Quantcast

WHAT UTV for off roading n towing

On a modest budget $10k or less trying to find a decent UTV.  Most say for that price go Same Club Coleman is good for $7k or Lowes Axis UTV for $9k or Bass Pro Tracker 600 ATV $9k But seems many say stick with the Massimo because its beefier which is another affordable brand.  I need in the next 2 months.  Use to have a Kawasaki Prairie 450 it was great till it went in for its first service, so dumb to bring it in instead of doing service myself, never worked again.  Now Need something soon to clear some flat land but rough terrain, logs on ground holes etc its the woods that drops off on edge so need it to haul some of our fat arsses back up if we go over the side to haul logs.  Its probably 45 degree incline.  Any thoughts??

I would steer clear of a belt driven machine for heavy towing and steep hills. Under load the belts can start to slip, and once they start you will burn em up fast. These things are really meant to tow light loads, if any. Skidding smaller logs with a log arch might be doable on flattish terrain.

If it's actually 45 degrees you aren't likely to find a vehicle that's safe to operate on it.

Coleman/Axis are both rebadged Hisuns. Massimo is the other major Chinese brand. When looking at Massimo be aware that the numbers don't always correspond with the motor CCs like they do with most other brands, for example a T-Boss 410 is 352 CCs. Tracker is made by Textron/Arctic Cat.

What's the issue with the Kawi?

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Pat
      I was riding at approx 30mph when I heard a very loud noise.  Engine immediately died and coasted roughly 50ft.  There was a trail of oil and now the machine is locked up.  Will not crank or go in to neutral.  Machine has 3300 miles. 
    • By Butcher6868
      I have a Coleman ut400, when I use the winch to raise the plow the battery light comes on, once I let off the switch the light goes off. Does anyone know if that’s normal?
    • By cnapierala
      We have 2.4 acres of forested mountain property with about 1000' of gravel driveway to plow and maintain.  My trailer is a Silverwing SW9f 5'x9' and we would really like to have something that seats 3 people.  I looked at Polaris, Yamaha, Can-AM, Kawasaki and so far the only thing that fits the bill is the Polaris Ranger 570 full size. 
      Just wondering if anyone else has ideas of other options new or used that would fit this?  I really like my trailer and it will be great to use behind the UTV also when i get it so i hate to have to get something different.
      Thank you!
    • By Marcus Bentley
      Bought my coleman u400 from TSC last year, was running great. I live on a lake and use it almost daily to climb a pretty steep hill from my house down a path to the water. Last week was driving up the hill and it just quit. First thought was I'd run out of gas but it has almost a full tank of gas in it.  Have tried to get it to restart and the lights come on and it tries to turn over but won't catch. Checked the battery and tried to jump it just in case but it's not that. Checked the starter and it's good. Can't find the spark plug to even check that. I called the local repair guy in town and he told me he doesn't work on Hisun since it's all shit and I'd be better off burning the damn thing so that's been no help. Would appreciate any other ideas. 
    • Dream Car Giveaway
    • By TexasBuckeye
      I ordered remote control hardware from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P2G4T22?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and initially installed module behind the switch panel and wired it into the winch control switch.  After researching the 2014 HiSun service manual posted by another forum member, I discovered a better way to implement (fyi-this is not documented any Coleman service manual that I could find)  My UTV is a 2022 model, but the wiring appeared to be the same for my model. 
      There was an unconnected Molex plug hanging under hood on the driver side (Molex#33471-3301), (see photo).  I purchased a Molex 3 wire connector ((Molex#216283-1032) directly from Molex  for $5.82 including tax & shipping.  This connector has the 3 wire pigtail to easily splice to the remote control module wiring.  https://www.molex.com/molex/products/part-detail/cable_assemblies/2162831032 .
      I added a ground stud near the parking brake mechanism in order to connect the black wire from the module see photo) .  I added velcro to the module and then secured with zip ties to the back of the nameplate bracket (see photo). 
      See the wiring diagram for hook-up that I used.  The loose blue wire is the antenna so it is not connected to anything.  

Molex Wiring.pdf
  • Gallery Images