Quantcast

Travis

Not wanting to idle

My ol mule is acting up suddenly. It doesn't want to idle, it revs prefect just not idle. It eventually dies. I'm thinking something in The idle passage is plugged. Any other suggestions are appreciated that I may have over looked.

Brand new Wix fuel filter. That carb has been on for 19 years and never cleaned. Just b12 chemtool in the tank. I may hook up an auxiliary tank and see if it's fuel lines. But probably not since it revs fine.

Great job!  I've used Sea Foam in the gas tank, let it run for an hour or so, cleans the garbage out. I've heard of mechanics doing this and then charging for tuneups.

I just read on another forum about someone having the same issue with a chain saw. It would run great but not idle. Turned out it was the spark plug. Something failed internally. 

Could be, I put a new Champion plug in about 6 weeks ago. 

And it started all the sudden,  it ran fine that morning and went to go start it later and it wouldn't idle.

But it idles good at 3/4 choked.

Couple things, if the new spark plug was a different heat range, it would affect the idle characteristics.  Second, the idle air screw having trash or corrosion will do this. 

For those that don't understand carburetor fundamentals, the carb runs off the idle air screw from idle to about 2500 rpms.  From about 2500 to 3500rpms, it's a combination of idle air and main jet fueling.  After 3500 rpms it's all main jet fueling.  So, hopefully that helps some folks narrow down their carburetor troubleshooting.  

For example, idles fine but boggs down at higher rpms, you have main jet issues (the big one that pokes up through the middle of the carb).  Bad idle but runs with open throttle, idle air issues (usually a screw or smaller needle type, may be under a thin tin cap that you drill or pry out (EPA thing), up in the front of the carb). 

• Like 1

Okay, weird thing. 

Go out and fire up the mule, it idles PERFECT. I drove it around for about 10 minutes. Then let it idle for several minutes. Drive it around some more. Then let it idle, idles perfect.

I guess the b12 chemtool I put in it worked it's magic...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mikey
      I would like to install a water to air cab heater in my 2500 but cannot see how to tap into the cooling system so the heater will have flow from the engine water pump except when the thermostat is open. Does anybody know if the factory heater has some kind of thermostat adapter that lets hot water circulate through the engine and the cab heater core before the thermostat opens?  Unless I can solve this water flow problem it seem pointless to install a cab heater if it will just have intermittent water flow when the thermostat is open.
      I did buy a $66 Mr. Heater MH4GC Golf Cart Propane Heater on Amazon but it is really hard to find a place to install it that will be convenient when two or especially three people are in the seat. Decided it was too much a fire hazard because it would be too close to the riders and if there was a gasoline leak it would likely ignite the fumes.  Also it didn't really put out much heat. So I returned it.
      The only other idea I had was doing something with an exhaust heat air to air system like the Volkswagon Bugs were in the 60's but this has many challenges too.
      If I could just figure out a suitable water flow path I would be good to go. I do know where there is a Mule 2500 with a factory heater but I won't be back that way to see it 650 miles away until next summer. If anybody has one and could post some photos of the heater water connections to the engine, that would be wonderful.
      Many thanks, Mike
    • By ChrisL
      I recently obtained a 1999 Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4. While working on, I noticed the rear hub brake grease/dust seals were not there. I ordered and received but have no idea of the installation orientation. Has anyone tackled this or have a sketch/ picture that could help?
    • By Scott Meszaros
      good morning, new to this site...got a question......i have a 2015 kaw mule with the soft top enclosure........doors with zipper windows, plastic windshield.........i want to tow the thing on a trailer up to our cabin, about 340 miles of mostly interstate driving......the instructions for the top say "remove for towing or use enclosed trailer"..........removing would be a pain, and i don't have an enclosed trailer..............anyone have another solution?.........how much will it screw it up if i tow as is?.....should i put a plastic tarp over the thing and secure the tarp to the trailer?......any suggestions would be helpful.....thank you in advance
    • By Travis
      The cables are sort of seized up on the emergency brake, they still work but i have to wiggle and pull on em to get them to release, i pulled the drum off but cant see a way to remove the cable. It is kind of dirty inside the drum where it was leaking so i need to run to the parts store and buy some parts cleaner so i can see everything better.
       The shop manual i have  does not cover parking brake cable removal, well.... it does kind of. it says "Remove parking brake cable at both ends" 🙄
       We'll see
       EDIT: ARRR! Looks like my rear axle seal is leaking, there is a small puddle on a machined step below the seal and it smells like Trans oil. felt around the wheel cylinder and it isn't coming from their.....  I guess my weekend is planned for me LOL
    • By Mikey
      My master cylinder is leaking from the rod that goes to brake pedal. I had planed on replacing it with a new one as I had routinely seen them on eBay for $109 but now that I need one the cheapest used cykinder is $134. Does anybody know where I might find a seal kit for the cylinder?  Are all Mule cylinder's 11/16" diameter?