Quantcast

Okay another project i plan on doing.

The bed has a few rust spots starting on it, so i figure i'd better get the jump on it. Also i've always to put a bed mat in it to protect it, Kawasaki sells one, but for $70 AND it's fairly thin, i think about 5/16" ( i know some of the mats for the newer FXT's are 3/16") maybe less. so here's my plan.

Strip the paint in the floor of the bed, expose raw metal, sand and brush any rust away, apply  POR15 to kill the rust, then once that dries go over with the spray of rust reformer to prevent rust (maybe). Tractor supply sells those horse stall mats, my dad just bought one, they seem to be about 9/16" thick, maybe more. cut to dimensions, ( 40 3/4" wide X 34 1/2" long) Now, the way i figure on fixing the mat to the bed is this:  once i have the mat cut to dimension, drill through the mat and bed and bolt it down with carriage bolts since the heads are more or less flat. do one in each corner, nut and lockwasher on the underside.

ONE quart of POR15 covers 96 SQ FT, so i think a pint may be enough for my bed.....

and it looks like this one will be the right size.... https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/utility-rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-3-ft-x--frac12-in?cm_vc=-10005

What should i do differently? Thoughts?

travis  do you have a power dump on your bed ? the horse mats are heavy ....  really heavy,  and the mat may retain water and dirt under the mat.  we just paint ours every other year.  and the other thing about the horse mat is stuff will not slide when you dump them.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

No dump assist, I'm pretty strong ;) . Plus, once the angle  of the bed gets to a certain point, the weight assists with the dumping and the tilt of the bed tilts to almost vertical.. But i  rarely carry anything to dump, just firewood in the winter, tools and feed buckets in the spring and fall. I also want something thick enough that can protect the bed from gouges and scrapes, But you do have some good points. I will think about it.

I also thought about using those spray cans of bedliner.... but i read so many mixed reviews, i didn't know if it would be worth it or not.

Edited by Travis

I like the idea of the stall mat. But if the mule is left out in the weather, then I think water will definately cause problems with rust underneath the mat. If it's kept under a roof, then I think it'll be okay. As long as you can easily pull the mat out. So you'd need some kind of quick connect type fastener. 

Because you'll need a way to pull that mat out. You'll occasionally need a way to clean under it. Or to let it dry if it gets wet. But there's always the possibility that if it's heavyweight rubber. That it'll stay in place. No fasteners needed.

Mine has the OEM poly bedliner. It works well enough. 

I plan on prepping and coating the bed floor with POR15, supposedly kills and stops rust... It needs it after 20 years.. I thought about water getting under it... I actually cut the mat today and fits perfect all the way around..

I'm thinking about using a black caulk or sealer around the edges. But that would inhibit removal

Right now it stays under a tarp, but a shed for it is in the near future... I

I may come up with a way to use preexisting holes drilled in the bed for load fastening for a quick release though...

Let that mat sit there for a couple weeks. See if you even need it fastened. If you don't use the dump, there should be no reason to need it fastened. And it might just form fit and be fabulous. I guarantee that you'll need to get under that mat. Especially if you fasten it down permanently. 

I put a plywood bottom in and old wagon that I pulled behind a four wheeler. That was what I used before the mule. That plywood bottom didn't need to come out often, but it did need to come out. 

13 hours ago, Travis said:

I plan on prepping and coating the bed floor with POR15, supposedly kills and stops rust... It needs it after 20 years.. I thought about water getting under it... I actually cut the mat today and fits perfect all the way around..

I'm thinking about using a black caulk or sealer around the edges. But that would inhibit removal

Right now it stays under a tarp, but a shed for it is in the near future... I

I may come up with a way to use preexisting holes drilled in the bed for load fastening for a quick release though...

would not calk it at all, you would need a way for the water to drain out

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Gary Nations
      Just got a Champion 2000lb winch for Father's Day. Going on a 2018 Mule 4010 Trans used on the farm. Anyone have any experience/ tips for mounting? Front mount so what do I need?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By Stiffwood1673
      My community owns a Mule KAF620 MJF.  We also have a North Star trailer mounted power washer.  Fully loaded (w/water tank) the entire trailer weighs 3600#.  Since the Mule has a rated towing capacity of 1200#, we are afraid to tow the trailer fully loaded.  Since this unit has plowing capability, I have some difficulty believing that it would damage the unit by towing the 3600# unit short distances on perfectly flat terrain, mostly concrete or asphalt.  Can any experienced Mule operators comment on your towing experiences?
    • By Travis
      Kawasaki is close to releasing all new models for 2021..... Maybe they would take a direct trade in for My mule? lol.  

