Quantcast

New Trooper

Kinarfi

I've been considering a new Trooper for a while and a deal for a new motor home came up and I have to go to Tuscon AZ to get it. My son will end up with it, so he's going down with me to get it, and since I have to pass through Phoenix, I decided to stop and get one. It will be Blue, have a winch, canvas top, overhead lights(not installed) and I'm having them put General Grabber AT2 tires on it, including the spare.

Looking forward to trying it out. What a way to solve my problems!!!!

Jeff

Silverbullet

The new Trooper has a lot of up grads .You get the most bang for the buck.I do not sell buggy's but just check out whats out their.The price for a RZR is 20,000 +++ and up some people spend 27,000 i speak to then every week and they tell me how good they are .You have to ether have to much money or just stumped.Rzr are great but before you leave the show room you could have bought a Nissan Altima.No disrespect just a thought.

Makes since to me.

My son has an RZR 800, my friend has a Can-Am Commander and I can't even drive either one of them because of my handicap, I'm 6'4" and they're both too tight for me, I can't get my foot from the gas to brake, and after listening the the constant drone of the two cylinder motor all day, ick. And the Trooper is roomier.

Have you ever had to remove all the string from a blown belt? it's a mess and you have to disassemble the clutch to get it out. The engine in the Can-Am is between the passenger and driver and it makes the foot well HOT. They both came with windshields, so they were both dusty, fixed later, but the Trooper was dusty too when I put a windshield in it.

I like the 4 cylinder and clutch too, plus the style of the Trooper.

Oh yea, I have over 20,000 Km on it and I do think with decent maintenance, it's still good for another 20,000, and they weren't easy miles.

Jeff

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByQAhs0e-yF9LTh2UWJ0LXdDUTQ&usp=sharing

Here's the story, my brother took this motor home down to trade in on a camper trailer and I had already asked if he wanted to sell it, so he said I could have it for what they were going to give him for it, great deal, If I didn't like it, I knew i could sell it for probably twice what I paid for it, and since I had to go through Phoenix and I wanted a new Trooper, why not get it at the same time? I walked around it taking pictures for future reference and I'm putting them in google drive so I can share them.

Compared to my 2008, here's what i like & don't like;

Wider fenders,

Better exhaust system, sounds good and not too loud, probably works better too

Brakes seem to work a lot better,

Moved the radiator out from behind the motor to the front of the cargo deck, I haven't decided if I like it there, but I think I will, it turns on when it's needed instead of running all the time,

They put zerk fittings on the swing arms'

I got the Yearben shock upgrade and they are sooooo much better the what I had.

I am modifying the clutch, brake and gas pedals, photo will show up later,

The canvas top was and still is a bad joke!!!!! flap flap flap while driving,

The way this motor has performed shows me how bad my 2008 motor is, it's only got 22000+ kilometer on it.

Had to replace my trailer tires when I got home, lucky I made it.

I plan to put skid plate under where your feet go.

They need to learn about clip on nuts for mounting the skip plates

more later

Jeff

Going to DMV to get a license plate for it today so I can drive it the street today, then I'll be taking it up the canyon for a ride today, with out the hood, I'm putting a hinge on it so it opens from the front, but my parts aren't here yet, will photo it and add it to my google drive as I progress, also plan to add a heater to keep my feet warm, anyone have any good ideas of how to go about this? I'm planning to conceal it in the center divider, pull air in at the top and blow it out both sides on our feet.

