Quantcast

Rear Diff. blowup

latch73

While mine's apart, I've looked at a lot things in it and when I seat the ring gear in place, and turn the pinion gear, I do have some play and I can hear it slapping as I turn it back and forth.

I would look inside at my first chance.

And as far as I'm concerned, that little screw I mentioned earlier has as much potential to cause damage as the weak bolts.

kinarfi

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably backlash. You will need to shim the ring gear towards the pinion. Most cars are .0005-.0007. You'll have to check with Joyner for specs on you rear-end. If these are coming with way too much backlash, THAT could be causing the ring gear bolt problem.

Been working on my rear diff and finally put it together, hopefully for the last time ever. I'm really pleased with the final assembly, the pinion play is very small, and the end play on axle shafts is very small also, I took the two snap rings off the pinion (.055 each) and replaced it with one (.094) from 6 States Distributor, who services big trucks and drive lines, which was about 50% thicker than stock which left room for some shims between the pinion head and the bearing, that's what tightened the pinion play up. Used Lenny's bolts to secure the ring gear, they worked nice, I put shims on each axle output shaft and made sure the screw holding the spider shaft was tight. Now all I need is to fill it with oil and install. After tearing the new one apart, I recommend anyone who has the aptitude do the same. On the one I have ready to install, I used the large side of the new case, the old half that has the locker on it, the old spider and ring and the new pinion and housing after shimming it. After much consideration, I have decided that the old housing with the missing little piece above the pinion bearing is still usable as is, the force on it is back toward the heavy metal area. Every thing else has been looked at and worked on and shimmed, so I should end up with an extra diff. We'll see after I do the front diff.

2697721350104282158IBUdoA_th.jpg 2166255040104282158ctNgGj_th.jpg

Kinarfi

Guest Lenny
I sure hope Lenny comes through with his kit. We all really appreciate you taking the time to make other riders lifes easier and head-ache free! And at almost cost of the parts, I highly respect you.. now just hurry up! :P

The Kits are comming. already have suff ordered. I need to do mine first so I can do lots of pics and detailed instructions. Won't be long now.

Lenny

Guest Lenny

Dismantled my brand new rear diff just to find the same problem. I installed my new diff kit which addresses stronger bolts, bolt loosening security, clearance shimming and pinion to ring gear alignment. Real happy with how it came out. Ran it hard this weekend and it felt solid, not so much slop in it. Today I pulled my front diff to check it out. Same problem, loose bolts that were ready to shear, (see pic below) even more so then the old rear diff bolts were. It also showed no signs of anyone ever trying to set it up for proper clearance or gear relationship. I have all the shims and new metric grade 12.9 bolts to put together the diff upgrade kits. All I'm waiting on now is to upgrade my front diff with the kit to see if anything varies from the rear. I'll be doing this tomorrow. I've taken lots of pics and yet need to do the instruction write-up and the kits will be ready. I'll post when anyone interested can order. It shouldn't be a week or so. It's my number one priority at this point.

This is one of the bolts I just took out of my front diff. Look at the head of the bolt flaired out from all the wallowing around. Makes me nerves to think, yesterday I was 20+ miles in from the truck with not a sole around.

2380603800104282158FBfkkF_th.jpg

Guest Lenny
Lenny ,how long did it take you to r&r diff and make update repairs ? Iam pondering wether to bring the trooper

home from the cabin and make repairs now or wait till fall I only have 250km and baby it

I would allow about 1.5 hours to remove a diff and about the same to put it back in. T he update takes about 4-5 hours per diff. This is taking your time and being patient to get it right, So you are looking at about a day per diff but you will feel good about it when done.

Lenny

I would allow about 1.5 hours to remove a diff and about the same to put it back in. T he update takes about 4-5 hours per diff. This is taking your time and being patient to get it right, So you are looking at about a day per diff but you will feel good about it when done.

Lenny

LOL! I don't feel good until I am playing. Work, I don't need no stinkin work!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico/Idaho

Guest Lenny
LOL! I don't feel good until I am playing. Work, I don't need no stinkin work!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico/Idaho

Shoot Rocmoc, a man of your caliber, you'll blow through this in half th time. Plus the instructions will be longer then what you will require.

Lenny