Quantcast

Better gas up the Mule's and Generators!

image4.png?b1df0a79148a90f38e919c6e2c94508efbb45e669fc12bab129c6c1532a2c

• Water: One gallone, per person, per day, for three days
  • Non perishable food: enough for three days
  • Flashlight(s)
  • Battery powered radio
  • Extra batteries
  • A first aid kit
  • Extra medications
  • A multipurpose tool (like a Swiss Army Knife)
  • Sanitary or personal hygiene products
  • Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
  • Cell phone and chargers
  • Family and emergency contact information
  • Extra cash
  • Emergency blanket
  • Map of the area
  • Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers, etc…)
  • Pet supplies (leashes, collar with ID, food carrier, bowl, food)
  • Tools and supplies for securing the home
  • Extra set of car keys and house keys
  • Extra clothing, hat, and sturdy shoes
  • Insect repellant and sun screen
  • Camera for taking pictures of hurricane damage

This rare double incoming storm really doesn't present any serious problems. Since neither is expected to be that severe when they make landfall. 

It's extremely rare, that they'd come in at the same time. But if they combined, there's absolutely no reason to be concerned. As the wind from the storms would play against, rather than with each other. 

Also the outflow would cause a cooling of the surrounding water. That would further weaken the other storm.

I'll gladly take the rain though.

• Like 1

If it makes landfall in Texas as a category 1, I'd be a bit surprised. Since it's tracking shows it going across quite a bit of land in Mexico. That'll make it harder to regroup. Probably all depends on the water temperature, and how fast it moves.

But you're absolutely correct in being prepared. 

Travis, just looking at your list. It seems like it's more of a bug out checklist. Now that this storm is headed your way, if you're planning on staying put, I'd suggest that you change some priorities.

Since you're a few miles away from the coast, there's no reason to leave. Instead you'll need to stock up on non perishable items. And if you have a generator, you'll need perishable food as well. The stores might not have everything in stock afterwards.

Since Laura is scheduled to make landfall as a significant hurricane.  I'd also have at least one good chainsaw handy. Along with fuel for it. In fact,  I'd fill every car, and gas can I owned. Assuming that you're on municipal water, and not a water well. Fill every water container I own, and the bathtub too. There could be a disruption in service. The amounts you've given,are minimum amounts, and aren't for generous usage at home. As dishes have to be washed, and toilets flushed. 

Probably won't be any issues, but it's cheap insurance against the worst case scenario. I'd move my cars out from under any trees, and bring pets indoors too. And keep your powder dry, you might need that as well. 

• Like 1

got a good Husqvarna 445 and plenty of mixed gasoline, and a 70 HP Kubota tractor with a front end loader and bucket,  all the gasoline and diesel cans are full (hope there isn't a fire,lol) and plenty of  loppers, we're on  a water well. we've got alot of water drawn up anyway in  2 liter jugs and milk jugs, made sure the generator is running good.  We've got quite a bit of canned food stored.... Got plenty of munitions as well ;)  heck, if the grocery store gets sold out, we've got Dove and some deer meat in the freezer 👍

We're kind of worried about the wind as we used to have nothing but trees for a few miles around us, but they cleared it all out and put a subdivision in across the road... Tree's are good windblocks, and there aren't as many around as there were in 2008 with ike.

Plenty of no trespassing signs too. Just in case the Houston crowd decides to head North for a little camp out afterwards. 

If it gets a good piece of Houston, you can bet it'll affect prices, and availability of just about everything in your area.

I live a few miles from Tyler. And I've stocked up on everything that I normally use anyway. Plus lots of gas. I could see the price of fuel going up in the next few days. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, silverbullett said:

Wife just back from Waco  shopping, getting nails done,etc..she said traffic was unusually heavy and stores also crowded! Waco seems to be way on the outer fringe but guess the frantic shopping hit there too!

There's an evacuation order for far Southeast Texas, and Southern Louisiana as well. They're opening evacuation shelters further North, some closer to me. Maybe the people further West on the coastline have decided that now would be a good time to visit relatives. I wouldn't want to take a chance, and stay in Houston right now. 

Update from the ABC weatherman,,

4PM TUESDAY HURRICANE LAURA UPDATE:

Laura's winds are now up to 80 mph. The forecast track cone of the probable center path is largely unchanged, but the National Hurricane Center notes, "it is still possible that the forecast track could nudge westward in later advisories."

Why could they move it toward I-45? Because the reliable and best-performing European ECMWF and UKMET models are still to the WEST (left) of the cone's center.

Remember, the cone represents equal chances that the *center* will track along the left, middle, and right paths. And even 36 hours prior to landfall, the *average* center track error is 60 miles either direction!

Regardless of the exact track, we WILL have impacts from Laura, we just yet can't say with 100% certainty to what degree the impacts will be where you live. Impacts will be far-reaching and very intense along and east (right) of where Laura makes landfall, but to the west (left) of where Laura makes landfall, intense impacts will decrease sharply.

For example, if the storm makes landfall along the center of the cone in Jefferson County, hurricane force winds would extend westward to about Galveston northward to Baytown in east Harris County northward to Lake Livingston. Meanwhile, by the time you get to Katy in west Harris County, the winds would barely gust above 30 mph.

However, let's say Laura tracks toward a landfall just 30 miles west at High Island. Then hurricane force wind gusts would extend back west to a line drawn through San Luis Pass on Galveston's West End up north through Friendswood to the East Loop and nearly to I-45 north of Pearland. Wind gusts in Katy would reach to 40 mph with 40-50 mph gusts across the west side of Houston.

If the storm tracks on the left side of the cone (or even just a little outside) and makes landfall anywhere along Galveston Island, hurricane force wind gusts would occur northward from the coast across all of Greater Houston and to at least Huntsville. Notice how a Hurricane Watch extends as far north as Lufkin, which is almost 150 miles inland. This is a fast-moving hurricane, so hurricane winds could extend all the way into North Texas because it still takes several hours for these powerful storms to wind down after departing the Gulf.

This will be a nighttime wind event from basically sunset Wednesday to sunrise Thursday. Landfall is predicted to be at category 3 intensity with 115 mph winds around 1AM Thursday. The National Hurricane Center notes the average intensity error is about 10 mph 36 hours prior to landfall. So it's more appropriate to give a range of 105-125 mph at landfall. Category 4 begins at 130 mph.

Evacuation orders are in effect for coastal residents in flood-prone storm surge zip codes. Along and east of the center path, storm surge is expected to range from 9-13 feet. If Laura makes landfall along the center of the cone, surge combined with high tide could still reach 4-6ft along Galveston Island and over 7ft above ground along Bolivar Peninsula. Galveston Bay can expect 3-5ft of surge. Even west of Galveston storm surge could reach 2 feet above ground as far as Sargent.

I have to get ready for TV now, and I may not be able to post as extensively here on Facebook from here on out. I will still make short posts to get out important, breaking info, but you'll have to find me on TV to get deeper analysis.

Right now, North Texas is using hotels to house the evacuees. Pets welcome too! The generosity of those cities who have opened their arms to these evacuees is humbling.

While liberals believe it's okay to burn the property of others. North Texans have welcomed their Brothers, and Sisters into their communities. Treating them like the family we all are. It's one of the things that sets us apart. 

May Almighty God, watch over those who felt the need to stay behind. And may He rebuild the lives of those who are about to lose so much! 

• Like 1