Quantcast

Mark Popeye

QLINK Starting Problems

I snipped the feed to radio.  Still starting up but not the best.  How does one check to make sure it's charging battery, when running?  Trying not to buy more unnecessary parts again.  Seems to fire up, at full charge.  That's why I'm installing a kill switch.  I want to see if anything's causing battery to drain, while not in use.  I need to get more fuel hoses to change out as well.  

1 hour ago, Mark Popeye said:

I snipped the feed to radio.  Still starting up but not the best.  How does one check to make sure it's charging battery, when running?  Trying not to buy more unnecessary parts again.  Seems to fire up, at full charge.  That's why I'm installing a kill switch.  I want to see if anything's causing battery to drain, while not in use.  I need to get more fuel hoses to change out as well.  

To see if it's charging, you need to use a multimeter. Set it to read in the 20v range. 

Test at the battery while it's running. You should see at least 13.5v

So, pulling the 13.5v as tested and battery tested 13ish.  Was dead as a door nail yesterday.  Put the kill switch in and currently charging it again.  We'll see how it does, with power killed.  

2 hours ago, Mark Popeye said:

So, pulling the 13.5v as tested and battery tested 13ish.  Was dead as a door nail yesterday.  Put the kill switch in and currently charging it again.  We'll see how it does, with power killed.  

If you're talking about a battery disconnect, that would probably work. You should take the battery to autozone also. Have them do a load test. The battery needs a full charge for this test.

• Like 1

Wondering if my cold cranking amps aren't enough.  I did verify that I purchased the correct battery.   Battery disconnect is functioning,  starting but still sluggish sometimes.  

Does it act the same way if you add jumper cables? I'd wonder if the starter was pulling too many amps? Or if the positive cable had internal corrosion?

Because once it's warmed up, it should start right up. So I'd check the electrical possibilities, before I suspected a mechanical problem. 

Also, whatever is draining the battery overnight, could be substantial enough. That it's pulling enough amps away, to affect the starter, and how many amps that IT needs. Starters pull a lot of amps, and they don't like to share. Eventually, you'll absolutely have to find out what's draining the battery overnight anyway. I'd probably make that my first priority. 

If I add jumper cables (at least the last time I did), it fired right up.   https://www.walmart.com/ip/UPG-12V-35Ah-AGM-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-UB12350-U1-Group/168009742   This is the battery I recently purchased (This is the one Qlink said went with mine).  Wondering if it's not strong enough.  Even with disconnect utilized, I still seem to be having starting problems.  I guess I could replace the positive cable.  Was thinking about taking battery back to WalMart for testing as well.  Maybe that's a lemon?

Seems strange that a deep cycle battery was recommended for starting. No reason why it wouldn't work though. Mine uses one, but mine is a diesel. Gas engines typically use a standard battery. 

I'd put a full charge on it, check the voltage, then start the engine a couple times. No driving, just start it up, and shut it off, repeat. Then check the battery voltage again. This just knocks off the surface charge. You should still be just above 12v-12.5v . Last time you said it was 13ish, that's a bit high.

If you suspect the battery isn't the right size, or not strong enough. Try a different battery from the car, or something. 

No reason to buy a positive cable yet. You can easily check resistance with your multi meter. Takes less than a minute. Google will show you the exact details. 

But like I said before, I believe you'll still need to find that mysterious power draw. YouTube has a few tutorials about finding electrical shorts. But those only tell you which circuit. Then you know which wire to chase, or which component to test. But with it narrowed down, it usually gets easy from there.

It's a process of elimination, but I'm thinking that your root issue is there, in that overnight battery discharge. It just seems suspicious, that you've got two problems that could very easily share the same root cause.