Quantcast

E-Brake Adjustment, MSU 800 2021

Blair

Everytime I go to tractor Supply or home Depot, both Massimo Dealers, and I see anyone looking at the Massimo UTVs in front of the stores, I take the time to tell them of my "wonderful" experience with Massimo and their products and service.... They usually change their minds about buying one. BTW, all of these are  mostly assembled at the Massimo Assembly Plant in Dallas Texas.. and Cliffs right, its built from cloned and aftermarket parts from the cheapest sources they can find ....the final assembly is at the Dealer, seats, wheels/tires  ,roll bars windshield..   And yes, I am an old fart too.. I bought my first THREE WHEELED HONDA  ATC90  when I was a teenager ..when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.. 

The infamous Honda three wheeler. I had many a friend that got injured on one of those. Usually a shoulder injury if you're lucky. You know it's bad when the government steps in and bans them. Like the lawn darts (remember? I had some!), the original MB200 minibike (people got killed from faulty forks) beanbags, pop rocks, clackers (acrylic balls on sting) original easy bake oven with a 60 watt bulb. Yea, I'm as old as dirt. I remember getting that cymbal clapping chimp for Christmas, it had these really creepy bulging eyes. Main problem was we only had general purpose batteries back then (no alkaline) they only lasted about 30 minuets and were kinda expensive. I digress...

4 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

The old 3 wheelers were easily rolled over while turning but if you kept it going straight you were OK .. with ballooon tires they practically floated ...and thats all we had then 

I remember the dinosaurs too...

I had a chain drive pedal driven tricycle when I was a kid, that would flip easily in a turn too. Re; "floating", that's what my HS400 does on the beach., we have designated driving areas between the dunes and the beach proper that get significantly rutted up from the heavier, wider track vehicles--my little 1100 lb. UTV get two wheels in a rut and two wheels floating on the mound between the ruts; and cannot make up it's mind which way to go. 2WD is better than 4WD if I don't need the extra traction. 4WD with the front diff locked is horrible, grabbing and turning every which way, tossing the back end around.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Breaux said:

you cant steer in 4wd.. with all wheels pulling , it just wants to go straight  not turn .. mine will actually push the turned front wheels straight forward 

My 400 will steer OK in 4WD on more firm surfaces, even a sandy road,  but on the beach in the deep, fine, soft sand we have due to beach "replenishment"¹ it wants to squirm all over the place.  Not a real problem but disconcerting and annoying when suddenly the vehicle rotates 5° to 10° by itself--it doesn't really turn, just rotates and ends up pointing in a different direction.

-------------------------------------------------
¹- Replenishment = pumping  very fine sand from the ocean floor 1/2 to 1 mile out onto the beach. It is NOT normal beach sand, more like a powder; it blows all over the place, we now have 20-30+ foot high dunes where 25 years ago there were none.  A typical Government "good intention" not thought through all the way and gone wrong in the end.

11 hours ago, Blair said:

Dang man. Now that is a backstory. That is important information to me. I'm a small business owner, same company now for 34 years. I was actually considering applying to be a dealer for Massimo. My nearest authorized dealer is in Kentucky! I thought I could set the woods on fire with sales in the Metro Davidson/Nashville Area. There's 2 million people out here and no Hisun dealer.  With your added valuable info, I think I would rather maintain my reputation and especially my sanity. At any rate, I got a real laugh out loud to your: "getting tired of screwing". That's funny... I should be so lucky.

I think it wise to avoid a relationship with Massimo, they seem to care most about their interests. I don't know if Hisun is seeking vendors, but you might want to consider that. My HS400, which I bought as a Coleman UT400, seems to be quite well made; and looking at the model's history there appears to be a record of constant improvement. The engine in mine is both water and oil cooled, it also uses forced air cooling of the magneto.

I found through the EPA data that the chassis, bodywork and suspension were made by the Vietnamese  company--into which they installed the Hisun produced engine and drive train. The welds, obviously machined generated, are textbook perfect, alignment and all is spot on.   

You know, I grew up in the South. I love the South. I grew up on Chevrolet/GMC, Ford and Chrysler. Pretty much in that order.  In 2010 I bought a Kia Sportage (Korean) mainly because Consumer Report gave it top ratings and it came with a 10 Year - 100,000 mile warranty. Well, fast forward to 2021. I swear, all I've put into it is 1 battery, 1 set of tires and a brake job. So...yeah

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blair said:

When I see that weird name, I just look at it. I've never even tried to pronounce it. I didn't see any benefit from it.

Getting back on track, how are you doing with that parking brake?

If you can post photos of what you can see, I'd love to have a look at 'em...

Yea, I kinda stalled out over here. It's been raining and turned a little too cool outside.
1192115901_MSU800.thumb.JPG.86f9df805a49dd821cfb13b9f70eb007.JPG
Here is a adjustment point. The tiny red X is the nut I will be tightening. It's too cramped in my garage right now to do it. It was a challenge to get the picture. What do ya'll think?

26 minutes ago, Blair said:

Yea, I kinda stalled out over here. It's been raining and turned a little too cool outside.
1192115901_MSU800.thumb.JPG.86f9df805a49dd821cfb13b9f70eb007.JPG
Here is a adjustment point. The tiny red X is the nut I will be tightening. It's too cramped in my garage right now to do it. It was a challenge to get the picture. What do ya'll think?

It looks like there's maybe 1/2" and a bit of adjustment--wonder what is supposed to keep that barrel nut on there?  Ii you get some exposed thread when you tighten it see if you can get a lock nut on the rod--looks like an M5 or M6 thread. If you can find it, the other end of the cable with the longer threaded rod would offer more adjustment--it has to be at the operating lever end...

On the new cable it looks as though the end of the threaded extension mat be upset a bit: 

2021-MSU800P-BrakeAdj-00.jpg.314358906ddeef64daf55ad5fc52b2ae.jpg