Quantcast

Coleman 2021 ut 400 will not shift Into reverse.

I recently bought a 2021 Coleman ut 400 although it is a 2021 I bought it new. From the start it would pop out of reverse. After driving it for about a half an hour, I backed up and it popped out of reverse. I researched the forums and tried to adjust the shift cable. No matter what I do there is no reverse. There was no noise or slamming in and out of gear. It just stopped pulling. Has anyone  experienced a similar problem and how do I fix it. Any information would be appreciated. 

Roger -

Inability to properly shift into both Forward and Reverse is a common problem with this unit. You get one or the other along with gear grinding. It is what appears to be a design flaw with the Coleman UTV400. Another thread exists on this board describing it. Two fixes so far: DIY an extension to the shift handle to increase the throw distance or wait for Coleman to supply a fix-it-kit to your Warranty Service Shop and get it done there. In my case? Still waiting.

However, we've been able to mostly make things work. On our Coleman UTV400, Forward works fine with an occasional gear grind starting out. Reverse was and is a better-pay-attention issue. We found that rather than slamming the gear shift all the way to the bottom of its throw, stop approx. halfways between Neutral and full bottom. With a hand on the shifter and fluttering the gas pedal, we've found that usually we can feel the shifter (and transmission) settle into Reverse. 

Until a real fix happens, we don't put ourselves in any MustBackOut situations.  

Regards,

Ted in OK

• Thanks 1

COLEMAN UT 400 NO REVERSE WE FOUND THE CURE! In our case adjustment would make the UT 400 go into reverse but you would loose forward in the doing, very frustrating!  However when removing the seat and the upper engine cover you can see the shift lever clearly and with the cable adjusted properly to engage forward and the ever so annoying ratchet sound of reverse gears we found if you apply slight pressure to the shift lever on the transmission it would engage! Turns out there is just simply not enough throw on the cable, So back up to the shift lever and noticed there is a stop next to the detent on the lever that if slightly more gap would allow just a bit more throw. So here is the cure, Remove the nut (10MM) on the cable post, remove the C clip from the pivot post, remove the bezel ring at the shift lever by bending straight the tabs and remove the shift lever. I used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cut off wheel and removed about 1/2 of the stop on the inside edge next to where the detent ball will sit on both the reverse and forward sides of the lever (cuz lets just be certain) After reassembly it was noted that simply holding the shift lever into the gear you want and ever so gently tapping the throttle the transmission selects both forward and reverse every time without fail. You see the cable is only as long as it is and adjusting it will only make it go one direction further, but by removing a bit of metal it allows the whole thing to travel just enough to make the difference.  I'm not going to say this is the end all be all but it sure worked for us and maybe with a bit of luck will for you as well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2023 at 11:40 AM, Mr Penny said:

COLEMAN UT 400 NO REVERSE WE FOUND THE CURE! In our case adjustment would make the UT 400 go into reverse but you would loose forward in the doing, very frustrating!  However when removing the seat and the upper engine cover you can see the shift lever clearly and with the cable adjusted properly to engage forward and the ever so annoying ratchet sound of reverse gears we found if you apply slight pressure to the shift lever on the transmission it would engage! Turns out there is just simply not enough throw on the cable, So back up to the shift lever and noticed there is a stop next to the detent on the lever that if slightly more gap would allow just a bit more throw. So here is the cure, Remove the nut (10MM) on the cable post, remove the C clip from the pivot post, remove the bezel ring at the shift lever by bending straight the tabs and remove the shift lever. I used a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder with a cut off wheel and removed about 1/2 of the stop on the inside edge next to where the detent ball will sit on both the reverse and forward sides of the lever (cuz lets just be certain) After reassembly it was noted that simply holding the shift lever into the gear you want and ever so gently tapping the throttle the transmission selects both forward and reverse every time without fail. You see the cable is only as long as it is and adjusting it will only make it go one direction further, but by removing a bit of metal it allows the whole thing to travel just enough to make the difference.  I'm not going to say this is the end all be all but it sure worked for us and maybe with a bit of luck will for you as well. 

I can see how that would help, but in the lever there is a machined/cut cam slot that the detent ball rides on.  If you "over stroke" the shift lever, you are now trying to raise the detent back out.  I get why you did this, but in my case, having the same issues, I elected to do the shift lever extension of 3/4".

I posted the thread prior and pictures of what I did.  With the approximate 3/4" longer lever, you get the added throw in both directions and still stay well withing the detent ball alignment.  Even if you cannot do the welding yourself, remove the shift arm and take it to be lengthened.  Reinstall it and you should be good to go, of course with the proper shift cable adjustment.

This DOES NOT eliminate any internal issues you might have in the shifter assembly at the transmission.  "MOST" of us only have the "too short of travel" issue and the longer shift are does take care of that without any modifications to the hole in the dash or bezel for the shifter.  I think a couple people here have had internal problems and of course the shifter cable travel will NOT help.

The detents on the shifter still allow for proper movement and the F/N/R light works as it should.

Good luck with your fix and hope it remains a fix for you.  I know mine has a good solid fix as I've plowed this winter with it several times and pushed some big drifts with it.  Before I did the shifter extension, it would jump out of reverse most of the time I needed to give it a bit of throttle.  The second snow storm I had the fix done and the remainder of the winter and even now, no issues.

Again, good luck and a few pictures of your modifications might help others here.

Thanks for posting, Dan

• Like 1