Quantcast

Air Filter/Snorkle

Paiute3

Has anyone added a snorkle for their air filter? We noticed that our air filter was dirty really fast this summer. We actually didn't have the problem until the trails got so dry and dusty. So george has been talking about moving it up higher to keep it cleaner and help it breathe. Do you know if there is a kit that I can buy to surprise him? Yes I'm looking for Christmas and Birthday ideas (LOL). The man is hard to buy for because if he sees something he wants and needs he buys it before I even heard about it.

Cinda

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ribbed rubber tubing is not as much of a restriction as it might seem. If you think about car and truck intake tubes to the air filter from the front of the grill, they are usually ribbed or corrigated. In some cases air moves faster over a rough surfece than a smooth one. The surface tension on a smooth surface is much higher. Little eddies will form in the ribbs and act like ball bearings creating higher air velocity.

The biggest issue is getting it out from under the rear deck. There is entirely too much dirt being injested in the current location. In addition to that cooler air from outside the engin compartment will proved more Horsepower. A.

P.S. I highly recommend getting a K&N filter to replace the OEM filter. Whether you relocate the intake or not, the stock filter is marginal at best.

I have a windshield and still get lots of dust. I have cut 3" ff the top and 2" off the bottom. I still get some dust sucked into the cab I think the reason you don't rocmoc is you have the bottom of the dash off if I remember right. I think this would increase the air flow into the cab and eliminate the low pressure caused by the windshield. Does this sound reasonable?

4x4x454,

That is correct and I have also removed the back section of the center console behind the E-brake where the little screen is. This increased airflow to the engine & rad. I also cut-out large half circles in the front of the small triangle panel for access to the top of the rear shocks. I then placed 3 flat washers between the panel's front bolt and the mounting bracket. This was to turn them into airflow ears for the engine & rad. I also have my light bar down as a sun visor over the windshield. A lot of mods to change the airflow into the cab & engine areas. I took pics today and will try to get them up tomorrow.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I had some Shop Vac hose and tubes laying around and decided to try something and look what I did. I'm not too sure if I'm finished with it yet, but what I have will do the trick, if you want the filter above the bar, you'll need to use more of the hose or add another tube and maybe another support. My support is bungy cord, seen best in photo 20081020_7. I started the engine and revved it up a few times, but couldn't hear anything from the filter. I like it!!

2261773910104110397ZTItcW_th.jpg 2884155420104110397fCkKcQ_th.jpg

All my photos are at http://community.webshots.com/user/kinarfi :rolleyes:

I would recommend the VT2507 7' Hose and the VT2508 Extension Wand, stick the pliable end of the hose into the wand, mount filter on other end of the wand and cut the hose to length, it's easy to cut twice to get the length you need and very hard to uncut. :lol:

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/vacacc.phtml

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT2507.phtml HOPE These Links Work.

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT2508.phtml

Kinarfi you will have to let me know how it works when you go out riding.

Of course! You know I love posting information. Planning on a ride later this week. :rolleyes:

Also, I ordered a front wheel and plan to put 4 27 x 8.5 x 14 Grabber AT2 tire on, eventually. I only got 2500 kilometers on my far easts :(

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires...rabber-AT-2.htm

Maybe you'll have to do the vacuuming :lol: oh yea, be sure and clean the inside of the hose too. I put a bottle brush on the end of a 1/2" tube and spun it with my drill as I ran water through it. I would have preferred to buy the new wand and tube if had known it was gonna work so well. It's shinier and cleaner than my used stuff. ;)

Went to the dunes yesterday and then took off for Cherry Creek, had a good ride that had just about everything but water, my choice. My son drove and was a little more aggressive than I am, but that let me watch the snorkel, the scenery, the gps so we didn't miss any turns and take pictures. The snorkel worked as expected, PERFECT, took air in filtered air and passed it to the engine, didn't make enough noise to be heard, didn't slow me down.

I couldn't tell any difference at all, except for a clean filter at the end of a 139.9 km, 86.9 mi ride.

I really, really liked my modification and it worked great, mounting method included, I did scoot it down a bit and secured it at the hole with some lighter bungy cord and some padding to give the filter more clearence from the roll bar. The filter itself rattles a bit and needs to be siliconed around the rubber mount to the plastic base or maybe replaced with a K&N.

One thing my son & noticed, at 6000 rpm, 55.5 MPH (via the GPS), there seemed to be a REV limiter. Has any one else noticed this? We only hit it once and didn't try to hit it again.

I also added a few picture and a movie to my site, http://community.webshots.com/user/kinarfi

Went to the dunes yesterday and then took off for Cherry Creek, had a good ride that had just about everything but water, my choice. My son drove and was a little more aggressive than I am, but that let me watch the snorkel, the scenery, the gps so we didn't miss any turns and take pictures. The snorkel worked as expected, PERFECT, took air in filtered air and passed it to the engine, didn't make enough noise to be heard, didn't slow me down.

I couldn't tell any difference at all, except for a clean filter at the end of a 139.9 km, 86.9 mi ride.

I really, really liked my modification and it worked great, mounting method included, I did scoot it down a bit and secured it at the hole with some lighter bungy cord and some padding to give the filter more clearence from the roll bar. The filter itself rattles a bit and needs to be siliconed around the rubber mount to the plastic base or maybe replaced with a K&N.

One thing my son & noticed, at 6000 rpm, 55.5 MPH (via the GPS), there seemed to be a REV limiter. Has any one else noticed this? We only hit it once and didn't try to hit it again.

