Travis

Cylinder Head Bolts

Hey, how important is it to buy new head bolts when rebuilding an engine? My brother who has rebuilt several big and small engines says it's important, some say it's an option, If you have the money, do it, If you don't, don't.

01 Kawasaki Mule 550 C5.

Over torqued bolts can stretch. The next step is to break. When they break, they're nearly impossible to extract. I doubt that You'll have any trouble, but it's your call. I personally, wouldn't worry about it. But I'd be very careful when tightening.

• Like 1

Thanks, Im thinking i'll go with new bolts cause all the new bolts are only like $17.00.

Still need to get that shim on the crankshaft, been REALLY busy lately so i might take to the machine shop and have them take the measurements...

Since there couldn't be much to it, taking that measurement. I would think, that they wouldn't mind measuring that for you. Since you've had them do some other work on this same engine. 

I'd suggest that you take it with you, and visit the shop. Talk to the guy that you talked to before, about the casting defect/crack. And ask how you'd go about measuring for that shim. Tell him what you don't understand about the procedure. Or that you don't have the tool, whatever. Maybe offer him ten bucks.

My guess would be that you'd just use a feeler gauge. Making sure that the crank is pulled forward, if it has any play, front to rear. But I've never dealt with that, and without seeing it in person, I can only guess.

• Like 1

Actually your supposed to use a Dial Gauge. And i have one, but i just don't understand the procedure. and i don't have time. I might take it thursday or friday...

Thanks!