Quantcast

1st Annual Joyner Trooper Spring Rally @ El Golfo, Mexico

rocmoc

First Attempted!

Looking at March 20th - 22nd. staying at The El Capitan. Below is a link for info regarding The El Capitan.

http://www.elgolfo.net/wst_page6.html

AC will not be required but it can get cool during the night, being blankets or a heater. We have the ability to provide some very basic electrical power from our Toyhauler to a few people when the generator is running.

We would arrive the 18th as the distance for us justifies a little longer stay. This is the first attempted so please provide feedback. A Trooper is desired but not mandatory!

A few more links -

http://www.visitelgolfo.com/?hop=swg8open

http://www.coloradoriveradventures.com/cra...ts_elgolfo.html

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

First Attempted!

Looking at March 20th - 22nd. staying at The El Capitan. Below is a link for info regarding The El Capitan.

http://www.elgolfo.net/wst_page6.html

AC will not be required but it can get cool during the night, being blankets or a heater. We have the ability to provide some very basic electrical power from our Toyhauler to a few people when the generator is running.

We would arrive the 18th as the distance for us justifies a little longer stay. This is the first attempted so please provide feedback. A Trooper is desired but not mandatory!

A few more links -

http://www.visitelgolfo.com/?hop=swg8open

http://www.coloradoriveradventures.com/cra...ts_elgolfo.html

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Is there somewhere to stay besides the RV Park?

Cinda

Yes, there is even more primitive campgrounds and beach camping. What is important is that we are somewhat close to each other to minimize the chance of anything missing if we are out riding. A lone RV/Camper in Mexico has a higher chance of something coming up missing at the end of the day. Did I say that PC enough? You also have to beware of soft sand.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I was thinking more of a hotel or a B&B. George has a couple of questions (1) is the fuel good quality

(2) is the riding dunes or trails? We have the motorhome but we haven't towed the trailer with it yet.

How do you make reservations for the RV Park if we decide to go? Do they have WiFi available or how is the cell service?

Thanks,

Cinda

I have a buddy on another board that goes down all the time. I will ask him about hotel, I know there is not any B&Bs.

Fuel quality is USA. We travel Mexico a lot and down a 1,000 miles. Have not heard of anyone with a fuel problem. That was a long time ago when the fuel was dirty or had water.

Riding is mostly sand. Dunes up from the beach, packed along the beach, but some trails in places. The sand runs from the light blow sand to the hard heavy stuff.

Should be WiFi. We find more WiFi available in Mexico than we do in USA. I will ask my buddy about Cell Phone & WiFi. We always turn ours off when we cross the border.

Towing is pretty easy with a Motorhome. You already make wide turns so backing is the big problem.

We will try to coordinate a meeting just inside Mexico Thurs or Fri so people can follow a leader to El Golfo.

A biggie is the requirement of Mexico Insurance. I like Lewis & Lewis.

http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/

El Golfo is more like Glames was 30-40 years ago when I first played out there.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

This is the info my friend sent me via email.

"There are maybe a dozen hotels in El Golfo, most are between 4 & 12 rooms, none above one star. A couple of old #'s I have are:

Las Conchas 011 52 653-515-7001 or 653-515-7002 We stayed here once, beachfront with a good restaurant on site. Clean, was about $45. Ask for Ramon,the owner.

Hotel Mar de Cortez 011 52 653-515-7170 Cell 044-653-849-6751

Small two story, 12-15 rooms, I think they have a small pool.

Unless your there on a holiday weekend, reservations are not necessary. Most are cash only, not an ATM within 50 miles.

As to WIFI, the only place I know to have access is in the CRA (Colorado River Adventures) RV Park. It is a private RV Park but the people are super friendly, the snowbirds are starting to roll in so it should be about 1/2 full. Ask for David, he is the activities director. I am sure he can direct you as to how to obtain WIFI access.

Other people good for local advice are either Pat or Pulpo next door @ Pulpo & Patties Bar.

Or Tere & Alex @ El Capitan Bar."

Hope this helps!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I would definetely like to go, it will be 4 years since I have gone.

