Quantcast

Shad

1999 Kawasaki mule 550 rear brake drum issue

Hey y'all, just finished replacing my rear right axle on my 99 mule 550. The old one teeth rounded out where the brake drum grabs it.  But now i can't get the drum to seat on the new axle far enough,  yes i put axles side by side,  identical,  i can reverse the drum and it slides right on the axle so i know it goes on fine.  It's a really bad design anyways with such a tiny line of teeth to rely on to drive the wheel.  Does anyone know if the new brake drums have deeper teeth to grab more of the axle?? Or any ideas why im having a hard time with this damn thing? 

Teeth  in the drum look good?

Are your brake pads interfering with it?

To the bottom left of the wheel cylinder, is a little metal tab with grooves cut in it,get a flat head screw driver and pry that in  and it should give your brake pads extra clearance.

• Like 1

DSC_9084.thumb.JPG.94235e19a3b729cf8f02faa9b9cdcd1d.JPG

Here's an old pic, that piece of metal below the cylinder, stick a flat head screwdriver in where it meets the other piece, it will have grooves cut in it,

Stick your flathead in their and push the handle to the left, that will pull the 

Brakes in and give more clearance

The back plate of the hub brake drum will interfere also if its bent out of alignment.  I had to adjust mine after some repairs with a mallet.

• Like 2

Ok, so not the teeth,  as i said i can turn the drum around and it slides right on. Not brakes I've double checked that as well as removed three brakes to see if it would go on.  I've beat three back plate with a mini sledge a few times as well.  Maybe i need to do more. 

Had anyone replaced the drums though? Haved they changed the design so instead of a row of teeth smaller than corn kernels the teeth go back in the shaft further??

If they changed the design most likely they would have changed the part number too, I didn't see any surpercession in the parts list.

So i messed with it a little more. If i crank down on the hub nut the teeth grab but barely, that's what led to me changing the axle out too start with,  the splines on the axle rounded over.  I just can't believe there's 2 inches of spline on the axle and not even 1/4" of teeth on the drum.  

Wait, are you saying there at barely any teeth in your drum?

Yes,  literally they is maybe a 1/4" of teeth at the very end of the drum where it slides onto the axle,  the rest of the "sleeve" where it slides over the axle is completely smooth.  That's why i was asking if the new drums have more teeth on them.  

Happy thanksgiving everyone!!

• Like 1

Okay, my 550 is a 2001. It has teeth all the way through the drum.

So apparently the drum is supposed to have teeth all the way thru as well..... Guess it's a good thing i changed it out, works like New again!!

• Like 1