Thanks,

Jeff

https://drive.google...UTQ&usp=sharing

At one point i was looking at adding a heater also. I thought of installing them in the storage area under the seats facing forward and cut openings for the hot air to blow forward towards our feet. I was looking at heaters simular to the one i placed a link for below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-300-Watt-Electric-Heater-Fan-UTV-Cab-RV-Camper-Auto-Car-Truck-12-Volt-/351521872874

have mounted heater assemblys under the drivers/and or pasengers seat so the heat blows forward onto the feet and legs (doesnt work that well here in Canadas winter,as turns snow to slush and water) dont think you should often have that as an issue..lol... I havent put forced air heat in my own,but did do driver and passenger upper and lower seat portions heated with low and high options...my wife loves it...I am also really starting to appreciate it even on a cool rainy day/or on the way home after playing in the mud....Hardy

A few more fixes, another modification, yesterday I noticed that if I turned the wheels either way to the locks, the tire rubbed the brake lines, so to fix it I needed to twist the lines so they would roll away from the tire instead of into the tire. To do this, I decided to remove the brake caliper and rotate it. It worked. To get to the calipers, I had to remove the tires, to remove the tires, I had to remove lug nuts, and that took a breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater bar. Joyner needs to learn about those torque limiters for impact wrenches. My 2008 Trooper had the lug nuts on so tight it needed a breaker bar also.

I also put a hinge on the hood with 2 knobs to hold it down, works good so far. Look at the last few photo on my google drive.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByQAhs0e-yF9LTh2UWJ0LXdDUTQ&usp=sharing

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to the Sand Dunes and had a good time, the suspension was a lot better than what I have on the 08 and the power is a lot better, but then the engine is new too, I also did some riding in the mountain area which is actually my preference and followed one trail until it came to what looked like a treacherous down, I was alone, so I chose not to go down it, Later I went to the bottom of the trail and went up it and turned around and came back down, the Trooper is very sure footed and stable on uphills and side hills. I did have one little mishap though, I was ripping a narrow whoop de do tail and got side ways a bit and snagged a sage brush and cracked a rear fender, bummer. I asked Brandon if he had any in stock and he didn't have one in blue, but said to sand down the area around the crack and epoxy it with JB Weld. So I'm in the process of fixing that and finishing other modification and additions, I opened up a new photo album here also. http://www.utvboard.com/gallery/album/146-kinarfis-new-blue-2015-trooper-t/and I took a whole bunch of photos for myself of it new and untouched for future references in case I need to see how it was in the beginning.

To me, the Trooper is a unique machine, hope it's around for a long time!

Jeff

Here's another mod you may or may not be interested in, if you have a fan that turns on & off, it keeps the fan running all the time, but at a slower speed so it comes on less. I did this because the new Troopers like mine have the radiator up just behind the seats, it's not really that noisy, but I could, so I did.

http://www.utvboard.com/gallery/image/1086-fan-run-slow/

http://www.utvboard.com/gallery/image/1087-img-20151101-112005/

http://www.utvboard.com/gallery/image/1088-img-20151101-112043/

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a few more modification / additions to my new Trooper. I started out to add a windshield that I could fold up out of the way if I wanted to and ended up adding gas springs to hold the hood up when open, the gas springs I ordered for the windshield were too long and too strong, so I used them on the hood and got shorter, weaker springs for the windshield. The photos for the hood are here :https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByQAhs0e-yF9VllUc1dUM00zdzg&usp=sharing

and the photos for the windshield are here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByQAhs0e-yF9S1dHVXdnRzE0ZUU&usp=sharing

If you have trouble viewing these, let me know and I'll put them in the gallery

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Here's some more advice for ALL Joyner owners, pull you ECU out and open it, that is, remove the aluminum covers and see what the circuit board looks like.

http://www.utvboard.com/gallery/image/1092-img-20160111-t2-computer-4/

Clean it up as needed and then put it back together and seal it.

http://www.utvboard.com/gallery/image/1091-img-20160111-t2-computer-15/

I use ordinary silicone sealant, I did this to both Troopers, the new Trooper's ECU had some fine dust in it that had accumulated to the point I thought it was gasket material when I first opened it, but it rubbed off before I could photo it. I also put the ECU inside a plastic bag and seal the bag shut as best it can around the wires before remounting it. I really like those anti static bags that electronic parts come in.

Jeff