Quantcast

2021 Coleman UT400 - Transmission fluid change

Hi All,

New to UTVs and recently accuired a ut400 from our local Alaska Commercial Co. and had a questions regarding the transmission fluid. I have had a squeeling noise, sounds like a teapot, that recently started after being driven for a few minutes. The manual says to change the fluid at 500 miles, so I was thinking maybe its just time for this to be changed. Other then that I cannot find any information regarding the type used. While reading through these forums, I seen someone put that the transmission is lubricated with the engine oil. Is this true? If not what should I be using and where can I find the information to change it out? Any input on this would be greatly appretiated!

Thanks in advance

Yes the transmission is lubricated by engine oil just like a motorcycle.

Also like most motorcycles it transmits power using a wet clutch. Due to the wet clutch you need an oil that is compatable to prevent slipping. Use oils that are rated MA or MA2. A lot of automotive oils have special viscosity modifiers that will cause slipping.

The drive squealing is likely a drive belt or primary/secondary clutch. They are under the plastic cover on the left side of the motor. They operate the same way a snowmobile or belt driven ATV does. There is a service manual in the downloads section for instructions on how to replace.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 8:06 AM, aefron88 said:

Use oils that are rated MA or MA2. A lot of automotive oils have special viscosity modifiers that will cause slipping.

Great tip!  I’ve been looking at Amisol full synthetic after the starter oil is done.

https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

how would I know it’s rated MA or MA2? Got any recommendations?  I normally check project farm on YouTube considering his testing on oils (and other products!)

It should say on the back. The exception being that Shell Rotella does not say it's MA and it's ok to use. I don't believe regular Amsoil is MA rated, but I'm sure they do sell some MA rated oils that labeled for motorcycles/powerboats use.Screenshot_20221017_063623.jpg.73fb4013ad3256625e76653949ac27ea.jpg

Here's the relevant section frm your document. For each weight of oil it lists the specs that it meets; API SN, Ford or GM blah blah...no MA or MA2 for any of the oils listed.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 10/8/2022 at 8:06 AM, aefron88 said:

There is a service manual in the downloads section for instructions on how to replace.

I looked through the download section and only seen 2 service manuals, but they are for the Hisun ut400. Would that be a service manual compatible to the Coleman ut400? One seems to be for a Hisun 2014 and the other for a 2020 Hisun. I have a 2021 Colman and would assume the 2020 Hisun service manual would be the closest to use, if the Hisun is the same machine and the Coleman. Please advise, thank you.

• 6 months later...

sorry for the delay on this, I assume you have figured it out by now but for anyone that comes along later:

Yes, the Coleman UT400 is the same as the Hisun HS400. Same for the various other sizes, all Coleman UTVs are rebadged models made by Hisun. The service manuals leave a lot to be desired, and leave out some important steps, but if you have some mechanical experience you should be able to  figure out the missing parts.