Quantcast

TROOPER GENERAL COMMENTS & QUESTIONS, VARIED SUBJECT LINES

brostar

This is my 2008 Joyner Trooper. The engine is a 1100cc 4 cylinder, 16 valve, 86 h/p, EFI with five speed manual Transmission and front & rear diff lockers. The suspension set up is Double A-Arms in the front with 10" travel & Boxed Trailing Arms on the rear with 12" travel. Brakes are Hydraulic Disc all around with Dual Callipers on the rear. As well as having the biggest engine in UTVs it has also got the biggest foot print with a length of 127", 65" wide and 69" high and a big 13" plus ground clearance. The towing capacity is 2000lbs.

1st gear is a granny gear and I find myself in 2nd, 3rd & 4th most of the time. 5th gear is good for coming home on metal roads. With the Trooper's length and width it is very comfortable on rough terrain with it's suspension seats. This is a big UTV so it's not every bodies choice but for climbing, ripping through mud or a good level of comfort at speed and safety with a 5 point harness, that's what I chose.

post-85-1223286444_thumb.jpg

Cheers Mike

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the troopers!!! Whats going on bro hows the riding over there? Been busy? We sure have... I can't wait until lil Emerie gets here so I can ride once again. I kind of got tricked into a ride when I was just suppose to be going in the parade...well they took everyone who was in the parade straight to the ride... and ending up being on a trail for hours and hours. :o I was kind of scared for the baby...but since the Joyners are so smooth riding it wasnt as hard on her as riding something else. The doc said she was fine...so she has got her first ride in the womb... haha I just cant wait until she can experience on herself..with her bad a$$ mom of course:)

I love the troopers!!! Whats going on bro hows the riding over there? Been busy? We sure have... I can't wait until lil Emerie gets here so I can ride once again. I kind of got tricked into a ride when I was just suppose to be going in the parade...well they took everyone who was in the parade straight to the ride... and ending up being on a trail for hours and hours. :o I was kind of scared for the baby...but since the Joyners are so smooth riding it wasnt as hard on her as riding something else. The doc said she was fine...so she has got her first ride in the womb... haha I just cant wait until she can experience on herself..with her bad a$$ mom of course:)

MegZ, there is always something on the go over here. As for sales, man it's bad. Every retail sector is feeling pain & lots of it. When America sneezes, we get a cold, now America's got the flu we are got in the well you know what. The weather is spot on at the moment and was going for a blast this Saturday but something else popped up. I went for a spin a couple of weeks ago & although the track was easy, I enjoyed it. I saw your bump pics & yep she's on her way. If you get to a couple of weeks over due, go for a gentle ride to get things moving along.

Cheers Mike.

MegZ, there is always something on the go over here. As for sales, man it's bad. Every retail sector is feeling pain & lots of it. When America sneezes, we get a cold, now America's got the flu we are got in the well you know what. The weather is spot on at the moment and was going for a blast this Saturday but something else popped up. I went for a spin a couple of weeks ago & although the track was easy, I enjoyed it. I saw your bump pics & yep she's on her way. If you get to a couple of weeks over due, go for a gentle ride to get things moving along.

Cheers Mike.

You know things did slow down here for a bit in June and july but now its back to the norm with lots of customers looking, talking, and trying to buy! The economy is not doing great...and thats a fact. Have you seen the new 09 catalog yet? let me know its BAD A$$!!!! The t2 hard enclosure is by far one bad outfit! I love it!!!

MegZ, I have seen the catalog on TJ USA's site. Do you know anything about a Hard Enclosure for the T4 yet ? I need a $ asap for someone.

Cheers Mike

I'm still waiting on to hear when we can get the 4 seat renegade and 4 seat trooper... but we have a Camo t2 enclosure coming and guess what... I just sold it two days ago.... So we may paint it to put on our red one or blue one...to pimp it up:) I will send pics when it happens.. I will keep my ears open also and if I hear anything about the 4 seat enclosures I will let you know.

Thanks for that MegZ. Painting the other enclosure should be an easy job but what type of paint would be best? Maybe vinyl spray on paint is the only option.

Cheers Mike.

No prob. we have a guy who does our custom paint jobs here... It will be whatever he suggest will be the best for an offroad vehicle. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally Pics but I maxed my space. How or when do we get more?

Kinarfi has already noticed I have reversed my tires. I did this nearly a year ago when I was playing in some dune sand in Mexico. I was trying to get some paddle action going. Well, it didn't work but I found out the tire rode smoother & quieter reversed on hard surfaces with no lose of off-road performance. The lugs in the correct direction are needed for the cleaning action when playing in the mud. So, YES they are reversed on purpose!

post-144-1224621080_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Finally Pics but I maxed my space. How or when do we get more?

Kinarfi has already noticed I have reversed my tires. I did this nearly a year ago when I was playing in some dune sand in Mexico. I was trying to get some paddle action going. Well, it didn't work but I found out the tire rode smoother & quieter reversed on hard surfaces with no lose of off-road performance. The lugs in the correct direction are needed for the cleaning action when playing in the mud. So, YES they are reversed on purpose!

rocmoc, I was reviewing old threads and post to begin organizing subjects so others can find what input they need. Easier then reading the entire bunch of threads to find it. Anyway, I ran across this post where you tried reversing your tires. Thanks for trying them that way, I wondered about the same possible paddle action by doing that. I guess I won't need to try it now.

Lenny

Kinarfi, like your foam. I was looking at mine today and was thinking something that would attach with velcro. Looks to me that you really don't need to attach the foam but that it just pops in and out using a few stationary tabs to hold it in place.