I agree just camp together and it is a big help. Last time we took 4 trucks and quads and stayed for 3 days no problems.

I will be camping under the stars, last time I slept in the bed of truck it was great. I guess this time it will be in a tent.

I can also bring a small generator, and lights for night time.

I would definetely like to go, it will be 4 years since I have gone.

I agree just camp together and it is a big help. Last time we took 4 trucks and quads and stayed for 3 days no problems.

I will be camping under the stars, last time I slept in the bed of truck it was great. I guess this time it will be in a tent.

I can also bring a small generator, and lights for night time.

Is it safe sleeping in a tent? We've had so many problems with the motorhome this year I'm not sure George wants to take it. I'm all for tent camping an adventure! I'm sure that there are places to buy ice and a shower room at the RV Park. Are there snakes?

We will be staying at The El Capitan in a Toyhauler Trailer. A Tent is great as long as we are all in the same general area. We also can provide some electric for evening use and morning coffee from the Toyhauler Generator. Snakes are rarely where people & toys are. Yes to ice & we can always throw buckets of water at you down at the beach after you soap up.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

We can definitely use the Toyhauler as a backup if a suitable, clean & good hotel room can not be found. I can't imagine the garage area of the trailer is cleaner or better than a local hotel room. I would not find it my first choice. Our bedroom in the Toyhauler is separated by a door. This is not the type of Toyhauler where the garage is part of the living area. We try to keep the garage clean but it does have a rubber floor with three rolls of E-track. Bring an air mattress or padding just in case as the floor is not flat with the E-track and blankets as there is not any heat in the garage.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

We can definitely use the Toyhauler as a backup if a suitable, clean & good hotel room can not be found. I can't imagine the garage area of the trailer is cleaner or better than a local hotel room. I would not find it my first choice. Our bedroom in the Toyhauler is separated by a door. This is not the type of Toyhauler where the garage is part of the living area. We try to keep the garage clean but it does have a rubber floor with three rolls of E-track. Bring an air mattress or padding just in case as the floor is not flat with the E-track and blankets as there is not any heat in the garage.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Thanks Rocmoc I'm sorry what I should have said is that we could sleep in our trailer, its not a toy hauler but a 29 foot enclosed trailer that we haul our toys in. I'll make a reservation for a RV spot Do the RV spots have hook-ups for power? We're looking forward to seeing everyone!

LOL, that funny.

El Capitan has always been 1st come 1 serve, no reservations. We will arrive Wed afternoon and tie-up the spots we will need. There normally not a problem except on a holiday getting rv sites or rooms. I don't think there is power but we have our gen and Detbonica's gen. We should be good for basic services, no AC. Coffee, lights, TV & Satellite will be fine. El Capitan has water, bathrooms & Showers. We will have enough drinking water for everyone if it becomes an issue.

Sounds like we are up to 5 for sures!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

I envy you all so much but I don't think there is any way to swing it. It sounds like a great time and would be awesome to met you all. I hope this starts to be an annual event hopefully some day we could make the trip. Our truck is not up to a 4000 mile trip and it would have to be close to that round trip.

I envy you all so much but I don't think there is any way to swing it. It sounds like a great time and would be awesome to met you all. I hope this starts to be an annual event hopefully some day we could make the trip. Our truck is not up to a 4000 mile trip and it would have to be close to that round trip.

If you want to fly into Vegas we have a mega cab with lots of room and we're happy to share the T4!

Cinda

• 2 months later...

There were only 5 Troopers indicating interest including our Trooper in meeting at El Golfo. Two have dropped out and a third has concerns about going to Mexico because of the current problems in Mexico. We now have a work conflict so we also are pulling out. El Golfo is DEAD! Sorry another time.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

There were only 5 Troopers indicating interest including our Trooper in meeting at El Golfo. Two have dropped out and a third has concerns about going to Mexico because of the current problems in Mexico. We now have a work conflict so we also are pulling out. El Golfo is DEAD! Sorry another time.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

How about a get together in Utah this summer?

Cinda