Quantcast

Oil pressure in Sand Viper 1100

I ran my Sand Viper 1100 about 70 miles a few days ago with no problems. Today I washed the vehicle including the engine. After about 30 milutes I started it with no problems but the oil light was on very dim. The engine started to knock and I turned it off immediately. I checked the oil and it was only 1 quart low. I added oil and restarted it 3 more times with the same result. On the 4th try I let it run a few seconds and the knocking went away and the oil light went out. I use Mobil1 oil so the viscosity should always be the same. Does this sound like the beginning of an oil pump problem. I know in colder climates thick oil will take longer to circulate through the engine and some knocking noise is common, but this is not my problem. I'm just looking for suggestion. Thanks

Guest Lenny

I'd put an oil pressure gauge on it for starters. One quart low for an engine that only holds 3 and some quarts is more then I'd like to see.

Lenny