Quantcast

Air Filter/Snorkle

Paiute3

So far my motor temp has stayed OK. I do plan on coweling some fresh air from higher to the motor compartment to like you said, get cooler air. My new windshield design will be sort of a double motorcycle type probably connected at the lower part in the center. Each side will have its own curve around right to left like a motorcycle along with a rounded top and probably come up only 2/3 of the way to the top roll bar. Sort of like two motorcycle windshields with about a 6 to 8" gap in the center. Should look kind of cool. Kind of like an old open air sports car. The idea is to funnel the air individually around each person while creating a air flow stream through the center torwards the engine. I may try to use some type of air funnel inbetween the seats to catch that air and shove it down to the engine. I also want to make it fold so in the warm weather, I can get the air in my face which can be nice. Also, lets face it, vision is best without anything in front of you.

Lenny

Silverbullet.

We found that removeing the plastic cover and puting a metal mesh instead it ran much cooler.About 1/2 way up the gauge

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverbullet.

We found that removeing the plastic cover and puting a metal mesh instead it ran much cooler.About 1/2 way up the gauge

As far as running cooler, I have taken the plastic cover off the top of the engine. It doesn't keep dirt out or water but it does keep the heat in.

Lenny

Lenny, have you thought of openning the tunnel so air flows through it from the front, You would be getting clean air to the aircleaner and it would create positive preasure around the engine, the windshield will always have a low preasure behind it, the trick is to keep the dust from coming up from behind the car. On some of the old jeeps they had a curved brow at the rear roof line pushing air down at the back of the car. it must have worked because the rear window always looked halfway clean. Just a different thought.

Started cleaning my air filter and the way I usually do it is to roll it in gas to cut the oil, then wash it with dish soap and water, including a hose end sprayer, then blow the water out of it with the discharge from my shop vac, then dip it in gas that has filter oil in it and let it dry. Got to the blow the water out stage and noticed there were places with no filter element present. New K&N RC-4160 Air Filter: $48.99 +tx, will be at Autozone tomorrow.

Any body have any thing to say about this method? Is gas washing to harsh?

Thanks,

Kinarfi

Lenny, have you thought of openning the tunnel so air flows through it from the front, You would be getting clean air to the aircleaner and it would create positive preasure around the engine, the windshield will always have a low preasure behind it, the trick is to keep the dust from coming up from behind the car. On some of the old jeeps they had a curved brow at the rear roof line pushing air down at the back of the car. it must have worked because the rear window always looked halfway clean. Just a different thought.

Flatbed, you may be right. My thought is that when I turn, the wheel is churning a lot of dust right at the tunnel opening. I blocked it at the front with a piece of foam and the engine seemed to get less dirt. Haven't thought about the dust curling up behind the vehicle. When I do my new windsheild, It will have a pretty good space in between the two curved pieces of Lexan. Each piece will be sort of like a motorcycle windsheild. I'm thinking of having each windsheild so that you look over the top. The idea is that the air blows over your head and individually around each side of the driver and passenger. The curve in the windsheilds should direct a consentrated flow of air in between them, running between the seats and torwards the rear. It's my thought to try and come up with some sort of channeling to direct that air at the engine and intake. Once I get the windsheilds on, I'll know what sort of air flow I'm getting and will go from there. As an experment, I put a couple of ears to catch the wind on each side of the front roll bars vertical bars. It moved quite a lot of air directing it behind the full windsheild I had on before. Another thought would be to open up the drive shaft tunnel and duck it up to the hood and use a hood scoop. I'm still well into the thinking process on this and really don't know what I'll end up trying. If you have any thoughts that I might be missing, I would welcome your input or anyone elses also.

Lenny

Started cleaning my air filter and the way I usually do it is to roll it in gas to cut the oil, then wash it with dish soap and water, including a hose end sprayer, then blow the water out of it with the discharge from my shop vac, then dip it in gas that has filter oil in it and let it dry. Got to the blow the water out stage and noticed there were places with no filter element present. New K&N RC-4160 Air Filter: $48.99 +tx, will be at Autozone tomorrow.

Any body have any thing to say about this method? Is gas washing to harsh?

Thanks,

Kinarfi

I use simple green and have not had a problem.

Hi Lenny.We found a fan that will fix the over heating.It sells for $155.More cfm than stock

Thanks silverbullet, I have considered putting a larger CFM fan in. Just haven't researched it yet. I wlll keep you in mind. I'm not overheating yet, even in the hot summer but think I probably could when running my extra large paddle tires ( 13.50x15 front and 16.00x15 rear ) in the sand dunes especially with my supercharger.

Lenny

Well, I just finished putting my new K&N RC-4160 on. do you think it'll stay cleaner if I leave the cellophane on? It certainly should, considering I probably wouldn't go far that way. :lol::blink::rolleyes::P enough smileys

Kinarfi.

Leaving the plastic on is fine as long as you put one on your head too. That way the air filter will work as long as you need it too.

