Quantcast

I have a 2006 2x4 Commando 650.

This past weekend I noticed a clunking type noise coming from the rear diff when turning sharp and more so when backing up in a turn. There does seem to be some side play. It is full of fluid. What should I look for before hunting season gets me stranded.

Are you driving around with your locker on all the time? This is especially tough in your machine if it's on pavement. Does it clunk when the locker is disengaged? How many miles on you machine? Can you tell how play? 1/8 th of a turn? Some play is normal. 

• Like 1

When I was stationed in Korea, some of their taxi cabs made clunking noises during a turn.  Failing CV joints will do that.  My VW bus did the same - failing CV joint.  At least check them before tearing down the diff.

• Like 1

Sillverbullet

In the 650 commando the rear is always locked.I would drain the   differential  and and see if any big metal in the fluid.It could be  a bad C/V axle.check  the fluid  Commando in differential.

Thank Uo

928 246 6819 get back to me.

Correct, Commando always locked. I do drive on pavement some from cabin to the BLM  land but take it very easy when turning. I will drain fluid and check the Diff fluid for metal. I completely forgot about the CV jt could be the culprit and a WHOLE lot cheaper if they are available for my machine.

silverbullet

please let me know if 4x4.It looks like 2  wheel drive differential in  transmission it is 2 wheel drive.Let me know if you need help .not at night or weekends.

Thanks Rich 928 344 2117

Thanks

2x4 Commando 2006, 650cc.  with maual dump bed.

Looks like my LR CV is dry. I've pulled these CV's out of the Class 1 cars we ran so should be about the same principal with these I think. If any one has a you tube vid on pulling CV out and rebuilding that would be awesome. There still feels like a 1/2" of play maybe in the dif gears. Is that to much. Are the rear CV's available?