Quantcast

axle shaft

plumber

How do you get the axle shaft out of the differentail I don't see the big circlip do you have to take the stub axle apart or can you take it lose from the upper and lower ball joints

No you don't have to take it apart. To pull the axel out of the CV joint next to the diff, you have to pull the rubber boot back, clean up the greese as best as you can. You will see just inside the inner diameter of the bell that houses the CV joint, not but about 1/8" in, is a round wire clip. Look around, it's there. This must be removed and the Axel with the CV guts will slide out. However, this doesn't need to be taken apart. Leave it alone and slide the whole assembly CV joint including the CV's outter housing off the diff stub axel all at once. There is a round wire clip that you can't get to, when you pry the assembly away from the diff hard enough, this clip compresses in itself so the shaft can slide out. Kind of like a round ball latch on a kitchen door that springs in when you pull the door open. To put it back together, just line everything up and give the extended axel end a good kick with he bottom of your shoe while sitting on the floor. It should pop back together. Hope this helps.

Lenny

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.