Lenny

Out riding today and again flying thu some washes and ruts when I heard a clunk. The second time I brought the Trooper to a quick stop. Couldn't find anyway so carefully drove it back to the house. After the Trooper had cooled, I put a jack under the rear lifting the wheels off the ground. Put the trans in gear and twisted the wheel back and forth. Then I saw it, the diff lifting up & down and clucking. The top wield broke away from the support. Boy did I feel relieved thinking I may have broken the diff. This is an easy fix and will be stronger when I am finished. Silver lining, it broke now and now at Moab.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 3 weeks later...
What do ya'll think about automatic in the trooper? Better or worse?

I personally like a auto as much as a stick. In a lot of cases, if you have enough horsepower, an auto is better. I have an auto in my Diesel Ram and love it, much easier to drive. IMHO, an auto is much more forgiving and will over come some lack of off-roading experience.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

• 1 month later...
Guest Lenny
I personally like a auto as much as a stick. In a lot of cases, if you have enough horsepower, an auto is better. I have an auto in my Diesel Ram and love it, much easier to drive. IMHO, an auto is much more forgiving and will over come some lack of off-roading experience.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

The autos they make nowdays are pretty nice. I had a 95 dodge diesel with an auto that I hated. It never shifted right. When pulling especially heavy pulling, it would always be in the wrong gear. I finally put a manual lockout switch on the dash which helped a lot. I now have a 06 Dodge diesel with 6 speed stick. I'm always in the right gear now. I really like it and it gets pretty much shiffted automatically without thinking so it's not really a bother shifting. I know the new autos are good, I needed a break from them and I get

15mpg pulling my 6000# fifthwheel.

Lenny

I know this is out of the area that most of you ride but I went to a ride in Athens, Tx a couple of weeks ago and out of 2000 people, I saw 3 Troopers. Some of you might think this number is low but I was surprised. I really didn't expect to see any. It's a good thing to see more people catching on to the greatness of the Trooper. As long as you prepare for the riding that you will be doing, this is a great vehicle to own and a blast to ride. For anyone in Texas who has questions about where to ride, here is the link. http://www.txmud.com/events.php

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lenny
Does any one know any thing about strain gauges, I'm thinking of using one on the steering shaft to interface with the electric power steering.

Thanks,

Kinarfi

I beleive that when you run a current through them and they bend or stretch their resistance changes. Put a torque handle on the shaft and pull it with x foot pounds of torque and set up a resistance change per torque change relationship. You should then be working with a voltage change. You should know how to take it from there.

Lenny

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a ride yesterday, broke something, no power to rear wheels, suspect differential. Here's a file for Google earth of where I went. May have damaged my power steering, I definitely needs end of travel stops or, as I am working on, a sensor for high current that opens the circuit until you release the wheel or turn it back the other way, and I think I have it. My aches and pains have subsided and now at about 4 the next day, it time to go look at my damages.

2503475500104282158IWwFGn_th.jpgFirst of 7, tried to get enough vehicle in the photo to show how steep things were, after I got off the hill, I kept hearing a squealing sound and after I got down to a place where it was convenient to see what was stuck up under my rig, NOTHING, I started out again and notice the front wheels spinning like the rears weren't helping, they weren't! but the squealing was gone, I did hear something just before I stopped and commented "that didn't sound good" to my wife.

Kinarfi

Went for a ride yesterday, broke something, no power to rear wheels, suspect differential. Here's a file for Google earth of where I went. May have damaged my power steering, I definitely needs end of travel stops or, as I am working on, a sensor for high current that opens the circuit until you release the wheel or turn it back the other way, and I think I have it. My aches and pains have subsided and now at about 4 the next day, it time to go look at my damages.

2503475500104282158IWwFGn_th.jpgFirst of 7, tried to get enough vehicle in the photo to show how steep things were, after I got off the hill, I kept hearing a squealing sound and after I got down to a place where it was convenient to see what was stuck up under my rig, NOTHING, I started out again and notice the front wheels spinning like the rears weren't helping, they weren't! but the squealing was gone, I did hear something just before I stopped and commented "that didn't sound good" to my wife.

Kinarfi

Check the driveline and see if it is still in position. When I sheared the output shaft the driveline dropped down because it lacked the support of the shaft. I was still able to drive/move but front wheels only. It is is, don't drive it too much. You could damage the case at the seal. Let us know!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Went for a ride yesterday, broke something, no power to rear wheels, suspect differential. Here's a file for Google earth of where I went. May have damaged my power steering, It definitely needs end of travel stops or, as I am working on, a sensor for high current that opens the circuit until you release the wheel or turn it back the other way, and I think I have it. My aches and pains have subsided and now at about 4 the next day, it time to go look at my damages.

Kinarfi

We were only about 4 miles from pavement and near good roads, but I don't walk so well so as little as a mile could be bad for me. Yay for carrying a SPOT.

Well I started to do my checking and disassembling and the first thing I noticed was an almost flat tire, AArrg 2719229030104282158FSLXRy_th.jpg Then I looked at my steering assist and it worked and looked OK, then I got into looking at the differential, with lots of trepidations about getting the CVs loose, turned out not too tough, the method I used was pry, rotate, pry, rotate, etc. and then POP, it was loose. Got the diff out and cleaned up a little and opened it up, All the bolt were sheared and worn badly on one side and the safety wires broken.2037019270104282158UbRvqX_th.jpg Doesn't look to expensive of repair, Left it in a pan to drain the oil overnight & will continue tomorrow. Any suggestions as what should be done next or just take it apart & put it back together.

Kinarfi