Quantcast

'2008 TROOPER T2 WOULDN'T START

kandlinaz

Good grief...just got back from a 10 day camping trip. Took the trooper, it ran fine when we loaded it. Unloaded it in camp, started it a couple of times to move it, all was well. The next morning, hubby went to start it again, and it would not fire. We've been browsing the site for others with the same problem, and nothing quite fit the symptoms we had. But, hubby (Lloyd) took all electrical connections loose, cleaned them, etc. No burned wires, no blown fuses, no burned relays. The only thing he found was very dirty sensor (I forgot which one he said it was). After putting it all back together, and with the help of some starting fluid, it fired. He's still not sure he fixed it, but I wanted to let y'all know we found the places to trouble shoot on this site. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

silverbulletr

Hello

You need to go back to basics.Is the fuel pump running and do you have fuel pressure at the gauge.Pressure should be at 50 PSI.Take off fuel line of and see if you have fuel coming out of fuel line.If that is good then check for spark pull out spark plugs and ground out housing see if it has spark.If so then get back to me 928 344 2117.Az time call 9:30

Ask for Rich

Hey Silver Bullet, thanks for replying! Yeah, Lloyd did all of that right off the bat. He checked fuel pressure, fuel pump functioning. The only thing he hasn't done is check for spark, but it fired. Then he let it come up to operating temp, took it for a short ride, shut it off and then started it again. It fired again. He started it several times, and it's been starting since, with no problem. He said it was the MAC sensor that was really dirty, if that has anything to do with it. He said he might call you tomorrow concerning the ignition. If he turns to the accessory side (did it by accident when he was starting it and shutting it off) - to the left, the starter engages. That's obviously not supposed to happen. Do you have one, or an OEM replacement?

THX AGAIN!!!

Kathy

silverbullet

I went to Oregon to the Dunes for a week.The Joyner started normal than when i got to Oregon and it was Damp out in the in the morning and it would not start.It was just the damp weather.I had to use starter fluid than every morning it did the same thing till i got home.I guess it just doesn't like that weather.

• 1 month later...

More starting issues - it seems the buggy doesn't like cool mornings for a change. It will whirl but not start if its close to the freezing mark. After the day warms up, it will start with no problem. A simple pull with another vehicle and it will also start with no problem. New plugs, new battery, etc have not seemed to help the matter. Any ideas gang?

Thx for the reply Jeff. Lloyd can give it just a little throttle and it starts as well. Seems kinda strange. Will check compression for sure. 18k kilometers on the buggy, no dust now but there was when we first got it before we upgraded the air filter. Lloyd changes he oil regularly, cleans the air filter nearly with every trip out to keep dirt out of it. Not foolproof, I know.

Lloyd can give it just a little throttle and it starts as well.

Adjust your butterfly/throttle screw so it idles or replace your DLA, Page 106 of 2008 manual, see attached. My DLA died long ago and I had the same problem, I adjusted the screw and had no problems since.

Also, another idea for you is to add a light to you ECU, pin 70 to tell you if you have an engine malfunction (check engine soon light)

See the last few entries -- https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByQAhs0e-yF9ZjNtc1JlTEVpQ0U&usp=sharing

If interested, let me know and I'll explain how I did it.

Jeff

post-90-0-50598200-1448210516_thumb.png

post-90-0-08436700-1448210860_thumb.png