonders.

Yes it does. Those are very minor. Good to hear it is holding up. The guys on the Wildcat forum have all kinds of crazy problems big and small. I just bent a tie rod on my Wildcat that would have never happened on the Trooper. They used flimsy aluminum tie rods to save weight. The Trooper isn't light but it is stout.

I came down a steep grade and i mean STEEP to and the fuel pump started getting loud after i leveled out it would get quiet like it got gas now

T2 Trooper has 370 miles on it as of post.

Have you read any of the posts about how to fix the steep down hill problem, easiest is to add a surge tank. Or did they move the pump to inside the tank?