Quantcast

2001 3010 Mule

Dennis Knepp

Got spark! 

Took the air box off, full of gas, almost up to the drain hole. Gas in both intakes when I open the butterflys ( with a flashlight ) I can see gas lying in there bubbling. That with the key off, It's  flooded. Is the gas pushing past the needle valve when heat builds up?

It's got one of the split carbs, like two carbs in one body.

Sounds like a carburetor rebuild might be a good idea. That might not fix it. But if there's an over abundance of fuel. That's not good. And could be caused by several things. It could also cause the problem, but at this point, you never know.

Fuel is supposed to come out of the jets, and go immediately into the engine, and immediately burned. Fuel that's just loitering around, is looking for trouble. So I'd address this first. 

Don't know about Chinese replacement carbs for the mule. But for my Honda small engines, they're cheap enough to not bother with a rebuild.

Carburetor rebuilds are best done by the pros for best results. But the kits are cheap enough to give it a try. 

That plug looks pretty much normal, not perfect, but about what I'd expect. Although it's probably past time for replacement. If the others look the same then there's no internal engine problems. But that doesn't mean that you have fire, when the problem is present. 

If the carb issue is repaired, and the problem is still there. You'll still need to check for proper spark. 

I'd hose it down inside, and out with carb cleaner. Pull the bowl off, and hit the needle and seat. Along with all the holes I could get to, including the jets. Then put it back on, and see if it helped. 

Might cure the problem, might not. But since I'm sure that you haven't got a carb kit yet. That's the way I'd go. In fact, I'm not only cheap... I'm stubborn too. So that's exactly what I always do first. Carb kits are mostly gaskets anyhow. Those are easily made, should you happen to rip one.

• Like 2

I replaced the Carb on my Mule with a Chinese one, $75 was a lot better than $250....  One thing I like about the aftermarket carbs, they don't have that POS Limiter cap on the idle mixture... So far it's been good on mine...

When you pull the carb apart, look at the needle tip, be sure there are no small grooves or it isn't shaped funny (other than the perfect cone shape)  could be its wearing and letting extra gas slip by.. I believe they use a a Viton (rubbery) tip and brass seat..

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.