Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
WHD

Fuel pump failures

My 2008 400 Mule (KAF 400A) destroys fuel pumps. The first one lasted about 150 hours, the next lasted about 75 hours, the next one lasted about 25 hours. The last pump lasted only a few minutes. I have also changed the fuel filter and breather when changing the fuel pump. When I go up a hill or accelerate on level ground oil is sent into the carb and blue smoke comes out the tail pipe. If I back off the gas it will go back to a smooth idle.

It idles and starts with no problem.

My 2008 400 Mule (KAF 400A) destroys fuel pumps. The first one lasted about 150 hours, the next lasted about 75 hours, the next one lasted about 25 hours. The last pump lasted only a few minutes. I have also changed the fuel filter and breather when changing the fuel pump. When I go up a hill or accelerate on level ground oil is sent into the carb and blue smoke comes out the tail pipe. If I back off the gas it will go back to a smooth idle.

It idles and starts with no problem.

I don't have a mule -but maybe I can help. I have worked on engines for 35+ years. The late model mule has basicially a lawn mower engine. Of those the fuel pump is usually operated off the crankcase pressure. make sure you are installing new gaskets-if the fuel pump is of the type that bolts to the side of the block. next make sure no mud dobber wasps have plugged any holes in the end of hoses or tubes/vents. You mave have oil pumping up into the air filter housing at/by the carb because of excessive crank case pressureblow-by, -blocked vent tube(s), restricted air filter, oil overfill, . As far as life of the fuel pump-there may be trash or sand in the fuel tank rupturing the diaphram.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• By rjfrider
      Mule Pro MX question:  Is there a trick to removing the center floor panel or "tunnel" other than removing the 8 plastic rivets?  I removed the rivets but the panel won't pop up easily, and I don't want to force it with a crow bar so as not to break some tabs or other hidden parts.  Accessory mount instruction attached.  Thanks for your help.  rider
      Mule Pro MX floor tunnel.pdf
    • By CAPTAINSTARFLEET
      Greetings all
       I have a 99 kawasaki mule 550  kaf300c3 That I ordered new valve guides for. Problem is my valves don't fit in new valve guides. Part number is correct. 
       Is it possible that valve guides need to be installed and reamed before the valves will fit into the  guides?   Just seems like an awful lot of material to have to remove by reaming.
      Thanks for any help

• By rtate1050
      I've had my Massimo 500 for about a month. So far I'm really happy with it and until today haven't had any issues . When It was delivered, the fuel gauge had one bar so I put a couple of gallons in to get me going. Still showed one bar on gauge but I figured not enough to register. Today I thought that I'd add a 5 gal can to top off. Well, I learned that the gauge wasn't working when, you guesssed it, the tank overflowed after a couple of gallons in. Still only one bar on gauge.
      I could probably figure this out by starting with the basics (checking wires , the sending unit , etc. ) but before I got a-rippin and a-tearin , I thought I might save some time and I'd check and see if anyone had already had  this problem and what the fix was.  This is a 2007 with the electronic dash. Everything else seems to work . Any help would be appreciated .
      Rich
    • By dant849
      This looks to be a pretty common topic and I've had issues with mine overheating since I got it back around the end of 2019. Started running hot again, thermostat was not opening and they sent me a new one. Installed that, burped the system for air all to no avail. Next in line is the water pump to replace, they sent me a water pump and when I got the old one off it was not turning freely to say the least so I'm thinking that could have been my problem. My issue now is getting the slot in the water pump shaft to line up with the tab inside the engine of the machine. Any tricks to doing this? Thanks in advance
    • By Joe Breaux
      Has anyone tried using an external electric water pump on these machines?  I watched a video on youtube of one installed on a 1000 cc  side by side that had chronic overheating issues in hot weather.. He claimed that after installing a Prius  electric automotive  pump from junk yard, inline in the inlet hose and bypassing fan temp switch,  that the engine never overheated again. .. I am considering trying it on mine...................... Anybody  else done this? .................. He did not say if he removed the mechanical pump or not.. would it pump thru that pump?