• By Kmrider
      Tried to buy a 2020 Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT and was told their was a stop sale on them, but the dealer had no info on what the problem was or how long until a solution is found to whatever the issue is.   Anyone know anything about this?
    • By Brando hart
      Please help, About to buy a new 2020 mule 700 MX. For driving back to my cottage which is only accessible by a 5 km off-road trail. My parents currently have a 2010 teyrx which does the job for a joke. The trail is fairly smooth -1 big rock Rock section that you have to climb. A big  rtv 1100 Kabota does it no problem as well. 
      I am looking into the mule because of its bench seat. One of my dogs cannot run in front because they’ve had a hip replacement. she also has anxiety and is not fare well on the teyrx. We think mainly because she can’t get comfortable because of the centre consul. We were thinking because of the mules bench seat she would be able to sit comfortably between me and my wife.
      my concern is the mules off-road capability. Do they fare pretty well in the woods/decently smooth ride?
      I also plan to do yardwork and plough my driveway with this mule MX. I love the size of it as well, Because it will be easy to store in my shed plus tow behind in my SUV.
      please let me know what it’s like in the woods/snow (in Nova Scotia we mainly only have 5inchs Of snow fall on the ground at a time)
      please help, me with Determining its off-road capabilities. determining it’s off-road capabilities and keep In mind the trail is in good condition. Also my 700 Yamaha raptor, and 400ex use to do the trail amazing. To give an idea that the trail of pretty good.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By David Wilson
      Have a early model 550 hisun UTV is stuck in rear diff lock found a broken red wire in the cable for the diff , Repaired but still wont come out of lock possition can you help ?
      Dave
    • By Travis
      Before
      Crank un-installedPiston INSTALLED after honing.Crank installed after honing.

Last pic is honed.
      Kind of blurry, took it with one hand. It looks better in person. It may not be professional quality but im 99.99999999999999999% sure it will work.
      Did better than I thought i would.

So now, only ONE more obstacle. the crankshaft axial play adjustment BUT
      I need someones opinion ( i took the piston back out afterwards) not sure if you can see it, but in the picture with cylinder honed, it's almost right where the  glare from the light is, and on top of the cylinder directly across from the spot, it looks like the hone didn't get ruffed up.  any ideas? out of round cylinder, cylinder wore and needs bored??

• By Travis
      Once i get the cylinder honed, the only remaining problem is the crankshaft shim..  And i have a few questions.
      1. In the manual it gives a solution to the problem i'm having of the crank NOT spinning when the cover on (by hand).
      2.  And i just can't wrap what's left of my brain around the instructions, i guess use a caliper to measure? (instructions  circled in red)
       (my brother has been helping me, he's fairly knowledgeable with this stuff, but more Diesel engines than anything) and he says to use a dial indicator set up, and to use this* as a spec for end play. and that would help us get the measurements needed in picture #2.
      1st pic is the runout. But is it the same as crankshaft end play? 🤔

2nd pic is of the instructions (solution) to get the correct shim.
       I don't know, maybe this makes sense the way i wrote it.
       Thanks, Travis.
    • By Travis
      Came off of a 2001 Kawasaki Mule 550.  Used. Very good condition, works like a champ.
      This model filter fits the 550, 520 and 500.
      OEM Price: $57.00
      Your Price: $25.00+Shipping
      Will Ship USPS.
      Please Private Message me if interested, with your zip code, so i can calculate shipping.
      Thank YOU!

• By POS mule 550
      I have a Mule 550, what year I do not know. It is completely stock as far as I know. It has the original 10" wheels and I would like to upgrade to a 12" because I need to run more asphalt friendly tires. If there is harder tire available for the 10" wheels, PLEASE let me know. My question is what do I need to know to order the correct wheel size and tire size to make this swap. Links to dealers with these options would be greatly appreciated.