Quantcast

COLEMAN UT400 Fuel indicator

NewtoUTV

There is you tube video on shift cable adjustment.  That wont fix it , you need updated shifter .Either find someone to do the mod i posted , or call coleman ,   Have them start a claim , They should send you updated shifter . Not hard to  install .   As for running issue, as dumb as it sounds, check air filter. i have found several installed backwards , choking air flow.  Spark plugs foul out pretty bad on these also . DO NOT use torch , Efire or anyother cheap plug . NGK ,BOsch or Champion only . Coleman support is horrible .  I have 7-10 units in my shop at all times .  

AFS Small Engine Repair 

Marion Iowa 

Greg I contacted Coleman, it took 2 months for a response via email and they asked for info I got it back to them within a day and then once again no replies.  I ended up calling there number a week later and the person on the phone found a repair place that was 100 miles away and they said I needed to take the unit there.  What a joke, worst company I have ever dealt with!  I will never by any products from them again.  Nothing, no camping stuff, nothing!  I will look at your post regarding shifter.

There are two more issues also, but not important at this time. 

• 2 weeks later...

By fuel mix are you referring to fuel:air mix

OR are you mixing gas and 2-cycle oil and pouring into the tank?

I'm not familiar with the Coleman UT400 but, I'm 99% sure the fuel should not be a gas:oil mix. Like a 2-cycle engine. 99% sure the engine is 4-cycle. Even though it's a single cylinder. 

If using straight gas and still getting a lot of carbon build-up. Try a different grade/brand of gas. Maybe some fuel cleaner. 

Around here we have 1 station that sells REC gas. It's 90 octane and doesn't have ethanol. 

On 1/22/2022 at 7:03 PM, Brent said:

Yep. Mine is the same. This shows you have a full tank. The indicators will disappear from right to left as it consumes fuel.

Hi Brent. Mine looks the same. Nothing has changed and I’ve ran it fit two hours since filling it up. Also why is the orange fuel tank lit up? Any ideas?

New,

There is no way to adjust the fuel/air mixture manually. The ECU adjusts automatically based on the O2 sensor in the exhaust just like a modern car.

I can't see a pic of your plug, care to upload one? If you have excessive carbon build up it may be too low a heat range, or you may have something else going on. What model plug did you uave installed?

NewtoUTV,

as Bryan g said above. He runs a service center and has had new machines come in with air filter installed backwards.

If the air filter was installed backwards that may make the machine hard to start and use more fuel or give a rich fuel/air mix and cause carbon build-up on plug. Doesn't hurt to check. Maybe need to clean air filter.

To keep from replacing spark plugs. Soak in regular gas overnight and a good stiff brush to clean off the carbon for the next use.

Carbon buildup can come from rich gas/air mixture like you said. But can also be a leaking fuel injector, weak coil spark, or bad spark plug wire.

You can get a spark tester or make one. On one end has a tip where you plug in the spark plug wire. The other end has alligator clip that clips to engine block. It has an adjustable pointer so the gap can be adjusted. That way you can tell how far of a gap the spark will jump. About $15 at auto parts.

Screenshot_20230104-180043_Chrome.thumb.jpg.053f35b916f92931e1e8ad15ff10b8e7.jpg

I use this all the time for outboards. To see how strong a spark is. Should have a good blue spark. Red or yellow spark means weak spark. And jump a 7/16 to 1/2 inch gap with ease. Reason for jumping such a large air gap. It takes more voltage to jump a gap under pressure. Like the pressure in the combustion chamber of the cylinder than in the open air. And since we are testing the gap in open air. The distance has to increase.

If not then maybe the spark plug wire has too high resistance or the coil is giving a weak spark. And the coil should be covered under warranty. 

To check the fuel injector. Turn key on, wait for fuel pump to kick off. Then wait to see if it kicks back on. I don't think the fuel pump should kick on unless the fuel system is loosing pressure. It's a closed system and unless you see a fuel leak. It would have to be the injector leaking or pump. And if pump leaking off wouldn't cause excess fuel in combustion chamber causing carbon buildup on spark plug. Should be able to find an injector or coil on Amazon for $35ish. But injector should be covered under warranty also.

I order replacement parts off Amazon and had my machine (Axis) fixed before the mobile tech contacted me. 2 weeks after I fixed it mobile tech called and told me he'd order parts. I'm still waiting on the replacement parts. Just want to have them incase the drive shaft goes out again.

Hope this helps some to point you in the right direction to resolve you problem.

• 8 months later...

I have a question. Mine is the Coleman. The fuel pump black ring came unscrewed. When I go to put it back in, it seems like the fuel pump won't go all the way down without me pressing it in the tank pretty hard while I turn the ring. Is that normal? Should it just go all the way down easily or do you have to push and hold it in there?

There should be a rubber O-ring around the fuel pump. Between the fuel pump and tank.

Put a little grease around the O-ring. That will help the ring turn to lock. 

Yes it should be a little hard to turn since you have to compress that O-ring. Once you get the ring started in the locking tabs. Get a brass hammer or solid rubber hammer. If needed you can use a brass punch against the ring. And tap with the brass or rubber hammer.

Reason for rubber or brass is those material don't cause sparks. You don't want sparks around the fuel pump or fuel tank.

Let us know how it goes for you. 

Send pics.

Greg

• Thanks 1