Quantcast

Whisper Snowbird

2009 Joyner trooper starting problems

I have a no cranking issue with my joyner. It has a chery 1100. It will click but nothing after that.  New battery. I tried banging in the starter while holding key in start(old car trick). Now the  starter solenoid won't even clunk. Just hear s click fron the relay now.  My assumption is the starter needs replacing.  Any ideas of other things to check? Does anyone have diese block diagrams?  Got no clue what fuse or relay goes to what

Had a loose wire to my starter solenoid once also.

To test the starter, just short across the large terminals with a screwdriver. It’ll spark a bit, but if the starter is good, the engine will crank...use a old screwdriver.

a12a94e364d439611fd79d500832fd6a.jpg

No start relay, just a 12v switched wire from the key switch to the starter solenoid small terminal.

The solenoid (small round cylinder on the starter motor) is the starter relay.

Oh....and crossing the terminals....didn't make a difference. I kept hearing a solenoid on the fuse block click everytime I did it.

I stopped trying when I heard the buzz and got the tingleys in my fingers, followed by some involuntary vocal terrets attack like lamentations. My wife called it Vocal fireworks

Bad starter yes....I confirmed that after I took it out and had it tested. Now I have the new one. It wont energize. What voltage am I supposed to read at the connections key on and key in start position? Also how many ground wires are attached at bottom post of starter mounting bolt?

I remember modifying that starter circuit on my Joyner years ago.
Seems that the wiring from the key switch to the starter solenoid is not adequate to carry the current required to activate the solenoid, so I wired it to an external 12vdc relay that I placed near the starter. Next I ran wires from the battery which is close for the relay to supply voltage to starter solenoid.

Truth be told I hooked the wires up on the starter without bolting it tô the engine.  I thought I had a good enough ground.  Turns out I didn't. Starter is functioning correctly. Now it cranks but won't start. Have spark... and fuel