Quantcast

Travis

What do you do when

The battery only drops to 12.2 when starting. bad batteries usually drop below 10V, plus when it does start. it spins over quick.

battery is a New Yuasa from the dealership back in the spring time.

And you have checked the continuity through all the wires? And the starter motor checked out good? Just throwing some ideas out there. 

I don't know what a ignition switch costs, but if it's not expensive I would try that if everything else is working properly.

the wires that come into the starter circuit relay, i've check for continuity, nothing to ground, (no shorts)

23 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

I don't know what a ignition switch costs, but if it's not expensive I would try that if everything else is working properly.

i failed to mention, i was only able to clean where the switch wires plug into the harness, not the switch itself, appears to be all one piece.

Kawasaki wants $75 for a key switch.  Cheapos on Scamazon are $30.

i reall don't want to keep throwing money at this. I really don't see how it could be anything else as all it is is 2 wires on the solenoid, big battery cable and the trigger wire, the trigger wire has the correct voltage as spec'd by the manual (battery voltage).

EDIT: even when the solenoid clicks, i still get the correct voltage on the trigger wire.

$75.00 for an ignition switch sure seems a bit steep. Sounds like you are paying for a name in this instance. I can understand relying on name brands for reliability, but that's awful steep. 

Believe me, I get that you don't want to keep throwing money at it. Sometimes our toys get a bit expensive to keep going. 

i've got a test light, i might try and see what voltage, if any, i get to the 2nd post of the solenoid (that goes to the starter motor) when it clicks.

I'm also wondering if it's a mechanical issue, in the starter. because after the previous starter went out, and i replaced it with this starter, it worked great for about 4 weeks.

Was it a new starter? I guess it wouldn't matter. Nowadays with such poor quality control nothing is guaranteed. 

9 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

Was it a new starter? I guess it wouldn't matter. Nowadays with such poor quality control nothing is guaranteed. 

new, but made in Chyna. never heard back from the seller. which is a huge red flag, cause it literally started acting up like 3 days after the 1 month replacement guarantee ran out.

Sounds fishy to me. I would be surprised if you do hear back from the seller. They got your money and it's out of warranty, so you get it in the end. Do you still have the old one?

9 hours ago, T-boss 410 said:

Sounds fishy to me. I would be surprised if you do hear back from the seller. They got your money and it's out of warranty, so you get it in the end. Do you still have the old one?

Yeah, I still have the old DB electrical starter, 

You don't possibly have any shops there that specialize on electric motors? It's been my experience that they do excellent work, and you know it was done right. Unfortunately, buying Chinese knockoffs is a crapshoot. Just MHO, but I think your problem exists either in your ignition switch or the starter. 

I took my rubber mallet out earlier and held the key in start position and tapped on the starter motor itself, not the solenoid. And it kicked over after about 3 good taps.

Something sticking inside? Maybe if you disassemble it and do some cleaning and lubricating it will take care of the problem.

21 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

Something sticking inside? Maybe if you disassemble it and do some cleaning and lubricating it will take care of the problem.

That's what I was thinking

20 minutes ago, T-boss 410 said:

Make any headway?

I haven't had time to look at it, probably will tomorrow morning.

AND THE SUSPECT IS..<DRUM ROLL>

The
 CHEAP CHINESE STARTER GEAR.

My dad helped me today, we tried lubing and cleaning, never worked, cleaned all the relay connections etc.

then we installed the starter, hooked everything up. BUT left the starter un bolted, and sitting ontop of the engine (ran a alligator clip from the solenoid bolt to ground), it spun up every time, closer inspection the so called  "steel" gear has kind of mushroomed on the end of the teeth. the flywheel teeth are good.

so i guess the gear was hanging on the flywheel enough to not let the solenoid retract all the way and that's why tapping the starter, NOT the solenoid would work.

i'm debating either filing them a bit, OR, i can purchase the OEM Kawasaki gear on ebay for 25 bucks. that gear should fit this starter as the starter is a copy of the original. that's what i'm hoping.