Quantcast

Carb tuning

huunz

I've got the 650 Spider, the one with the two cylinder engine and side draft carb. The right plug was cold/not firing, so I changed the plugs out (thanks Silverbullet for the plug type, and this forum for how to do it) and then tackled the intake. When I pulled the air filter tube off, there was standing gas in the carb inlet. Because of what I found, I took off the carb top, cleaned the needle and seat, although they looked fine, and put it back together. I started it up and it ran great. BUT.... if i wanted to change the needle and seat, say to a Viton setup vs. the solid needle, where would I look? Do any Japanese bikes or quads fit? I found the oil filter is the same threads as my 91 Nissan 2.4L pickup, so other parts might cross as well. One issue i can see is that carbs have not been used on cars in the US since about 86.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By BeachBuggy
      Massimo Buck 250 less than a year old.  900 miles on it.  Live on beach in TX...i.e. corrosive salt air and normally mild temps.
      The story - one day, it randomly quit on idle and was tough to restart.  Next day, it occasionally cut out for 1-2 seconds while driving, then catch back to normal throttle.  Pumped gas pedal, not sure if that helped it catch.  Added some marine sta-bil and filled tank.  Ran well after that for a day.  Following day, wouldn't start.  Turns over, cranks, but won't start.  When it quit on idle that was the first time driven since we did have a freeze of ~25 degrees.
      Full charge on battery. No spark.  Changed plug and still no spark.  Fuses look good, but fuse connection box has some loose clasps and spade were corroded. I bent clasps best I could and used dielectric on spades re-inserted.  Cleaned and checked every connection I could find.  Don't have a card reader to hook up, but did swapped ECU just to check that, and no change...after swapping ECU the engine light now stays on.  Previously blinked and then goes away.
      Under warranty but service place is 2 hrs away. 
      thanks!

• By Jon Spruill
      Hey Guys, I have been chasing a stalling condition for about two weeks now. The bike will crank up and idle fine, then after about 20 seconds it will fall on its face and stall. It happens at both idle and while running at various rpms. You can turn the key off, turn it back on and it will fire right back up without trouble. I have verified spark on both cylinders with a spark tester. I have also added an inline fuel filter, and pulled the injectors to verify proper pulse on each. Things I have replaced - (relearn procedure performed after each component replaced): spark plugs, ECU, relay/fuse box, fuel pump, & throttle position sensor - all with no improvement of the condition. The only warning light I get when the condition occurs is the oil lamp. The bike only has 14 miles. I am at a loss and appreciate any help and suggestions! Thanks
    • By Andy McGee
      I would like to perform most all my own servicing on the Kubota rtv-x1140. What is the best way to raise the machine for skid plate removal, etc?  I would like it to be parallel with the ground after elevated. It is difficult for me doing that lying under it on the ground.  I’m not certain where safe lift points are. Can I use a residential 2 post car lift?, or is a “drive on” platform the only option?
    • By johnpeter
      Polaris Ranger side by side can am On Ebay
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/325481809207?

• By FGT
      Am starting a major transformation of a ndw Mule Pro FXT to turn it into a Reliable Scouting & Hunting Vehicle.  Interested in first finding the absolute best off road forum that has great participation the more technical areas like planning accessory wiring, ground clearance options and bracket lifts.  Someplace where people who know how to do stuff, participate.  Is this a good forum for more technical stuff and where there are Mule owners who upgrade and work on their machines? My project is taking a new Mule Pro FXT and taking it through a complete project from adding lots of electrical, adding a fuse block, ground block, OEM heater, dual battery system, gun rack, sound system, nav display, inverter power outlets, 360 degree LEDs, cabin lights, W/S, phase 2 upgraded tires, full cab, rear W/S, and so on.
  • Gallery Images