I would use an oiled foam prefilter too. I do and It catches the vast majority of the dirt saving the inner filter for the real fine stuff.

Lenny

Well, I just finished putting my new K&N RC-4160 on. do you think it'll stay cleaner if I leave the cellophane on? It certainly should, considering I probably wouldn't go far that way. :lol::blink::rolleyes::P enough smileys

Kinarfi.

silvrerbullet.

You should get the pre charger so you can clean it less often. Just take it off and shake it out .It keeps the big crap out and is silicone coated for water proofing.For sand uni filter is the only way to go.

silvrerbullet.

You should get the pre charger so you can clean it less often. Just take it off and shake it out .It keeps the big crap out and is silicone coated for water proofing.For sand uni filter is the only way to go.

I kept and washed the Joyner Prefilter and put that on to keep the larger stuff out like sand and such, it was fairly tight, but it fit. The RC-4160 is a tad narrower and a tad longer than the stock one. If I wasn't snorkel to get the filter up out of the dirt, I would have to think about putting the vacuum cleaner bag from my wife's vacuum on for the sand :) Actually, with a good cage, that might work pretty well, cut one end off and tyrap it to the intake after you put piece of rolled up chicken wire screen or something similar inside, Maybe even turn the bag inside out. Cheap, disposable, and probably real good, think about how fine the dust in the house is. <_<:blink: gotta quit thinking. it's starting hurt.

I kept and washed the Joyner Prefilter and put that on to keep the larger stuff out like sand and such, it was fairly tight, but it fit. The RC-4160 is a tad narrower and a tad longer than the stock one. If I wasn't snorkel to get the filter up out of the dirt, I would have to think about putting the vacuum cleaner bag from my wife's vacuum on for the sand :) Actually, with a good cage, that might work pretty well, cut one end off and tyrap it to the intake after you put piece of rolled up chicken wire screen or something similar inside, Maybe even turn the bag inside out. Cheap, disposable, and probably real good, think about how fine the dust in the house is. <_<:blink: gotta quit thinking. it's starting hurt.

Silverbullet.

girl.s stocking work to.With the charger it has a coating to keep out the water.

• 2 months later...

I got one of these made up today for a Commando which is feed into the existing intake. An enclosure is going over the top so no need for a Snorkel Hat. Once the cover is on, the hose will face the front to ram in cold air when the front screen is down. I'm in two minds about my Trooper, should I do the same as this set-up but with the pod filter on top or bend the hose around the back of my enclosure up to a wide Snorkel bolted on top of the canvas roof to the roll cage and then feed through a air box filter (like R2 and some T2s) and replace the pod filter. I like the thought of cold air injection but with all the rain and mud we can get here I'm not sure if a Snorkel Hat could cope. What do you reckon?

Cheers Mike.

post-85-1261041290_thumb.jpg

post-85-1261041309_thumb.jpg

I have an 09 T4 and was thinking of doing what you have done with the filter.My question is what did you do with the breather hose that goes from the valve cover to the current air filter box?

Thanks,

I had some Shop Vac hose and tubes laying around and decided to try something and look what I did. I'm not too sure if I'm finished with it yet, but what I have will do the trick, if you want the filter above the bar, you'll need to use more of the hose or add another tube and maybe another support. My support is bungy cord, seen best in photo 20081020_7. I started the engine and revved it up a few times, but couldn't hear anything from the filter. I like it!!

2261773910104110397ZTItcW_th.jpg 2884155420104110397fCkKcQ_th.jpg

All my photos are at http://community.webshots.com/user/kinarfi :rolleyes:

I would recommend the VT2507 7' Hose and the VT2508 Extension Wand, stick the pliable end of the hose into the wand, mount filter on other end of the wand and cut the hose to length, it's easy to cut twice to get the length you need and very hard to uncut. :lol:

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/vacacc.phtml

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT2507.phtml HOPE These Links Work.

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT2508.phtml

I have an 09 T4 and was thinking of doing what you have done with the filter.My question is what did you do with the breather hose that goes from the valve cover to the current air filter box?

Thanks,

My valve cover vent vent the a separator and vented through a filter to atmosphere and the oil drained to the pan. 2680519580104110397omcpWr_th.jpg, there was a smaller tube that went the the intake manifold,2421586830104110397QISDnu_th.jpg to draw of any pressure. My self, I would be leery of use aluminum dryer vent tubing, I think it will crack and break and mash in short order.

kinarfi

I would avoid using any corrugated tubing of any sort it just causes to much turbulence and creates a lack of power. think of a cold air intake you get for a pickup or car it eliminates the corrugated tube and has a smooth piece of pipe all the way to the throttle body. all I used was a 90 degree rubber elbow and a piece of straight pipe for the riser then put the filter on the end. $40

Kevin

Kinarfi.

Just ordered the same air cleaner online. Suppose to be here Monday! Thanks for doing some of the legwork.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

You're certainly welcome!!!!!