Quantcast

Rasken

Connecting rod installation

Hi.

I have changed pistons in my engine now and is done, head is on place and everything.

BUT now i saw in the joyner service manual that it was important that the connecting rods was installed "the right way" (D. When installing piston and connecting rod assembly into cylinders. The marked surfaces of the
connecting rod and piston must face the front of engine (fig.3-10).)

The pistons is correctly installed but when i installed the connecting rods i couldnt see any difference from side to side so i just put them back in and now one of them is "rotated" 180 degree if i looked at the texts on them.

So, does it matter? Is the manual a little bit "universal" or it is important? Has it to do with some oil lubrication? The only thing i noticed when i intstalled them was the bearing shell that has to be put back right so the notch goes in to the groove.

Anyone has any good answear to this?

/Jonas

...i dissamble everything again tomorrow and start over because i need to fix one of the threads to the top anyway.

I think the rods need to be faced with the correct side to the "front" because of the lubrication. There is a a little groove on the "front/right" side of the counterweights (beside the rod) where i think the oil goes through and then lubricate the bearing shell via the rod. There is certainly a little track or something on the rod side that line up with the groove on the counterweight.

If no one know for sure, i will let you now after dissamble everything...again...

...i dissamble everything again tomorrow and start over because i need to fix one of the threads to the top anyway.
I think the rods need to be faced with the correct side to the "front" because of the lubrication. There is a a little groove on the "front/right" side of the counterweights (beside the rod) where i think the oil goes through and then lubricate the bearing shell via the rod. There is certainly a little track or something on the rod side that line up with the groove on the counterweight.
If no one know for sure, i will let you now after dissamble everything...again...
Remember 1 time use bolts!!!
I rebuilt mine and got less than 100km until vibrating started

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Remember 1 time use bolts!!!
I rebuilt mine and got less than 100km until vibrating started

Tried to reuse rod bolts

Great, yes i change them to. So another question that we discussed at work was, Which side of the engine that is told as "front"?

I have learned that if the piston has an arrow it will always point at flywheel, and if the arrow goes other way (up/down) it will always point at exhaust.

But in the manual it says that piston and rod shall be faced at the same way, to the front. And the one at my job says that front of an engine is where all the belts is, not the flywheel side. So now im confused.  Any ides?

Shall the piston and rods point at flywheel or the other end?

I did toward front , or crank pulley not flywheel
How are your diffs?
Thinking of welding mine solid

Okay, my english is not the best, so what you mean is that flywheel side of the motor is back and the side where you put the alternator, belts and so on is the front?

My diffs are original, so far. This orginal motor that i fix now is only for inspection, then i have a ported and tuned zx1000r engine with a skyline diff that i will put in. But cant do it before the swedish inspection company has get me green light for two more years 🙂 We have to check those machine every two year so everything is okay, and changing the orginal engine is not okay, so stupid. 215 bhp is better in my ears than those 20-25 🙂 

• Like 1

I just want to say that everything works perfect...after the second rebuild 😛 I did change the piston so the arrow points to the right (water pump side) and the connecting rods marks points to the correct side. I had some problems with the distruberator but now it works. Thanks again for all the help, its realy great with this kinds of forum. 

IMG_20190825_143934.jpg

• Like 1