I also added a few picture and a movie to my site, http://community.webshots.com/user/kinarfi

Looks good Jeff. I'd weld brackets on for it & then your done.

Cheers Mike.

Kinarfi to limit the movement coming from this top heavy structure, I would weld a steel 3cm cross bar exactly where your bungee cord is and then bolt on a steel curved support the same radius as your extension wand onto the cross bar. You will still have movement where the hose & wand meet and if that's acceptable, that's all. However, if your happy with the bungee cord, why not just leave it like it is. This link shows how a No Limits Powersports mounted snorkel on a Commando. http://shop.nolimitspowersports.com/produc...mp;productId=35

Cheers Mike.

• 10 months later...

Silverbullet.

Yes the trooper has a rev limiter.

Has anyone added a snorkle for their air filter? We noticed that our air filter was dirty really fast this summer. We actually didn't have the problem until the trails got so dry and dusty. So george has been talking about moving it up higher to keep it cleaner and help it breathe. Do you know if there is a kit that I can buy to surprise him? Yes I'm looking for Christmas and Birthday ideas (LOL). The man is hard to buy for because if he sees something he wants and needs he buys it before I even heard about it.

Cinda

Silverbullet.

we sell kits for the trooper complete with K&N air filter.With filter 129. w/out filter 69.50

I have mine back down at the engine and it isn't collecting any more dirt then when it was above. However I have all the holes in the skid plates taped shut and I have a foam dam blocking air from going throgh the driveshaft tunnel. Before I blocked the dirty air sources, my filter got dirty much quicker. When it was on a snorkle, I also had my windshield on which made it get dirty faster. I now have removed the windsheild and will redesign it for the cold weather so it doesn't create a vacume behind it. So far, I'm not seeing any reason to move my filter back up high.

Lenny

I have mine back down at the engine and it isn't collecting any more dirt then when it was above. However I have all the holes in the skid plates taped shut and I have a foam dam blocking air from going throgh the driveshaft tunnel. Before I blocked the dirty air sources, my filter got dirty much quicker. When it was on a snorkle, I also had my windshield on which made it get dirty faster. I now have removed the windsheild and will redesign it for the cold weather so it doesn't create a vacume behind it. So far, I'm not seeing any reason to move my filter back up high.

Lenny

Silverbullet.

Hi lenny. We always want to get cold air in to the intake as much as possible it makes the motor happy.When you come up with the new windshield

idear i would like to see what designe you came up with.We are going to try a small curve in back of roof may be 1/2".

Greetings All, I built a snorkel for my T2 you may be interested in. I have the newer model with the filter box rather than the cone filter. The box and filter don't match very well and the stock filter is real junk. I am still working out the filter and fit but a little grease on the filter flange has stopped the dust from getting around the filter. As far as the snorkel goes, I enlarged the intake pipe to 3 inch, added a bilge blower and ran 3 inch flex induction tube to just under my roof. Made a 90 and put mesh over the opening to keep any big stuff from getting into the snorkel. The larger pipe allows for plenty air flow even when the blower is off. There is a subtle increase in performance with the blower on. Improved idle and better throttle response, along with the benefits of a snorkel. Have been in water up to the dash with no problems other than getting very wet myself and blowing my fan fuse. If anyone is interested I can share my pics and answer questions.

post-313-1253578809_thumb.jpg

post-313-1253578888_thumb.jpg

Silverbullet.

Hi lenny. We always want to get cold air in to the intake as much as possible it makes the motor happy.When you come up with the new windshield

idear i would like to see what designe you came up with.We are going to try a small curve in back of roof may be 1/2".

So far my motor temp has stayed OK. I do plan on coweling some fresh air from higher to the motor compartment to like you said, get cooler air. My new windshield design will be sort of a double motorcycle type probably connected at the lower part in the center. Each side will have its own curve around right to left like a motorcycle along with a rounded top and probably come up only 2/3 of the way to the top roll bar. Sort of like two motorcycle windshields with about a 6 to 8" gap in the center. Should look kind of cool. Kind of like an old open air sports car. The idea is to funnel the air individually around each person while creating a air flow stream through the center torwards the engine. I may try to use some type of air funnel inbetween the seats to catch that air and shove it down to the engine. I also want to make it fold so in the warm weather, I can get the air in my face which can be nice. Also, lets face it, vision is best without anything in front of you.

Lenny

Thanks Mike.

Maybe I just have a bum air box because I just cant get a good seal unless I use grease on the filter flange. I used the STP equivalent air filter (don't remember the part #). It did seam to have a better fit and is a little more stout. I think I am going to put a UNI prefilter on the snorkel intake as well and see how that works.

QUOTE (firmskid @ Sep 22 2009, 11:54 AM) *

I have the newer model with the filter box rather than the cone filter. The box and filter don't match very well and the stock filter is real junk. I am still working out the filter and fit but a little grease on the filter flange has stopped the dust from getting around the filter.......

http://www.utvboard.com/Parts-Pieces-Informat-t392.html If you have the new 09 filter box, w/ Fram # CA-7764.

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike.

Maybe I just have a bum air box because I just cant get a good seal unless I use grease on the filter flange. I used the STP equivalent air filter (don't remember the part #). It did seam to have a better fit and is a little more stout. I think I am going to put a UNI prefilter on the snorkel intake as well and see how that works.

Silverbullet.

Yes get ride of the box.Just use snorkel and the the uni air filter.