Quantcast

Looking to buy a UTV for farm work and snow plowing

Been using our beloved 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO for many years to get us around with tools, feed, and other farm work. Each winter it has plowed us out of just about anything north central WA winters have thrown at us.  Problem is I'm going to be 70 this year and riding around in the open with temps in the teens and plowing 4,000 of gravel driveway is getting tougher.

So we are looking for a strictly utilitarian UTV. No trail riding, no need for beverage cups, no bluetooth speaker systems, not a diesel and not electric Just a good solid vehicle with a full cab, something that I can hook a snow plow system to that will handle up to 8 to 12" of snow once every few years but mostly 4 to 6" at a time. Probably my last buy and I'd like something reliable with some longevity, not too hard to find parts for and that I can do a fair amount of the work on.

Does such a piece of equipment that meets those requirements even exist anymore and if so I'd appreciate some recommendations. Thanks

• Like 1

Welcome!!

First off, What's your budget?

I would recommend a Kawasaki Mule SX model, it will do all of what you're wanting for around $7,000 + accessories. but since you seem to be reliant upon the machine to clear snow, the SX has some problems in the colder climates with it's EPA Evaporative system freezing due to moisture collecting  and just causing a general pain in the rear with it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Travis said:

Welcome!!

First off, What's your budget?

I would recommend a Kawasaki Mule SX model, it will do all of what you're wanting for around $7,000 + accessories. but since you seem to be reliant upon the machine to clear snow, the SX has some problems in the colder climates with it's EPA Evaporative system freezing due to moisture collecting  and just causing a general pain in the rear with it.

Thank you for the kind welcome. 

Not looking to spend $20k+  but  a solid value that will hold together for 10 - 15 years is worth spending money on. Probably will never go more than 20 to 25 mph so not looking for a speedster.  A good amount of torque with some real power will make a difference in what we can accomplish. One thing I'm learning as I get older is if you want to keep doing the same things you did when you were younger finding some good mechanical assistance can make all the difference.

The Mule was on our list of prospective  machines but this Evaporative system sounds like it isn't going to work. We get weeks during the winter where the temps are in the teens and 20s with RHs of 80 to 95%. Hoarfrost is a thing of beauty on trees and bushes, probably wouldn't be so good in that system.

3 hours ago, Scott Meszaros said:

not familiar with this "evaporative system"...........can you share details.......out mule has been pretty reliable...............

here's one of the issues on the 610 and SX's https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/threads/mule-610-spewing-oil.98229/

If i recall there was also another deal located somewhere underneath the mule that has to do with the charcoal evap canister and if it freezes up it'll choke out the engine due to no air being able to vent out from the tank.

• Like 1

I have had good luck with the Kubota RTV-X1140 (diesel).  $18500 with 0% financing through Kubota.  Nice riding machine with good torque.  Has done everything I have asked it to do.  

Curious, why are you against a diesel?  If you're looking for something strictly for farm / ranch utility, the ability to make this unit a 2 seater with a long bed when needed has been very nice for us.

Avoid Coleman / Hisun, unless you like to spend lots of time cussing.

CC

13 hours ago, Joe Breaux said:

maybe  the  higher  initial cost and the higher  price of diesel  fuel ?  It is much higher than gas here .. My LS Tractor is TURBO Diesel , and fuel is $3 .69 /gal . .. ...Reg gas is $2.69 here 

You running on regular Joe?  I've been using  Premium  (maybe Midgrade once or twice).  

15 minutes ago, Scott Meszaros said:

was always told, whether true or not, that you should run regular in small, air cooled engines..............premium produces too much heat..............

I  dont think heat produced by fuel is any different. Premium doesnt increase power . Higher octane is simply additives to prevent detonation and damage  in higher compression engines..Its the higher compression ratio that makes more power. not the premium fuel  ............ I do usually run non-ethanol mid grade 89 octane in mine. but it does  run fine on 87 octane without pinging. . All 4 of my Hondas run fine on regular  midgrade or premium.. . Never had any overheating issue on the 2 air-cooled  ATVs I have ,or the 2 water-cooled.. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TapBoss said:

You running on regular Joe?  I've been using  Premium  (maybe Midgrade once or twice).  

I usually run midgrade 89 octane.. But I have used 87 octane.. no pinging .. Buddies of mine all run reg or midgrade in theirs .. except the guy with the RAZR .. he claims it runs better on 105 octane.. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT .. Altho he smokes all of us. ha ha 

2 minutes ago, Scott Meszaros said:

i can attest, you are not winning any speed contests with a mule.....................

haha... No mule here...just a   Lowly MASSIMO .. clone of a Yamaha Rhino .. 42 mph on flat ground ... I was going to buy the  Honda Pioneer, but my 90 year old Dad insisted on this one at  Tractor Supply . It was supposed to be for him since he just cant ride ATVs anymore. It broke every time we ran it so he wont even drive it .  I tried to trade it on the Honda when it was still new... NOPE!  Honda refused it. 

it may be a  placebo effect, but running 91 octane in my mule seems to result in quicker throttle response compared to 89..... well,  Joe Breaux did say something about High Compression engines 😎

The main thing on air cooled engines, never let them idle for long, that's what overheats them. they need air moving from the fan to cool off. Higher RPM the better, contradictary to most belief.

Some have oil coolers too. But again, if you aint moving, you aint cooling.   Maybe its not placebo but instead its the very cold air  now..   On High Performance car engines, you can gain up to 1% HP increase for every 10 degree drop in inlet air below 70 degrees .. feed an engine 30 degree air and you will feel it 

I live in a community that has mechanics of all flavors from small gas engines to let's take apart a semi and put it back together. None of them will run gasoline with ethanol in their small gas engines, octane doesn't seem to be the issue, the ethanol gunking up carburetors and fuel injectors is the issue.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bill Kresge said:

I live in a community that has mechanics of all flavors from small gas engines to let's take apart a semi and put it back together. None of them will run gasoline with ethanol in their small gas engines, octane doesn't seem to be the issue, the ethanol gunking up carburetors and fuel injectors is the issue.

I agree  completely  about ethanol.. I have 4 boats with both 2 stroke and 4 stroke outboards.. ETHANOL is a disaster waiting to happen in any engine that does not run daily .  Especially here in 95% humidity . ethanol  literally sucks the water out of the air in the tanks , just to f -up your carbs and injectors.. Leave a nasty gunk inside.. and eats up fuel hoses . I will not use it.  I have had to clean and rebuild way too many carbs over the years .. One boat has 8 freaking carbs on twin engines.. It was ridiculous... I would have to actually use a drill bit to get that hard gunk out of the jets... .No mo ethanol in mine.. 

• Like 1

Update: Getting a Kubota or Can Am right now seems unlikely. None of the dealers within 200 miles have any models I'd be interested in stock and they are out anywhere from 4 to 9 months. Seems the supply chain mess has things in a tizzy in the world of ATVs and UTVs.

Anyone have any experiences with the  CF Moto U800 or 1000? I've been seeing a lot of positive reviews but that's all I know about them.

6 hours ago, Steve Vanvelzen said:

Inventory for UTVs is down to the bottom of the barrel. If you are lucky enough to find a used one they are asking as much as new. Actually it's a bad time to buy anything right now. I am looking for a Jon boat and a sub-compact tractor and all the used ones are listed as high as "new" list prices.

I agree, it is pretty horrible. We don't need anything right now so we're going to hold off and see how things are later in the year.