Quantcast

New guy here,  my question is, is vapor lock common on this machine? When I run it for a while and shut it off it will not restart if it sets for 5-10 min. I have to lift the dump box and let it cool for approx 20 min before it will start. I replaced the fuel pump thinking it might be the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

May also be the ignition coils failing when hot, let em cool down, they work great, heat up, no spark..

Woops, ignore the above, I misread your problem.

But I would check for spark when it won't  restart, if it has spark, then it's a fuel issue... I would feel of the carburetor float area to be sure it isn't hot enough to keep you from touching it.

• Thanks 1

It gets hot you dont wanna stick your hand in there. I have spark the coils are under the cylinders its cooler there, would be odd for both of them to fail at the same time. It dont quit it just won't restart after setting for 10 min after turning it off. I thought there might be people  out here with the same issue that might have tips or trick other than lifting the box every time you stop. If you get back in within 3-4 min it starts right up.

I've never heard of vapor lock on the older mules. Vapor lock wasn't very common in older cars, but it certainly did happen. Seems like it was mostly a model specific thing. As some models were prone to it. And it might be common across a lot of examples of that particular model. Others never had a problem.  On one old truck of mine, the fix was using one of those spring loaded wooden clothes pins.  Just clipped it to the gas line near the carb. It worked as a heat sink.                                    I'm sure that you've looked up the cause. So some possible solutions might include.  Trying a cooling fan after stopping. Reducing the cooling time.                    Try idling the engine for a couple of minutes before shutting it down when it's hot.             Reroute the gas line away from hot manifold. Or if its a metal gas line, you could replace it with the rubber stuff. Or try insulating the gas line.                               Have you tried pulling the breather, and looking down the carburetor throat to see if it gets a good squirt of gas when it's doing this?

Not that!! Ok either fuel pump relay which I dont think would be affected by heat or the igniter that is on the flywheel. That would require removing front driveshaft and shifting mech to get the flywheel cover off. I'll see if my local dealer can order one. Toodeloo

Does anyone have a part # for the pickup coil on this 01 KAF 620E 3010? I think I've replaced everything else that might cause it to not start when the engine is warm. The manual calls it a pickup coil but I'm unable to find it by name anywhere. Any help would be Appreciated.

21121-2092  COIL-IGNITION    spacer.png

Or it could be referring to the igniter, which is basically an electronic points set that "tells" the coils when to fire... does the manual show a picture of it?          spacer.png

3010.PNG.d46ee1ec254121bfec35314bc0996ccb.PNG

21119-1583 for the igntiter.  

Thank you Travis it's part # 59026 top right. Why cant I find that part? The manual calls it a pickup coil. I think it's my culprit when it sits it gets hot and dont work right. Any suggestions on where to find one?