Quantcast

Hisun strike 250 transmission

Hi, I've just acquired a used strike 250, 2015 model, I've noticed in low range it sounds like something is catching/rubbing it's not a constant noise more like something catching on a rotation however it's fine in high range, has anyone else encountered this issue and is it an easy ish fix?

Thanks

David

Keeping safety in mind. I'd put it up on jack stands, then crawl underneath and try to pinpoint the noise. Try it while it's not running first. It'll be easier to find the noise. If that doesn't work, then try it again while it's running. 

If it's in the transmission, it could be a pin, or something similar striking the side of the case, with every rotation. Probably an easy fix. But getting to it would be the hard part.

It might be something altogether different. But getting it up in the air would be where I'd start.

Sounds like it internal, it only does it in low range it's fine in high range and reverse, there isn't much to look at in the parts diagram of the transmission but I'm guessing possibly a bent lay shaft maybe from being forced into low range from high whilst still moving, looks like engine out and a gearbox rebuild 🙈

Thanks again for your help

David

Sorry to hear that, we were hoping for a simple fix. Hopefully there's parts available for your model. Being a 2015, you should be okay. 

I hope you'll consider documenting this process. Then sharing it with us, along with a few pictures. Aside from the obvious entertainment value. It also helps to create permanent, searchable data for others who face that same situation in the future.

Just think about how helpful your own search would've been. If you'd have found the cause, and the fix, already documented!

If you run into problems along the way. We'll be here to try to help any way we can. Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm afraid it will be some time in the distant future before I get around to this but when I do I will post as much as possible about it, back to the 4 zinger for the kids till then😊 although my 11 year old has informed me now she can drive she wants a range rover for her 17th birthday🤦😁

I fully understand that sometimes there's other priorities. No project needs to be hurried anyway.  Most of yours will be time spent in labor. 

If you decide to proceed, and just do it a little at a time. Please remember that its  very  easy to forget what went where. So label as much as possible, and put the bolts back in their holes wherever possible. Trust me, I've btdt, and this lesson was learned the hard way. 

On the bright side; at least your 11 year old gave you six years to save up! If your financial situation is anything like most. Then it'll take most of that lol. Maybe you could interest her in a nice jeep instead?

Thanks, there doesn't appear to be that much in the gearbox regarding parts so I'll contact the dealers tomorrow and find  out how much for all of it and availability, if it's not rediculessly  expensive I'll order it and replace it all at the same time, as you say the time is in getting the engine out, I just hadn't planned on having to do a major strip down so soon, my own fault I didn't drive the buggy the seller drove it around I stood and watched and you can only hear the noise while you're sat in it

Sounds like one of those things that you learn the hard way. But on the bright side, it's learned now. When I'm doing a test drive, I usually drive it like I stole it. So I know its limitations, and what it's capable of. 

I'll bet there's a few parts that are pressed on, in that assembly. Since you've got time, you might want to find out exactly what you're dealing with, before you start. It probably isn't anything that will actually require a total rebuild. 

My guess would be a keeper, or pin of some sort has come loose. That's the most common source of this type of internal noise. Although it could just as easily be a bearing. You might need a good automotive machine shop to complete the work. So it'd be good to know this beforehand. So you can price out the machine work between the machine shop, or the dealership mechanic. And to also determine if the machine shop can accept these tiny parts.

I think you'll find that hardened gears are price prohibitive, and best reused. And are likely undamaged in the slightest. You'll need bearings, and seals though. As well as the damaged part of course. But I don't think that I'd pre purchase the whole thing just yet.

That money would probably better spent on new belts, hoses, and filters.

This is the only schematic I can find and it strangely only shows one needle bearing nothing in the side cases! The idea of buying everything is purely because of the time it takes to get the parts once the engine is out and stripped I would like to have it back together and back in as quickly as possible before my memory of taking it apart stars to fail 😊

Screenshot_20200607-203258.png

Thanks Travis, I've spent the last few hours looking at all the schematics available about the strike to work out the easiest way to remove the engine without doing a major strip down, I think I have worked it out and I have a  few days spare this week to pull it out, I agree with kenfain completely it would be a waste of money buying everything for the sake of something small but my fear is that once it's out and stripped I could be waiting week's for the parts, when you look at the position of these engines it's quite daunting to imagine having to remove one 🙈

26 minutes ago, Travis said:

I would open it up, TAKE GOOD PICTURES, heck, even a short video of everything, if it turns out to be what kenfain said, a pin, or keeper, $5-10 fix possibly.

Order a new one if you want, install it,, off you go.

I base  my opinion on the fact that everything is otherwise working properly. With only a little internal noise. I just can't see it being anything serious. Left alone for awhile though, and it could cause other problems. But I'm neither an expert nor a mechanic. 

7 minutes ago, David Cleghorn said:

Thanks Travis, I've spent the last few hours looking at all the schematics available about the strike to work out the easiest way to remove the engine without doing a major strip down, I think I have worked it out and I have a  few days spare this week to pull it out, I agree with kenfain completely it would be a waste of money buying everything for the sake of something small but my fear is that once it's out and stripped I could be waiting week's for the parts, when you look at the position of these engines it's quite daunting to imagine having to remove one 🙈

It sounds like you're talking about obstructions like maybe the roll cage in the way? On some buggies, just like on some cars. The engine is removed from the bottom. Either way, I'd fully expect that the engine could be removed as an entire single piece. Because I guarantee that's how it went in. Might have to remove the complete powertrain as one piece. But that's even better!

As best I can tell the engine and gearbox/power train are a complete unit  but everything is so buried on these there isn't much to see after looking at all the diagrams I can find I feel more at ease about removing the engine it's not that I'm not mechanically minded it's more of another long winded project I could have done without but I'll start to tackle it hopefully on Wednesday I have to source and replace the electric motor for my briquette machine before this it compresses saw dust into small logs for our heating boiler, there's always something 🤷😁

24 minutes ago, David Cleghorn said:

As best I can tell the engine and gearbox/power train are a complete unit  but everything is so buried on these there isn't much to see after looking at all the diagrams I can find I feel more at ease about removing the engine it's not that I'm not mechanically minded it's more of another long winded project I could have done without but I'll start to tackle it hopefully on Wednesday I have to source and replace the electric motor for my briquette machine before this it compresses saw dust into small logs for our heating boiler, there's always something 🤷😁

When dealing with electric motors, I prefer to use an electric motor shop. Unless its ridiculously cheap, and a guaranteed fit. I'll have it fixed. Motors are typically easy to fix, and the cost is usually cheaper than new. And it's a guaranteed fit everytime. 

I've been quoted £500 + vat for the rebuild of the motor I can get a new replacement for £200 granted it is a cheap replacement however it only runs for 8-16 hours a month so it makes sense at the moment to put a cheaper motor on it and hold onto the Siemens original until a rebuild is required

That sounds like a rewind. I'd think that it wouldn't need anything more complicated than brushes. But I'm sure that you've looked into it completely. So we'll take your assessment as the end of it. Besides that, we're way off topic here. So keep us updated on any progress. And good luck!