Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
UTVBoard News

U.S. Probes Off-Road Vehicles After a String of Accidents

The Yamaha Rhino, a hit in the off-road-vehicle market, promises to go "almost anywhere" with an "amazingly high level of comfort and ease." Now, federal safety regulators are investigating the vehicle following reports of some 30 deaths involving it, including those of two young girls last month.

The Rhino also has drawn keen interest from the plaintiffs' bar: Yamaha faces more than 200 lawsuits in state and federal courts, many alleging the Rhino's design is unsafe. Yamaha has settled some but recently beefed up its defense and says it may start to fight rather than settle.

YamahaRhino2008-1-738026.jpg

Yamaha stands behind the design of the Rhino, a two-seat vehicle that looks a little like a cross between a golf cart and all-terrain vehicle. The Consumer Product Safety Commission said its investigation of this type of vehicle, which it calls a utility terrain vehicle, or UTV, was prompted by various factors, including the number of accident reports and the lawsuits. The Rhino is at the center of its investigation, people familiar with it said.

The rest of the story can be found at:

Wall Street Journal - U.S. Probes Off-Road Vehicles After a String of Accidents

Yamaha Rhino Pictures and Specifications

Yamaha Rhino Review

View the full article

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• By Carl Rhodes
      2017 Honda pioneer with front tires 27-9R12 (rims 6.5 wide) and back tires 27-11R-12 (rims 8.0 wide).  What issues if mounting theses tires on rims 7 wide?
    • By Julie Doeppke
      We bought a Hisun 700 UTV, used. It has an issue when you run it in high. It drives but acts like it is shifting when you get around 35mph. Clutch looks good. Read many articles and not sure transmission or something in rear of UTV. Looking for any advice.     
    • By rtate1050
      I recently ordered some parts for my 2017 MSU 500 and when they came there was a brochure included that gave some hints for making Hisun motors run better . Most of them made sense but one suggestion was to raise the oil level by 3/4qt. (bottom of dip-stick threads) to improve wet shoe clutch wear . I'm not yet familiar with the power train on UTV's (but I'm a-larnin') but this goes against what I was always taught about overfilling oil levels. These guys seem to know their stuff (Motorcycle Doctor ) but I'm wondering if anyone has any input on this .
      BTW...They did have one good suggestion about blowing all of the old oil out of the oil cooler when doing an oil change.  When doing an oil change on my cars, this is something that I've always done ( I was taught by an old school mech. MANY yr=ears ago) but is rarely ,if ever , done in a garage. You'd be surprised at the amt. of dirty oil that you avoid adding to your fresh oil. Just remember to recheck oil level after running the engine and top off the oil.
    • By johnpeter
      2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R On Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Yamaha-YXZ1000R-Side-by-Side-UTV-1400-Miles-Windshield-Wipers-Here-YOU-GO/114423845643?

• By trzepka
      Hi, I'm new to UTVs, and I'm in the market for a used one. I'm looking at (for the same price)  a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 EPS with 4500 miles, a 2018 Kymco UXV 700i (with new 14" aluminum wheels) with  only 400 miles, or a CF Moto U800 with only 300 miles. I'm told Hondas last longer, and are easier to service, and obviously the 1000cc is more powerful than the 700, but is that all worth 4000 miles on the clock? FWIW, this vehicle will mostly be driving back and forth short distances on pretty rugged logging roads (up to about 25% grade) with plenty of rocks) transporting people, trailering lumber, and carrying building supplies. Won't be putting lots of miles on it but it needs to be rugged and up to the task.