Quantcast

Testing Joyner Alternator

rocmoc

First upfront I want to say, I took my Trooper alternator to O'Reilly Auto Parts to be tested. Since I knew they would not have a parts sale & said it upfront as the part is not available, I purchased gear oil & tail light bulbs to ease the pain of wasting their time. They do these test for the hope of a parts sale. It is only right if they won't take a few $ for doing the test, a purchase should be made. IMHO!

Process,

Using their equipment, you have to input the year, car manufacture & model so the test equipment knows what to look for. We used 1988-89 Suzuki Samurai, thanks to whoever it was that came up with this is a close match. Suzuki alt has a 3 wire plug but it will work. The test equipment will look at the overal alt output which is in the 13+ to 15 V range. Then it will look for the output to the three wire plug. Since the Trooper alt has one less wires than the Suzuki, the test results will show ONE failed. Everything else will show as passed. If the person doing the test switches the wires for the plug on the test equipment, the failed test will move to the other terminal. Bottom line is the output passes and so does the plug. I also went by and talked to a friend who is an old-time mechanic, in other words my age, about pulling the battery cable off the positive terminal of the battery. He also said if the alt was not putting out, the engine would die. Hope this helps others as this becomes an issue in the future.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.