Quantcast

Do it yourself maintenance

Go to solution Solved by Roadstar515,

• Solution

Just talked to Hisun and they said I could do the oil changes but to make sure I purchase the Hisun oil filter and use a good quality 10w40 wet clutch motorcycle oil. I new about the oil, but wanted to make sure about the filter. With that said by following that guideline, it won’t void your warranty if something happens during that period. I don’t like not being able to do my own maintenance.

19 hours ago, Roadstar515 said:

Just talked to Hisun and they said I could do the oil changes but to make sure I purchase the Hisun oil filter and use a good quality 10w40 wet clutch motorcycle oil. I new about the oil, but wanted to make sure about the filter. With that said by following that guideline, it won’t void your warranty if something happens during that period. I don’t like not being able to do my own maintenance.

I used Mobil 1 4T-10w-40 when I owned a Coleman (Hisun).  There was a noticeable improvement in the shifter and sound of the machine.

Oil filter was difficult to find.  Finally found one for the 550 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2UIZT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

18 hours ago, mcraigchr said:

image.thumb.png.6b8e9199ea4f00ee148d6590da7bfa22.png

Just happened to notice in my service manual the recommended oil weight is 10W30 and it doesn’t mention synthetic. I’m a firm believer in synthetic oils, seeing I use them in all my vehicles that call for that. I’m going to call Hisun and see what they say. I’ll let you know if your interested and if not no biggy 

52 minutes ago, Roadstar515 said:

Just happened to notice in my service manual the recommended oil weight is 10W30 and it doesn’t mention synthetic. I’m a firm believer in synthetic oils, seeing I use them in all my vehicles that call for that. I’m going to call Hisun and see what they say. I’ll let you know if your interested and if not no biggy 

IIRC, my manual also said 10-30.  Living in Texas (hot summers), I have always believed that stepping up in viscosity never hurts anything.  After 40+ years, I have never had an issue in any of my vehicles or toys.  But ultimately, it's your call.

Don't mean to be a negative nancy, but based on my experience, you will have other issues with your Hisun long before you have issues related to oil viscosity.

CC

Oh no problem, I get it. I’m an Amsoil guy so I understand where your coming from. Buts that’s a whole different animal if you know what I mean. I had added another post about valve adjustment at 20 hours. Do you care to comment. And thanks for your input, I have an opened mind and willing to listen. This is how we all learn the good and bad. Just sorry I wasn’t on this forum earlier, I would have purchased something else for what I read, lol

51 minutes ago, Roadstar515 said:

Oh no problem, I get it. I’m an Amsoil guy so I understand where your coming from. Buts that’s a whole different animal if you know what I mean. I had added another post about valve adjustment at 20 hours. Do you care to comment. And thanks for your input, I have an opened mind and willing to listen. This is how we all learn the good and bad. Just sorry I wasn’t on this forum earlier, I would have purchased something else for what I read, lol

I never adjusted the valves.  I traded mine for a Kubota after 80 hours.  I did so because I had 3 lab reports run on the oil.  It was eating itself from the inside out.  I dumped it before I got stuck with a boat anchor.  My advice would be that you get the oil analyzed.  I use Blackstone Labs.  They will mail you a collection kit.  You mail it back to them.  You get a report that shows all of the details and he explains what they mean.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

CC

Well that’s exciting news, NOT!!! Really not looking forward to that. Maybe if I run 10W30 it won’t happen (lol) just kidding. I’m still wondering if the valves really need to be checked like the book says or it’s just another way to get it in the shop for more revenue. My use for this machine is just to drive it around the neighborhood with the wife. It will probably never see dirt seeing I bought it for her. Don’t see us playing hard but it may not take that either from what I’m reading. We would have got a gas powered golf cart but they can’t make it up the inclines we have in the Georgia mountains

5 minutes ago, Roadstar515 said:

Well that’s exciting news, NOT!!! Really not looking forward to that. Maybe if I run 10W30 it won’t happen (lol) just kidding. I’m still wondering if the valves really need to be checked like the book says or it’s just another way to get it in the shop for more revenue. My use for this machine is just to drive it around the neighborhood with the wife. It will probably never see dirt seeing I bought it for her. Don’t see us playing hard but it may not take that either from what I’m reading. We would have got a gas powered golf cart but they can’t make it up the inclines we have in the Georgia mountains

Well, as my aunt always tells me "don't borrow trouble".  You may not have a lemon like I did.   Getting an oil analysis will protect at least some of your investment if it turns out to be a similar situation.  At least you will know that you need to take steps before it completely seizes up.  I wouldn't worry about the valves right now if it were me.  You would know if they were way out of whack.   Engine bogging down.  Loss of power when it warms up. etc.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

CC 

5 minutes ago, mcraigchr said:

Well, as my aunt always tells me "don't borrow trouble".  You may not have a lemon like I did.   Getting an oil analysis will protect at least some of your investment if it turns out to be a similar situation.  At least you will know that you need to take steps before it completely seizes up.  I wouldn't worry about the valves right now if it were me.  You would know if they were way out of whack.   Engine bogging down.  Loss of power when it warms up. etc.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

CC 

Forgot to ask you, what year was yours and size

• 4 weeks later...