Quantcast

OlEd

Hisun 500 engine thermostat

Hisun 500 having overheating problem after water pump install. Should  engine have a thermostat ? Has a thermostat housing but no stat, parts diagram showed it doesn’t. If it does where would I get one if Hisun doesn’t offer?

I don't see how a thermostat missing would cause overheating. The thermostat is used to get the motor to heat up to operating temp, so you can run a heater, etc. Lack of a thermostat would cause it to run too cool. 

I'd look for other problems, like the water pump impeller running backwards. It has to push water in a certain direction, or it doesn't work right. I had a jeep that had this problem. The parts house gave me one to fit a serpentine belt. Which went underneath the bottom side of the pulley. Turning it the opposite direction.

Or an air bubble in the system. Today's cooling systems have to be "burped" sometimes. Especially foreign cars.

• Like 1

I understand operation of thermostat. The question I was asking was why do you call it thermostat housing if one is not there from factory.  Impeller is going the way the engine is turning, no belts. Have bleed air, it just won’t move water to radiator to cool by fan which is controlled by temp which water not moving to radiator will not activate fan. Ordering a new water pump which I see nothing wrong with this one. It is one of very few parts that can be ordered. 

The engine block casting process is pretty standardised, and would need to have some sort of piece to attach the coolant hose. So they used a typical thermostat housing. That way they don't have to engineer a hose nipple. Then pay to have it manufactured, which would only increase costs. The thermostat housing can be easily sourced. And it's common in any manufacturing industry to source common, non- propietary parts from elsewhere, and not manufacturing in- house. So it's natural to call it what it is, even though it doesn't actually contain a thermostat. That would be my guess.

I'm sure that you could put one in there if it has the relief cut around the rim. So that the thermostat would properly seat, & seal. Although that wouldn't help your overheating problem. My guess would still be a water pump problem, or air in the system. Of course, not examining it personally, I can't totally rule out a blockage in the system, a clogged radiator or internally collapsed hose or something. But that seems extremely unlikely, and I trust that you've eliminated those possibilities.

• Thanks 1

I understand operation of thermostat. The question I was asking was why do you call it thermostat housing if one is not there from factory.  Impeller is going the way the engine is turning, no belts. Have bleed air, it just won’t move water to radiator to cool by fan which is controlled by temp which water not moving to radiator will not activate fan. Ordering a new water pump which I see nothing wrong with this one. It is one of very few parts that  is available. This pump was put on by someone else and leaked oil and water. I pulled and found no gaskets orings. New orings installed, back flushed radiator also visually seen propeller turn with water pushing through. How’re ever I did notice impeller would move in and out like it was spring loaded.  It must be springing out and gear no connecting pump shaft is only thing i can determine.  How many degrees is hot? Curious cause can open bleeder on thermostat housing and it streams out. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By ArrowLobber
      I'm new to this forum. I recently picked up a Hisun "Coleman" Trail Tamer 800 that was ran way too hard. Trying to learn as much as I can about Hisuns. I have done a complete engine rebuild, replaced the crank, con rods, pistons, rings, head gaskets, base gaskets. cam chains, U joints, front a-arms, replaced all rear pads, repacked trailing arm bearings. Replaced the rear diff with a used one, have a rebuild kit in the cabinet. Put it all together, no spark. Somehow got spark and fuel and it started and purred like a kitten. Pulled the exhaust off to replace the gaskets, replaced the battery and starting relay switch. Turns over but no spark and no fuel again. Have taken apart almost every connection and added grease, still nothing. So jumped on this forum to try and apply any learnings from here to my project. I'm about to pull all of my hair out and Ima already going bald. Any help and input is GREATLY appreciated.
      Arrow Lobber
    • By Tom Rosecke
      So i have a 2018 Hisun Sector 750 Crew and while driving the noise level is outrageous.  I want to find a way to decrease the decibel level, so does anyone have any ideas!!! i was thinking about installing foam on the roof enclosure and possibly putting something around the engine bay area.  I have not found any companies that makes a suppressor for the muffler...Any help would be appreciated.  thank you
    • By ArrowLobber
      I'm new to this forum. I recently picked up a Hisun "Coleman" Trail Tamer 800 atv that was ran way too hard. I know this is a SXS forum but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about Hisuns and there is very little out there about the ATV's. I have done a complete engine rebuild, replaced the crank, con rods, pistons, rings, head gaskets, base gaskets. cam chains, U joints, front a-arms, replaced all rear pads, repacked trailing arm bearings. Replaced the rear diff with a used one, have a rebuild kit in the cabinet. Put it all together, no spark. Somehow got spark and fuel and it started and purred like a kitten. Pulled the exhaust off to replace the gaskets, replaced the battery and starting relay switch. Turns over but no spark and no fuel again. Have taken apart almost every connection and added grease, still nothing. So jumped on this forum to try and apply any learnings from here to my project. I'm about to pull all of my hair out and Ima already going bald. Any help and input is GREATLY appreciated.

2014 Coleman "Hisun" Trail Tamer 800
    • By CYJSP2009
      Hi All, 
      Joyner 650 commando rear differentail and its parts are avaialbe now. 
      Qty is limited. Any one who is in need please contact [email protected] 
      Thanks 

• By Mikey
      Just bought a well used 2500 with 6,800 hours on the clock. Guy said it had a bad engine but it did run and drive when I tested it and it billowed white smoke. I found oil in the water and a disconnected fan switch. A compression test yielded 160 psi in one cylinder and 240 psi in the other. I put 15 psi in the cooling system and it dropped to zero in 30 seconds.  I removed the spark plugs and put 100 psi of air into each spark plug hole and coolant few out of the uncapped radiator. So I figured I had two bad head gaskets.
      I took the heads of the engine and found two bad head gaskets. Cleaned them up, checked for cracks, found none and reassembled with new genuine Kawasaki head gaskets.  Started engine and it ran well but smoked constantly at idle and at full throttle. Comprression test now yielded 240 psi and 245 psi which is higher than I have ever seen in any gasoline engine I have ever tested. I put 100 psi into each spark plug hole and no water or air bubbled out of the open radiator cap. When I put 15 psi into the cooling system it held pressure. Also fixed the fan switch connection and installed a digital temperature guage so I know exactly what temperature the engine is seeing and that the thermostat and cooling system is functioning properly.
      The engine smokes like it is worn out and needs overbored but with those great compression numbers it is had to believe. I am ready to pull the engine and tear it down but thought I would post to this forum before I did.
      This is my first Mule. I only paid $800 for it and might decide to just part it out depending what I find inside the engine. Brakes are good, trans works fine and there is almost no rust anywhere.
      Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks, Mike