Quantcast

Sign in to follow this  
UTVBoard News

Off-road shop bucks manufacturing trends

By JUDITH B. DOWNING

Contributing Writer

While manufacturers in the Inland Empire report a dim outlook for business as they feel the effects of the slumping economy, one custom off-road business in Corona has seen its business grow 10 percent to 20 percent a month since it opened nine months ago.

"Business may be way down in general from two years ago, but we're not seeing it," said Javier Padilla, co-owner of No Limitz Motorsports.

Dune buggies, or sand rails, and side-by-sides are popular vehicles for desert enthusiasts. The sport is competitive and flashy. Many owners customize and personalize their vehicles and show them off at rallies and gatherings.

Sand rails typically start at $13,000 to $55,000 for the chassis. Making them fully functional adds another $32,000 to $75,000, depending on the options, which can include suspension, lights, cages, wheels and seats.

Side-by-sides -- so named because they come with two seats side by side -- were introduced in fall 2003 and have become wildly popular. Models include the Polaris Ranger, Yamaha Rhino and Honda Big Red.

Since March, No Limitz has customized five Polaris Razor side-by-sides for a customer in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Upon completion they are shipped directly to Dubai for resale. In this case, the client purchased each side-by-side for $10,200 from a California dealer and turned them over to No Limitz Motorsports to have them customized for an additional $20,000 to $25,000 each.

The Dubai connection is leading to additional opportunities, Padilla said. He is considering offering fully packaged Dubai tours for off-road enthusiasts. The tours will feature fully loaded side-by-sides provided by No Limitz. They will be waiting for clients on their arrival.

"Being diversified has really helped our business," Padilla said. "The desert market has been active recently. We're getting a lot of work there."

People buy their basic side-by-side for about $10,000 to $12,000, Padilla said. "Then they come to No Limitz and spend an average of $7,000 on custom work."

No Limitz converts side-by-sides from two to four seats, adds cup holders and stereos, upgrades the suspension, and maintains the vehicles.

Full Article: http://www.thebizpress.com/news/stories/BP_News_Local_S_bp_1222_offroad.1.2a2c971.html

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Forum Topics

• We have changed our business name

Hello to all, and thank you for your business with us at 250UTV.com We have just changed our name to WARRIORS OFF ROAD as a result of increased business from the entire line up of HiSUN UTV's for parts and accessories.  So now you can get us at www.warriorsoffroad.com Thank you to all who have made us great.

By strike250, in Hisun UTV SxS Forum

• 0 replies
    • Mule Pro FXR Report

Picked up my Mule in late November and have been using it a lot over the past few weekends. This UTV just keeps on amazing me of what it can do. I have lots of old logging trails that have been overtaken by brush and sappling's that my 4X4 truck can no longer navigate through, but the Mule plows through and over anything in its path. I have a natural gas line running up a steep hill that is covered in limestone and other huge rocks that the Mule has conquered going up and down and sideways. Going through pastures at 25 mph as smooth as a Cadillac on the highway is really nice. I have yet to try deep mud or snow but that should be coming soon in the next few weeks, I hope. She may not be a speed demon like some of the others out there, but she will climb with the best of them.  

By toddstang, in Kawasaki UTV SxS Forum

• 5 replies
    • Yoshio's Custom 1600

Some pics of my new bug   bought like this, just stock

By Yoshio, in UTV Pictures and Videos

• 7 replies
    • Yoshios Custom Joyner SV1100

just some pics from stock to now stock   winter tear down, new design new elektronics, lights, seats new rims and brakes actual setup    

By Yoshio, in UTV Pictures and Videos

• 26 replies
    • Casting Call! new online reality offroad show

CASTING CALL ONLINE OFF ROAD REALTY TV SERIES Do you have a reality show idea based around your passion for off roading and the lifestyle you live? Are you creative? Do you think outside of the box? Are you a character and willing to share your life for all to see? Do you compete in any type of off road racing? (Not necessary) Have a story that just needs telling? We want to hear all your ideas. We are is looking for talented individual’s and personalities like yourself who may have an idea or want to star in an off road reality series based around off roading and the lifestyle we love. If you have an idea or know someone who wants to be in reality show contact us with your pitch. Guidelines for presenting ideas • Video submittal: will be no more than 2:00 minute long describing your pitch idea. • Written submittal: describe in 300 words or less your concept idea and why you think your idea will work for reality. • Individual Casting Calls: individuals who think they have what it takes to be in an off road reality show must send a bio and a brief description about yourself and why you want to be a part of an off road reality show. Email all submissions to: [email protected] Please submit all videos using https://www.wetransfer.com If your pitch is selected we will contact you and discuss what the next step will be.

By realityoffroad, in General Discussion - Anything

• 2 replies